Worried about magazine - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Worried about magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #21
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Yep. Sorry little dude. One doesn't play with deadly weapons. Especially ones that are there to protect your family's life. Grow some balls and explain what you did, why you did it, why it was stupid, and accept the consequences. Maybe grandpa will surprise you and take you out shooting after he chews you out, but respect you more for being responsible for your actions.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Shooting is the second thing one loses interest in. Fortuantely, I am stil interested in #1 so I am OK.

The rattling can be disconcerting, but is perfectly normal in many guns. Stop messing with things you know little about. Next you are going to try to take apart an electrical line transformer and you WILL be toast.
I worked in power plants for years and we usually had a few stray cats that lived on site. A few times on a cold night one would find a way into a 4160/600 V transformer to get warm. Once the they tripped out the breaker and you opened up the transformer to see what was going on you would find it without a single drop of moisture in its body. Kinda puts a weird grin on their face.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Question: why wasn't the gun in a safe or locked ? Not much the kids Fault then the Grandfather.
But I here you guys talking down to him. Kids are Normally Curious. You tell a kid don't open that box. And that's what he will think of threw the whole day. Movies, music, and tv is about guns. I think the gun should of been lock somehow. And everyone in the house or come to the house that will stay there should know about guns. Threw Safety videos books and hands on. My gf kid ( girl 14) perked up when I was over my dads house showing my Relatives the guns we have. I think I have to talk to my gf about Introducing my gun to her. I have a 9mm And have a .22 on its way (California law). I thinking when I get that we will have a talk about if she ready for the Introduction.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #24
CJx

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockly View Post
Question: why wasn't the gun in a safe or locked ? Not much the kids Fault then the Grandfather.
But I here you guys talking down to him. Kids are Normally Curious. You tell a kid don't open that box. And that's what he will think of threw the whole day. Movies, music, and tv is about guns. I think the gun should of been lock somehow. And everyone in the house or come to the house that will stay there should know about guns. Threw Safety videos books and hands on. My gf kid ( girl 14) perked up when I was over my dads house showing my Relatives the guns we have. I think I have to talk to my gf about Introducing my gun to her. I have a 9mm And have a .22 on its way (California law). I thinking when I get that we will have a talk about if she ready for the Introduction.
I'm an adult bud... but everyone gets curious so in that respect I guess I do have kid like qualities.

Last edited by CJx; 08-23-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx

I'm an adult buddy... but everyone gets curious so in that respect I guess I do have kid like qualities.
Yeah your 19. But you don't send a 21 year old in a car on the highway that don't know how to drive or a 35 year old in a plane that don have a clue how to fly. It's a thing you need to teach someone to use. It's a Dangerous thing. It take a one guy to run 220 to your Garage or Kitchen. But I'm not going to run threw my house. I would get someone to do it for me or teach me how it's done.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #26

Liked 926 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I find it interesting that the OP knew (correctly), to call it a magazine, knows what gun (exactly), it goes to, and managed to find his way here to ask the question, (in the correct category, no less), but thinks "you have to be a surgeon" to load a magazine. Funny. I know a lot of people who couldn't do the 1st 3 things, but have no trouble with loading a mag.

OP, why don't you go to a couple gun shops, and try to find somebody who'll teach you some things? Or a range? Or take a class? Keep reading here. Buy some magazines, books.
When I was your age, I also had an interest in guns, but I had a little experience, a youth program at the local Fish and Game club, Boy Scouts. But a lot of what I learned came from doing. I bought and sold a lot of guns. Saw a lot of shops. And I didn't even have the internet as a source, back then.

I bet if you showed an interest, Grandpa might grow a new one, too. Someday, you might even inherit the gun....

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I find it interesting that the OP knew (correctly), to call it a magazine, knows what gun (exactly), it goes to, and managed to find his way here to ask the question, (in the correct category, no less), but thinks "you have to be a surgeon" to load a magazine. Funny. I know a lot of people who couldn't do the 1st 3 things, but have no trouble with loading a mag.

OP, why don't you go to a couple gun shops, and try to find somebody who'll teach you some things? Or a range? Or take a class? Keep reading here. Buy some magazines, books.
When I was your age, I also had an interest in guns, but I had a little experience, a youth program at the local Fish and Game club, Boy Scouts. But a lot of what I learned came from doing. I bought and sold a lot of guns. Saw a lot of shops. And I didn't even have the internet as a source, back then.

I bet if you showed an interest, Grandpa might grow a new one, too. Someday, you might even inherit the gun....

Good luck.
Thanks for your input. I don't think I said that you have to be a surgeon to load a magazine... I was just making the comparison as a metaphor to ask if loading a magazine has to be done extremely precisely, or if it is more or less forgiving and just put the bullets in there and be good to go.
I've had a computer since I actually was a little kid around 5 years old, so searching google for the most active firearm forum was no problem.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

CJx - the point we are trying to make is that you did something that you know you shouldn't have done, but then asked us to make you feel better about doing it. Well, we're not, other than this little pat on the back - you didn't pull the trigger with one in the chamber and accidently kill the person in the next room or the house next door.

We have a wide variety of people coming to this forum, many of them new. You'll see other posts where people post pictures of themselves with their firearms, booger hook on the bang switch (finger on the trigger), and they will get slammed for not practicing one of the fundamental firearm safety rules. What you did was not safe. And just so it's stated for other new people, just because you drop the magazine doesn't mean there isn't one in the chamber. A firearm is ALWAYS loaded until proven otherwise. Rack the slide, check the chamber, repeat. Then you can say it's unloaded.

You played with fire and got away with it this time. You still don't know if the round is chambered correctly and if someone breaks into your grandparents home, you better hope you put it back in right.

And as others have said, there are a lot of people, maybe even your grandfather, that would be more than happy to introduce you to shooting. Check your local range as well, as they should have a beginners handgun class. That is the BEST place to learn. It will cure the curiosity quickly and get you started on the path to the safe and fun sport of shooting.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
CJx - the point we are trying to make is that you did something that you know you shouldn't have done, but then asked us to make you feel better about doing it. Well, we're not, other than this little pat on the back - you didn't pull the trigger with one in the chamber and accidently kill the person in the next room or the house next door.

We have a wide variety of people coming to this forum, many of them new. You'll see other posts where people post pictures of themselves with their firearms, booger hook on the bang switch (finger on the trigger), and they will get slammed for not practicing one of the fundamental firearm safety rules. What you did was not safe. And just so it's stated for other new people, just because you drop the magazine doesn't mean there isn't one in the chamber. A firearm is ALWAYS loaded until proven otherwise. Rack the slide, check the chamber, repeat. Then you can say it's unloaded.

You played with fire and got away with it this time. You still don't know if the round is chambered correctly and if someone breaks into your grandparents home, you better hope you put it back in right.

And as others have said, there are a lot of people, maybe even your grandfather, that would be more than happy to introduce you to shooting. Check your local range as well, as they should have a beginners handgun class. That is the BEST place to learn. It will cure the curiosity quickly and get you started on the path to the safe and fun sport of shooting.
Maybe "console" wasen't the best word choice. I simply wanted to know if magazines are sensitive to loading and sensitive in general. Also in regards to the bolded text, I removed the top round from the magazine just in case.
And just for extra clarification, I was only touching the magazine, the firearm was not involved at all, nor did I remove the magazine from the pistol, it was already out of the pistol.
Regardless, thank you for your input and advice.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #30

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
My advice would be to go ahead and man up and tell your grandfather what you did and let him take whatever corrective action he feels necessary. You will probably be ok. Your too old for him to send out to cut a switch.
I'm 28, turn 29 in less than a month. If my granddaddy were still alive and told me to go cut my own switch, I'd go cut my own switch!

Now my mom and surviving grandmother, same thing.