Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Would You...? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/would-you-868/)

takethebait 06-07-2007 03:47 PM

Would You...?

Would you trust your life with a cartridge that has rave reviews but you've never fired from your personal weapon?

allmons 06-07-2007 05:09 PM

No.

I want to shoot it, know it's characteristics and KNOW how my gun performs with said ammunition.

I wouldn't trust my life with an unproven firearm or ammunition.

:eek:

RONSERESURPLUS 06-07-2007 06:10 PM

Would I?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I only use what I test,and test what I use! Untested item can get one Killed, why would I wanna chance that?

BrassMonkey 06-07-2007 08:28 PM

Not without testing the round for fuction in my gun first.

BLS33 06-08-2007 05:49 AM

Yep I agree with the above, it has to be tested first. You can't go on reviews alone.

Declaration Day 06-08-2007 11:57 PM

I would definitely test any round I intend to carry for self defense. I've carried Federal Premiums and Cor-Bons in the past, but now I handload my defensive ammo.

DWARREN123 07-04-2007 01:14 PM

NO! I always test the firearm and round, at least 250 rounds, before trusting for SD.

robocop10mm 07-05-2007 03:42 PM

Would u?

Never trust any loading with out at least 100-200 rounds down range, especially in an auto.

Never handload your HD ammo. If you have to use it, a personal injury lawyer WILL paint you as some sort of homicidal maniac. There is absolutely no reason to handload your HD ammo. There are plenty of great loads available at the retail level.

pioneer461 07-10-2007 11:00 PM

Beware of gun reviewers. Sometimes they are sponsored by a certain manufacturer and write friendly articles.

deerhuntguy 07-11-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Declaration Day (Post 2873)
I would definitely test any round I intend to carry for self defense. I've carried Federal Premiums and Cor-Bons in the past, but now I handload my defensive ammo.

I pray you never are in a situation where you have to use one (or more) of your hand loads. They will bite your a** in any criminal or civil trial that may result from that incident - lethal force justified or not.

Masad Ayob can explain better than I the reasons you should not use hand loads in your carry gun. But in a nut shell, to avoid legal problems, use factory loads in your carry gun. Crooked and uninformed lawyers/DA's will do their best to bury you if you use a hand load, and a jury or Judge un-knowlageable about firearms will convict. You may wind up paying big bucks to the crook (or his/her heirs) who tried to rob/rape/kill you, and/or get to spend many years behind bars, even though the use of lethal force was justified.

Hand loads are fine for practice, but not for carry.

Check out one of Masad's many articals on the subject.

In answer to the original poster's question - HECK NO! Just because it works in the tester's arm does not mean it will cycle in mine or be as accurate - even if they are the same make and model.