Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Are you KIDDING me? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/you-kidding-me-86446/)

txpossum 03-13-2013 01:44 PM

Are you KIDDING me?

I'm looking at gun prices these days, and am soooo glad that over the years I have acquired my basic battery, and can pick and choose my deals these days. I realize that the "you want WHAT for that gun" frame of mind is a sign that I have joined the ranks of "old grits" but . . . damn. Just damn.

Six months ago I shook my head in disbelief when I saw a used Ruger Mini-14 going for $650 in a local gunship, thinking "who in the hell would pay THAT". Now they're being sold for over $1000. It's not a thousand dollar gun.

But the price shock is not limited to those that are suddenly being snatched up for fear of an "assault" weapons ban. It's hard to find a decent price on just about ANY firearm these days.

But, as I said, fortunately my basic needs (as we know, though, its not how many guns you need, it's how many you want. I'll let you know when I reach that point.) are met, and I can pick and choose my deals.

The last gun I bought was last month, when I got a 1969 Ruger Super Single Six Convertable .22/.22 mag in very good condition for $350; a couple of months before that it was a 1924 Winchester Model 12 in good conditon for $225.00; and I really thought a couple of months before that I paid too much for a Colt Series 80 (once again in excellent condition) for $650.00. Three years ago I got a Smith Model 19, once again in like new condition for $250.00, and a Smith M & P, made in 1943, for $250.00 (but it had been re-blued, looked real nice but any collector value dimished -- however, I bought it to shoot and it does so just fine).

Any comments out there about the price of guns these days, and any good deals you've found recently?

Garadex 03-13-2013 03:04 PM

I got started with guns about three years ago, I'm screwed when it comes to getting my "base" collection completed. Of the 7 guns in my house 2 are mine, hopefully 3 by July.

Olympus 03-13-2013 03:38 PM

Unless you've been living under a rock, most of us have already become desensitized to the inflated prices. It's old news.

txpossum 03-13-2013 03:38 PM

I think prices will go down somewhat in the next few months. As far as a base collection, just take it slowly but surely, save a little money, and look for the deals. Often there is someone who needs extra money in a hurry.

hardluk1 03-13-2013 04:05 PM

225 bucks for a model 12 is a give away price 40 years ago and most any functional comdition. Firearm price saround here have not changed.

txpossum 03-13-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1174573)
Unless you've been living under a rock, most of us have already become desensitized to the inflated prices. It's old news.

I know, but I'm bored and wanted to start a discussion. Sorry, if you're not interested in this thread, and next time I won't force you to read it.

gr8oldguy 03-13-2013 04:15 PM

Here's a good example. A couple of years ago I bought a 4" Rossi 38spl from CTD. I paid $257. I was walking around a gun show and saw that model Rossi, used for $497! There are a lot of low down dirty scum taking advantage of the situation. I for one will not do business with them. This panic will pass.

rhyno13 03-13-2013 04:16 PM

I have a good selection of guns already and I would eventually like to get another AR, but I refuse to pay over $700 for an AR15 0r $999 for an AR10. I will get one one of these days when the right deal comes along.

Olympus 03-13-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1174593)

I know, but I'm bored and wanted to start a discussion. Sorry, if you're not interested in this thread, and next time I won't force you to read it.

Nothing wrong with trying to strike up a conversation. I just meant that you might not get a lot of traffic. It's a topic that's been picked over quite a bit lately.

txpossum 03-13-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8oldguy (Post 1174597)
Here's a good example. A couple of years ago I bought a 4" Rossi 38spl from CTD. I paid $257. I was walking around a gun show and saw that model Rossi, used for $497! There are a lot of low down dirty scum taking advantage of the situation. I for one will not do business with them. This panic will pass.

A used Rossi for almost $500? I hope nobody bought it. Yep, I don't mind a gun dealer making a living -- heck, I had an FFL for a while several years ago -- but I'm sorta making note which gun dealers around here are gouging, and will remember that in future dealings with ;em.