Wrong handed
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Wrong handed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4556 Times on 2534 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Default Wrong handed

I seem to have a problem, I'm left handed (my Grandpa tells me I'm wrong handed) but my dominant eye is my right eye. I learned to shoot rifles and shotguns from my Grandpa so I shoot them right handed, and pretty decent. When I pick up a handgun it feels best in my left hand. So I'm shooting with my left hand and aiming with my right eye or trying to shoot right handed and neither seem to be working for me, anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #2

Liked 3376 Times on 1521 Posts
Likes Given: 3087

I'm right handed and left eyed but I shoot with my right eye cause it is easier. I tried shooting right handed and left eye but it feels wierd.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

When you shoot left handed, see if you can find a head angle that allows you to use your dominant/right eye to aim. My shooting buddy is blind in his left eye and he shoots left handed. He's found a way to use his right eye to aim and he's deadly accurate with a long gun or a handgun.

Keep fooling with it and see if maybe you can get comfortable that way.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 05-24-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Smear some vaseline on the right lens of your shooting glasses when you shoot your pistol.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 AM   #5

Liked 1317 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 635

I'm right handed/left eye dominant.
I have always shot long guns left handed,but have trained myself to also shoot right handed/right eye.
Now I can shoot almost as good right handed as I do left handed.

I used to only shoot pistols,right hand/right eye,but have also been shooting left hand/left eye with rimfires.But after I got used to the feel of the weapon in my weak hand,and worked on my technique,I can shoot almost as good with my weak hand.

It takes time and a lot of practice to get your brain retrained to do it both ways.I hoping to be shooting my 1911's weak hand soon,but for now,I'll stick with the rimfires until I'm sure my brain and hand/eye are on the same page.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #6

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I am left handed and right eyed as well. I shoot rifle, shotgun, pistol, and bows (not often) right handed. I am as comfortable with a pistol in my left hand as with my right.

You may try as CA357 said and try to hold so you sight with your right eye, it isn't that hard, I do it when I shoot left handed. Or, if your non dominant eye has good vision, (mine doesn't) close or cover your dominant eye and train that way to see how it works out. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i have the same problem, right handed left eye dominant. I shot a lot of trap and skeet and since i can't do pretty much anything left handed. I put a piece of scotch tape over my left eye, It solved the problem, by tricking my brain some how...I ain't no doctor so i don't know exactly why, but it switches the eye your dominant with. Pistols i dont really have a problem with.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Please don't call left handed people "Wrong handed".

If you look up famous left handed people you will find a lot more than sports figures.

Famous Left-Handers

Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #9

Liked 781 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 847

I keep both eyes open! I shoot left and right. Can't do it w/ a rifle.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I keep both eyes open! I shoot left and right. Can't do it w/ a rifle.
+ 1 just not with a scoped rifle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”