Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Would if you could?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

All my 1911s would have the same trigger pull, same sights, same shape grips, same magazine release, same grip safety, and main spring housing.

My double action revolvers would have good sights, smooth trigger pulls with the same weight pull.

I can understand your wanting a heavy trigger pull. My experience has been that when a trigger pull is too heavy, I lose my sight alignment when the sear releases the trigger. Kinda like a slow ketchup bottle.... "Com'n baby, com'n baby, com'n baby.....Oops, too much!"

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
What, if anything, would you do to your gun(s) were it possible or cost effective enough to do so?

I'd have heavier triggers put in. I don't like how light my SAO triggers are. Even with manual safety engaged I feel like they could go off just by looking at them. Obvious exaggeration, but I'm an exaggerana and it makes its point.

Not sure what they are currently being decade old, but came stock with 7.5lb triggers. If that's what they are I want 12-14lb!
BTB,

When Glock first came out with their first gun, magazine writers were loathe to think of them as safe because of the fact that they had no external safety other than the one on the trigger itself. So Glock invited a group of writers to an airport with bins of parts. They assembled a gun by taking one part from each bin (random choice), loaded the magazine with ammunition, chambered a round, and then tied a rope to the trigger guard. The Glock rep then jumped into a helicopter which rose 200' (20 stories) in the air and hovered. The rep dropped the loaded Glock with no safeties again and again and again, pulling it back up each time with the rope. After almost 200 drops onto solid concrete, the gun fell apart, ammunition scattering on the ground. The round in the chamber never went off.

The writers were all highly impressed and wrote glowing reviews of Glock Safe Action and its new safety system.

Why do I relate this story? Because I used to believe in manual safeties and strong trigger pulls. As a responsible gun owner, I should want as many safeties as possible, right? But during an actual life-threatening encounter, all fine motor skills go out the window and those "safeties" that make me feel good could cost me my life. I finally figured out I needed a manual of arms that made me comfortable with the gun and me with it. I started taking police-led basic shooting classes, then the advanced pistol classes where you wear body armor and actually use the Shoot House. As my training increased, I was actually glad I didn't have a bunch of levers, buttons and switches to interfere with muzzle safety, target identification and background awareness. As my shooting skill increased, I found I wasn't uncomfortable with my "safety-less" gun.

Modern firearms do not "accidentally discharge" no more than someone can be "killed cleaning their gun." AD is an excuse for an unsafe trigger pull and the latter is an euphemism for suicide, invented by the media to save face for rich or political families that had a member take their own life. The gun has been blamed long enough. it's time we put the onus of responsibility where it belongs - the gun user. Gun manufacturers have made firearms 100% safe except for the user.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #23

Liked 2394 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1885

Greg, at first I was going to make a rude remark about

drinking the cool-aid.

IMO, the redundant safeties on my 1911s and 92fs are

some of their best, and I must add time-proven, features.

What has time produced for Glock?

Glock Leg...

Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #24

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 678

I wish I could just find a new hammer and firing pin for my Medusa.......

Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5077 Times on 2888 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

All of my pistols would have 8-9 lb DA and 3lb SA All would have "Big Dot" night sights.

All of my scopes would be Night force, Swarovski or Schmidt & Binder.

My bolt guns would all have single set triggers, 8 oz set and 2 lbs unset. My semi autos would be converted to select fire and have 3.0 lb triggers, A.C.O.G.s and rails for thermal imaging add ons.

My Benelli M2 would be modified for a 10 round drum, and barrel cut to 12 inches.

And I'd have a pulsed plasma rifle, in the 40 watt range.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #26

Liked 239 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Very cool Bob! That's more like it. Wish I knew as much as you.
There was a time when I knew less than you. But I bought books and read them and bought guns and shot them. In time I became fairly knowledgeable in the field of the handgun. Still learnin', though.

Bob Wright
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would have a frikkin rail and scope mount drilled and tapped on my SKS, then have both it and the GP100 ceracoated in OD and have my old Mossberg 500 hard chromed and its receiver anodized black. I would also have the slide on my CZ75b ceracoated in flat-FLAT black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
BTB,

When Glock first came out with their first gun, magazine writers were loathe to think of them as safe because of the fact that they had no external safety other than the one on the trigger itself. So Glock invited a group of writers to an airport with bins of parts. They assembled a gun by taking one part from each bin (random choice), loaded the magazine with ammunition, chambered a round, and then tied a rope to the trigger guard. The Glock rep then jumped into a helicopter which rose 200' (20 stories) in the air and hovered. The rep dropped the loaded Glock with no safeties again and again and again, pulling it back up each time with the rope. After almost 200 drops onto solid concrete, the gun fell apart, ammunition scattering on the ground. The round in the chamber never went off.

The writers were all highly impressed and wrote glowing reviews of Glock Safe Action and its new safety system.
Were there strikers/firing pins in those bins?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #28

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Change my two handguns to a pile of diamonds so I can buy more handguns.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

People Like This 
Old 05-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #29
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19554 Times on 11098 Posts
Likes Given: 49205

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Greg, at first I was going to make a rude remark about

drinking the cool-aid.

IMO, the redundant safeties on my 1911s and 92fs are

some of their best, and I must add time-proven, features.

What has time produced for Glock?

Glock Leg...
Wolf that's still a fault of the user, not the Glock. that was the point that Greg was making. all the safeties or lack of will not compensate for a user not practicing safe firearms handling.
People Like This 
Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #30
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Wolf that's still a fault of the user, not the Glock. that was the point that Greg was making. all the safeties or lack of will not compensate for a user not practicing safe firearms handling.
Very nicely put, Axxe! And to be honest, the only Glock in the house belongs to my wife - I carry Springfield .45 Tactical slung with a Viridian light/laser. I included the Glock story because, as Axxe stated, it emphasizes the level of safety already manufactured into firearms by most manufacturers. As you stated yourself, Wolf, those safeties are redundant - the biggest safety is the guy controlling the trigger finger: if he is flawed, nothing will prevent an eventual accident.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 05-03-2013 at 02:11 AM.
axxe55 Likes This