YEAH I'm going there :D
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > YEAH I'm going there :D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default YEAH I'm going there :D

ok so i see alot of hype about the 1911's. not just here either i hear alot of the guys at the gun shops talk about them too, what is so special about the 1911's that i am missing???

seriously though, i am not being sarcastic, i just really want to know why alot of people worship this pistol

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Usually it's either personal preference, or the fanboy syndrome.

The 1911 is a good design, and has stood the test of time. The platform is mechanically very accurate, the ergonomics are wonderful and intuitive, and the firearm is great for novice thru advanced shooters.

With that said, there are many other platforms out there that provide capabilities that either match or surpass the 1911. The best thing to do is to do your own research about the platform, then try one out yourself.

You are going to see fanboys that swear by many of the popular brand names, regardless of where you go:

1911s
Glock
Springfield armory XDs
Taurus
etc.......

Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Usually it's either personal preference, or the fanboy syndrome.

The 1911 is a good design, and has stood the test of time. The platform is mechanically very accurate, the ergonomics are wonderful and intuitive, and the firearm is great for novice thru advanced shooters.

With that said, there are many other platforms out there that provide capabilities that either match or surpass the 1911. The best thing to do is to do your own research about the platform, then try one out yourself.

You are going to see fanboys that swear by many of the popular brand names, regardless of where you go:

1911s
Glock
Springfield armory XDs
Taurus
etc.......
thank you, what cal is the 1911? 9mm 40?

Old 10-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusselin View Post
thank you, what cal is the 1911? 9mm 40?
You can get a 1911 in .45 ACP, .45 GAP, .40 S&W, 9x19mm (9mm parrabellum), 9x23mm, 10mm .22 LR, .17 HMR & .38 Super calibers. The most popular is gonna be .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9x19. The .38 Super used to be quite common but now is primarily used by competition shooters.

The primary reason I love a 1911 is the trigger on it. The trigger pull is short, light and crisp. No other pistol made has as good a trigger as a 1911 and no other pistol made double taps as well as a 1911 (in my opinion). Other reasons to get a 1911 is the simplicity in working on it (be it repair or modifications) plus being able to buy every part you need to build one from scratch. I often say that 1911's are "the Harley Davidson's of handguns" for those reasons. There are also a bunch of holsters, grips, sights and other accessories for the pistols. You can get versions with 5" barrels (government length), 4" & 4.25" barrels (commander length) and 3" to 3.5" models (officer length). You can get 1911's in all blued steel (frames & slide), all stainless steel (frames & slide) or ones with lighter weight aluminum frames as well as variants with polymer frames.

Being a single action design that is meant to be carried cocked and locked does mean that it requires more practice and dedication to feel confident and be proficient with it as compared to modern DAO designs. However Para-Ordinance builds a modified 1911 design called the LDA. It has the same shape, feel and size of a 1911 but with a DAO (double action only) trigger). If you don't feel comfortable carrying a pistol cocked and locked (hammer back, round chambered & safety on) then this is the one you should look at in a 1911 design. Para Ordinance makes great, reliable, accurate pistols. They make wide body designs that take high capacity double stack magazines as well as traditional slim line single stack magazine models. I like the single stack magazine models better due to the size of my hands.

Try out a good 1911 (Colt, Nighthawk, S&W, Les Bauer, Kimber, Springfield, H&K, Ed Brown, Para-Ordinance, Wilson, STI, RIA, and Taurus) some may be a little pricey, but you pay for quality in a handgun like a Harley, and no doubt with use, you will eventually make your way to the "Dark Side!"

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
ok so i see alot of hype about the 1911's. not just here either i hear alot of the guys at the gun shops talk about them too, what is so special about the 1911's that i am missing???

seriously though, i am not being sarcastic, i just really want to know why alot of people worship this pistol

1911's are great guns, but not everyone prefers them. I have a hard time giving the money they want for them, but one day I will anyway. My friend has a Taurus 1911 in .45acp, he paid $800 for it. I paid $550 for my CZ 75B and I am more accurate with it and it feels better to me.
The higher end 1911's will be more accurate with practice than my CZ I'm almost sure of it.

1911's are also single action only, which I do not like. To carry a 1911 you have to performa an action after you draw. You'll either have to switch the safety or cock the hammer depending on how you carry. I prefer to pull and shoot if I have to. I can do that with the xd safely with one in the pipe.

Go to the range and handle a 1911, shoot a 1911,etc...just remember there are other platforms out there as well.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #6

well i just bought this bad boy

but you guys have loaded me up with info and i am really happy with this forum seriously, thank you gfuys for not judging me for my ignorance. With your info though i have a few questions if you dont mind

in the post above you mentioned the .45acp and .45gap, what is the difference there

and single action and double action i am not 100% clear on what that is exactly can you guys enlighten me on that, i really think a 1911 may be my next purchase

Last edited by Jusselin; 10-18-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
i just really want to know why alot of people worship this pistol
We all started with that thought. When we were young and new everything.

Who needs a single action pistol?

It only holds 8 rounds?!?!

It's 100 year old design and everyone knows there isn't anything that was built in that time that wasn't improved.

It's for old guys and people who aren't in tune with the dangers of today.

Then we got a little older. Then we started doing a little reading. Gaining insight from people who have walked hundreds of miles in shoes none of us would ever WANT to be in.

We learned about the history of guys like Cooper, Ayoob, Vickers and Lee Haney. We read up on police departments dumping their tacti-cool pistols and going back to the 1911 design.

Slowly, we start to question what we "know" and being to embrace what others have been preaching.

Bottom line - you and Gojo aren't ready yet. Eventually, you will be, but right now, you are still invincible and you still know everything....

JD

Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8945 Times on 3871 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

The .45 GAP (Glock Auto Pistol) is a shorter .45 cal cartridge than the .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol- the traditional .45 Auto) Developed for the Glock pistol, but chambered in other pistols as well, Does NOT interchange with standard .45.

And while I DO like the 1911 design, I like the High Power better.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
well i just bought this bad boy

but you guys have loaded me up with info and i am really happy with this forum seriously, thank you gfuys for not judging me for my ignorance. With your info though i have a few questions if you dont mind

in the post above you mentioned the .45acp and .45gap, what is the difference there

and single action and double action i am not 100% clear on what that is exactly can you guys enlighten me on that, i really think a 1911 may be my next purchase
Nice firearm purchase. BUT do yourself a favor and get some practice in and god dam man get yer finger off the trigger unless you have yer sights on something and are ready to shoot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never even put yer finger in there til you are !!!!!!!!! And from the looks of your picture you are sitting in a vehicle so I doubt you are ready to shoot, unless you are in a prius than maybe you are and my apologies .. but looks to me like yer sittin in a ford pick up

Old 10-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Nice firearm purchase. BUT do yourself a favor and get some practice in and god dam man get yer finger off the trigger unless you have yer sights on something and are ready to shoot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never even put yer finger in there til you are !!!!!!!!! And from the looks of your picture you are sitting in a vehicle
... and it looks like muzzle is pointed at the passengers knee, if thats a leg in the lower right corner of pic