XDs or Glocks - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

XDs or Glocks

View Poll Results: So what one do you like?
XDs 92 30.07%
Glocks 91 29.74%
anything but one of those 123 40.20%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here's some of my findings about the XD.

First off: There is the whole argument that the XD has a terrible bore axis in realtion to the operator's hand. The axis is claimed to be too high when compared to other pistols, which ultimately results in poor recoil management. Let's see if that's true.

First pic is my XD9 service model (4" barrel with no frills)
XDs or Glocks - General Handgun Discussion

This pic is my S&W Sigma SW40VE

This pic is my Ruger P95PR

From these pics you can see that the bore/trigger measurements are all 2 inches (give or take about 1/8 of an inch) from the top of the slide to right about where the trigger finger will be during firing. My conclusion is that the bore axis myth is unfounded. There is nothing wrong with the bore axis of the Springfield XD pistols.

Bore axis myth busted.

Note: Keep in mind that the S&W Sigma is a product which measures almost the same as a Glock. They are pretty much the same pistols, which the exception of the trigger mechanisms, and the barrels. Hence, the reason S&W was sued by Glock years ago for stealing the design.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #52

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Next here is the measurements from the back of the grip, which is more important in regards to recoil management, and pistol control.

Here is the XD9

Here is the S&W Sigma

and here is the Ruger P95

When compared to each other, you can see there is not much of a difference. The XD and the Sigma are pretty much the same, and the Ruger has a little more bulk on the back strap.

The Glock will measure out roughly the same as the XD and the Sigma. This makes me conclude that the XD is not going to be uncomfortable while shooting (btw, I already know this, because I won all the guns in these pics, and have fired them all).

Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #53

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Next, the internals of the Springfield XD pistol

First pic is of the bottom receiver (frame) of the pistol. You will notice the areas where the slide makes direct contact with the receiver. Please note that the rear rails are indeed made of polymer, and so is the small guide rails at the very front of the frame. The guide rails/slide block in the middle of the receiver is made of metal, and does have significant bulk. This is a good indicator of a quality product. The Glock and Sigma models have small metal inserts where the slide mates with the lower receiver. This is not a bad thing, but I believe the XD went a step further in the name of durability.

This second pic is the slide assembly of the Springfield XD pistol. There is nothing super special about this, but this is just to show what the slide detail is of the XD.

This pic is the recoil spring/rod assembly of the XD. I think this is a great improvement over the Glock design. All of the components are metal, and it obvious that more thought was put into the design.

Make your own decisions about the quality, but I think everyone should be agreeing that this pistol is more then a "Saturday Night Special" as Recon 173 stated

Quote:
Glock all the way. The only reason why the XD was made was because something had to fill in the void for all those missing Saturday Night Specials...

Last edited by SGT-MILLER; 03-10-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #54

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Last is my favorite point about the XD which is grumbled about constantly.

This is a pic of the grip safety (1911-style)

Alot of people actually view this as a negative mark for this pistol. To each their own, but I will say one thing regarding this:

People love the saying "My trigger finger is my safety". Go back through history, and tell me what has failed more over the history of firearms?

1. Has the failures of mechanical safeties been more responsible for accidental discharges of firearms, or

2. Has the failures of trigger finger safeties been more responsible for accidental discharges of firearms.

?????????????

I think everyone knows the answer. There is nothing wrong with having a grip safety on a firearm. Especially if the grip safety is well designed, and not even noticeable when holding the pistol. I cannot see how this is a negative thing.

I hope my last few posts have helped some people out there make a good choice as to what firearm they may purchase next, and I hope some people maybe have learned something.

In the end, it's up to you what firearms are good for you. Stick to what works for YOU. Just make sure you are educated about the firearm you choose.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #55

Liked 301 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 139

And EXACTLY how much experience do YOU have with BOTH??????? Exactly what qualifies you to make a statement like that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon 173 View Post
Glock all the way. The only reason why the XD was made was because something had to fill in the void for all those missing Saturday Night Specials...

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #56

My 1st choice is the Beretta/Stoeger Cougar 8000F...If you need a polymer gun added to the list for me, the choice would be a Ruger P95 or Beretta PX4.

Last edited by 8000F; 03-12-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #57

Liked 1463 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
And EXACTLY how much experience do YOU have with BOTH??????? Exactly what qualifies you to make a statement like that???
Oh no Recon, now you've gone and done it!

It's not good to piss-off the Bear!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #58

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've test fired a number of Glocks and I owned an XD. Both worked just fine. I liked the feel of the XD better. The XD never failed once, was very accurate, and was very easy to maintain.

The only reason I got rid of my XD was because I picked up a Browning Hi Power. I considered the HP an improvement, so the XD was superfluous.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #59

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It's hard to beat a Browning HP. I would like to have one, but they are expensive these days.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #60

Hey Sarge --

Let's see if you can't suck up more band-width with your posts, slow my dial-up connection down to a crawl. Maybe you could post W I D E R photos, make it necessary to scroll across the page to read the post . . . ???

NCO' s . . . Jeez! Don't get me started.