Worst Handgun You Ever Owned? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Worst Handgun You Ever Owned?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
my father has my grandfather's H&R 9 shot 22 pistol with a 6" barrel. i am not sure of the model number, but it isn't a top break, but has a swing out cylinder. it was the pistol my father and grandfather taught my brother and i to shoot with. after my father got the pistol and we moved to the farm, that was the pistol Dad had us use with shotshells to kill rats, mice or snakes in the barn to keep from putting holes in the walls of his barn. my brother and i would use it occasionally to squirrel hunt with. at 10-20 yards, it was deadly on squirrels.

it was as said, no Colt or S&W, but it was a solid and reliable pistol. it was also just plain fun to shoot or hunt with too. that pistol holds a lot of memories for me as it was my first pistol to shoot and it also belonged to my grandfather, and then passed to my father.
Axxe,

Those H&Rs were a hoot to shoot and also the very first handgun I learned to shoot with.

Two of my cousins and I always hunted and fished together along with our parents,one Christmas I guess our parents talked about xmas gifts?

All three of us boys were given H&R revolvers for Christmas,I was the youngest 11 or 12 years old. We hunted every weekend whatever was in season and our only worries back then? That we had enough shotgun shells and 22 ammo lol
In all the years hunting and plinking with those revolvers unsupervised,we never had a single mishap or accidental discharge..The game and varmints sure were nervous in that part of the country though. Haha
Old 12-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 500

I've owned several that were bad, but when one is young, foolish and poor, the quality of handguns purchased is often not what we would wish it to be. The worst among the lot was a small, German-made, double barrel .22 rimfire with exposed hammers. Tripping the release would allow the barrels to twist about 45 degrees counterclockwise so it could be loaded/unloaded. It was nickel-plated with some cheap material used for the grip, wood or plastic, I couldn't tell. It functioned every time but, at 4 to 6 feet, the bullets were already key-holing. Needless to say, I got rid of it quickly!

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #83

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine was a jimenz ja9 true POS but my PT92 hasn't had any problems so far

Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #84

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

For me it was my Kahr PM9, no question. I really liked the gun and I wanted to be able to carry it but I never could get it to cycle reliably. Even after sending back to Kahr a few times. It seemed the issue was a known problem that affected a lot of owners. Different fixes seemed to solve it. I tried everything to no avail.

I ended up selling it, letting the new owner know about all the issues and work before hand. I wonder if they ever worked out the bugs on it.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #85

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
For me it was my Kahr PM9, no question. I really liked the gun and I wanted to be able to carry it but I never could get it to cycle reliably. Even after sending back to Kahr a few times. It seemed the issue was a known problem that affected a lot of owners. Different fixes seemed to solve it. I tried everything to no avail.

I ended up selling it, letting the new owner know about all the issues and work before hand. I wonder if they ever worked out the bugs on it.
Damn,
I've been wanting a Kahr PM9 for CCW but I'm always hearing conflicted stories about it.Some love it and say it works great,others say it's a jamomatic.

Last edited by WillWork4Ammo; 01-01-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Default Pm9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo View Post
Damn,
I've been wanting a Kahr PM9 for CCW but I'm always hearing conflicted stories about it.Some love it and say it works great,others say it's a jamomatic.
As I've said before, all guns can fail, regardless of manufacturer. My first major failure was a S&W 19-3, but I still have other Smith's. Over the past few yeasr I've experienced a major failure with a Glock G36 that would not feed more than a few rounds at a time. After 9 different Glock armorers in 8 different states (at GSSF matches) and 2 trips back to Glock, I sold it. The Glock G26 that I won shot 9 inches to the left at 10 yards & after a trip back to Glock with no resolution, it went down the road too. I still have numerous other Glocks that I use & trust & I recommend them without hesitation (among others). My Kahr PM9 is a gem! It has worked flawlessly since the first shot with all ammo except Winchester PDX1. I carry it routinely and trust it implicitly. I use Hornady Critical Defense for carry & some practice & ball ammo for matches & practice. Don't let some stories restrict your choice. Chances are you'll get a good one, regardless of manufacturer.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #87

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo View Post
Damn,
Yeah, and it's sad really because it could be such a great gun. I wouldn't buy one new since they're so hit or miss. My suggestion would be to buy one used and see if they'll let you take it to the range and run a box of ammo through it.

Last edited by Polygon; 01-01-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #88

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kahr CW40 hated that gun and its trigger only gun ive ever sold or traded.Took back yo LGS and traded for LCR 38. As for H&R 999 Sportsman Top Break Model have owned one for more than 20 years never a problem and still shoots well

Old 01-03-2014, 01:44 AM   #89

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
As I've said before, all guns can fail, regardless of manufacturer. My first major failure was a S&W 19-3, but I still have other Smith's. Over the past few yeasr I've experienced a major failure with a Glock G36 that would not feed more than a few rounds at a time. After 9 different Glock armorers in 8 different states (at GSSF matches) and 2 trips back to Glock, I sold it. The Glock G26 that I won shot 9 inches to the left at 10 yards & after a trip back to Glock with no resolution, it went down the road too. I still have numerous other Glocks that I use & trust & I recommend them without hesitation (among others). My Kahr PM9 is a gem! It has worked flawlessly since the first shot with all ammo except Winchester PDX1. I carry it routinely and trust it implicitly. I use Hornady Critical Defense for carry & some practice & ball ammo for matches & practice. Don't let some stories restrict your choice. Chances are you'll get a good one, regardless of manufacturer.
I agree.The Beretta NANO has a reputation among many with jamming as well,but mine has never gave me a problem.Same with my Hi-Points (they are just very heavy.lol)

Old 01-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Taurus PT738 in .380. That gun wouldn't cycle a full mag to save it's ass. Finally sold it. Completely unreliable.

My GSG 1911 .22 would come in a close second. I still have it but it's finicky. I've done all the upgrades to it (guide rod-springs, ect.) but it still is problematic. When I go the the range I take the kids with and they shoot the .22's. The Ruger SR22 and the Buckmark are great and I never have a problem with them, but I spend plenty of time dinking around with the GSG.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."