Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Xmas present I won over my anti-gun mother in law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Xmas present I won over my anti-gun mother in law

My mother in law never cared for guns, her sister almost got shot by a drunk ex husband. She never got on my case about my guns, "once shown they were all secured". We were talking on x-mas and she's finnaly gonna come to the range with the family and me She even got me a gun case for x mas wich is way better then the usual shaving kit can't wait for spring to show her how much fun firearms can be

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19814 Times on 11249 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert999 View Post
My mother in law never cared for guns, her sister almost got shot by a drunk ex husband. She never got on my case about my guns, "once shown they were all secured". We were talking on x-mas and she's finnaly gonna come to the range with the family and me She even got me a gun case for x mas wich is way better then the usual shaving kit can't wait for spring to show her how much fun firearms can be
be responsible and start her out by showing her and explaining the rules of safety. being responsible and putting safety first will improve her reaction to firearms.

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Kool- one little step at a time

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #4

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert999
As much fun as it is to give a MIL a .357 mag slipped in when you have them shooting .38's, keep her shooting the smallest caliber you have till she is hooked.

Leave the wife at home

Have fun
Old 12-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5248 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 330

please dont let her shoot anything but a 22lr rifle or 22lr decent sized handgun like a ruger mk3 or something along those lines. nothing unpleasent. letting a new person shoot a 500sw or a small pocket rocket like a lcr/lcp as their first experience confirms that guns are "bad" in their limited experience

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #6

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
please dont let her shoot anything but a 22lr rifle or 22lr decent sized handgun like a ruger mk3 or something along those lines. nothing unpleasent. letting a new person shoot a 500sw or a small pocket rocket like a lcr/lcp as their first experience confirms that guns are "bad" in their limited experience
Probably very sound advice, this!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Also ask if after shooting a 22 a bit if she cares to try an AR. That's the rifle that converted my wife. Good luck

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
be responsible and start her out by showing her and explaining the rules of safety. being responsible and putting safety first will improve her reaction to firearms.
As much fun as it is to give a MIL a .357 mag slipped in when you have them shooting .38's, keep her shooting the smallest caliber you have till she is hooked

Most def first thing i told her was i already have enough safty gear for everybody, and she has 2 .22 rifles and a .22 revolver till she is ready for something bigger