Would if you could? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Would if you could?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Very nicely put, Axxe! And to be honest, the only Glock in the house belongs to my wife - I carry Springfield .45 Tactical slung with a Viridian light/laser. I included the Glock story because, as Axxe stated, it emphasizes the level of safety already manufactured into firearms by most manufacturers. As you stated yourself, Wolf, those safeties are redundant - the biggest safety is the guy controlling the trigger finger: if he is flawed, nothing will prevent an eventual accident.
any object is only as safe as the person using it, whether it be a gun, a car or a power tool. there are many people hurt or killed in car accidents and with power tools of all types, but why do guns get the emphasis? IMO, it's wrongly accused! also i believe a gun to no more dangerous than a car or a power tool if used properly.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #32

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

I do know a person who shot himself in the leg with a 1911 while carrying it. And he is and always has been an idiot. I'm way more likely to be injured or killed at work by so many different hazards before I'm shot by myself.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 580 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 183

If regulations weren't such a pain,, I'd get a suppressor for my Nighthawk AAC. I think it would be damn nice, but the setting up trusts, paying lawyers to do it right and the cost of the stamp is just too outlandish for my tastes,, but it would be awful slick though.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7622 Times on 4192 Posts
Likes Given: 7354

As many of you have stated, I also am not a big fan of so called "safeties."

On a SA, like a 1911, the thumb safety is necessary. On DA no safety makes any sense to me. The long heavy DA trigger pull is the safety.

And magazine disconnectors make no sense on any weapon.

The only REAL safety is behind your eyeballs.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
As many of you have stated, I also am not a big fan of so called "safeties."

On a SA, like a 1911, the thumb safety is necessary. On DA no safety makes any sense to me. The long heavy DA trigger pull is the safety.

And magazine disconnectors make no sense on any weapon.

The only REAL safety is behind your eyeballs.
Do you find the grip safety on the XD line objectionable?
I have one and find it comforting.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
I do know a person who shot himself in the leg with a 1911 while carrying it. And he is and always has been an idiot. I'm way more likely to be injured or killed at work by so many different hazards before I'm shot by myself.
I know a judge that shot himself in the leg with a S&W Mod 36. It wasn't the fault of the firearm, and he freely admitted it. His first words to me when we walked in were, "I just shot my dumb ### in the leg." to which I mumbled something he didn't need to hear. Thankfully his ears were still ringing and he didn't. It's a good thing, too. He presided over my divorce about a month later.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I knew an idiot who shot himself in the foot two times (double toe tap) with a suppressed ruger 10-22 some years ago. It was a really quiet action on that rifle. Dude's son laughed at him and swore their wolf-hybrid dog was laughing too. Idiot never heard it fire; he clenched when the first round went through his foot and that fired off another round of 40 grain pain. He had to hop home through the woods.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Do you find the grip safety on the XD line objectionable?
I have one and find it comforting.
I found it very comforting until one day when I was trying out a new Kydex IWB holster. I unloaded the firearm, checked it again, and went to put it in the holster. When I heard the firing pin drop I realized I had a false sense of security. I don't know what hit the trigger, but I know for a fact it wasn't my finger. The act of holstering the pistol puts your hand right where it needs to be to release that safety. You really need to be careful. From that day on I would start the pistol into the holster and then finish up by pushing on the back of the slide.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #39

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

I found it very comforting until one day when I was trying out a new Kydex IWB holster. I unloaded the firearm, checked it again, and went to put it in the holster. When I heard the firing pin drop I realized I had a false sense of security. I don't know what hit the trigger, but I know for a fact it wasn't my finger. The act of holstering the pistol puts your hand right where it needs to be to release that safety. You really need to be careful. From that day on I would start the pistol into the holster and then finish up by pushing on the back of the slide.
I think you should've been focused more on what engaged the trigger!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I think you should've been focused more on what engaged the trigger!
I thought I was, but whatever tripped it wasn't seen by me. How do you think I'm so sure it wasn't my finger? Luckily the problem never repeated itself, but you can bet I stayed away from that grip safety when holstering.

Newest Threads