Would you guys make this trade? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Would you guys make this trade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I doubt taurus ever supplied and firearms to the CIA or any other US goverment department. At best they coppied something but it's a low end firearm and not worth much, same can be said for your keltec in rough condition.
The "CIA" is just part of the model designation, model 850. I don't think there's supposed to be any implication that the Central Intimidation Agency used them.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Taurus makes "low end" firearms either. When you start making comparisons between 1911's, a Taurus next to JD'S Night Hawk may make it seem so, but there is nothing wrong with Taurus' quality.

It is a copy though, in some respects. So are the PT series of semi autos. Taurus bought machinery and designs from Beretta (hence the similarity to the 92F) and Smith and Wesson, so the similarities to S&W revolvers make sense. There's nothing wrong with a "copy" either. If there was the 1911 and AR markets would belong to Colt's Manufacturing alone. Same with CZ clones. Just in the last few months Armalite has started advertising their "new" AR 24. Just a copy of a CZ 75.

Taurus' manufacturing plant is in Brazil. That doesn't make them any less usable or of lower quality. Springfield Armory has 1911 frames made in Brazil. The Springfield XD is made in frikkin' Croatia. Croatia? Are you kidding me? Not really known for their firearms export industry, but people are snapping them up.

The Kel Tec is a P3AT. I have one as a back up/ cover gun. That is the sole purpose of that gun. I've put about 300 rounds of ball and Hydra Shock through it with no issues. I have a Taurus 66 that is a woods gun. Hundreds of full bore 357 rounds with no issues.

Both guns are lower in price, but neither is "low end". I would grab the Taurus in a second.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jeep you have to admit the CIA was a marketing thing, if not what was the designation meant for?

I wasn't comparing the Taurus to JD's Hawk, I was comparing it to my Kimber, my Colt and my S&W M&P 45. Or for the point of comparrison and the pistol in question a lot of used 1911's and there resale value. The Taurus in question is at the shallow in of the resale pool. Same can be said for the Keltec in rough condition.

I believe you pay for what you get and while they work for awhile some simply are not as good, hence the intial price and the resale value. It's more than my opinion it is millions of gun owners that make it fact.

Never said they were a bad firearm

Old 03-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #13

I wasn't trying to come off like a prick, hope you didn't take it that way.

Given the choice I'd opt for a any of the pistols (1911 design) you mentioned over the Taurus, except the Smith but that choice is based on some of the companies past policy, not product quality.

I only used the 1911 comparison because off hand, I can't think of more than 4 companies that as part of their a major sales, offer double action revolvers. Smith, which probably dominates the market by virtue of sheer models offered, Ruger, Taurus and Charter Arms who seems to be making a comeback. Never owned a Charter Arms, so I won't comment, but of the remaining three, I would pick Ruger first, Taurus then S&W (same reason as above).

Just thinking that a crappy guitar for a beat Kel Tec hide out gun for a Taurus 850 makes a pretty good deal for the OP.

As far as the CIA using Taurus firearms... I am sure somewhere, sometime, somebody got dead by an unknown person from an unknown country with no government ties, using a Taurus. I am not into advertising but I am thinking that's not a good angle

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #14

Thanks for the input . I traded for the taurus and actually really like the revolver. I will probly end up keeping this for a carry gun. Now I am very happy cause at first I was trading thinking I could sell it for 200 and ending up getting a nice little shooter!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 AM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Jeep you have to admit the CIA was a marketing thing, if not what was the designation meant for?
CIA was the designation of a lightweight hamerless snubby revolver series... acronyms for Carry It Anywhere...
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE