Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Window Shopping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 02:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I noticed a nice, brand new Ruger LCP .380 for the same price as the Kel-Tec P3AT .380 pistols.

They are virtually the same pistols, with the exception of a slide stop, but it's still nice for someone who really likes Ruger products (like me...lol).

I'm also really interested in the Ruger SR9. The feel of the weapon is very comfortable to me, but my only concern is the recent recall because of the drop safety issues. If everything has been fixed, I may go for purchasing that weapon.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #12

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

There's nothing wrong with those guns, yeah they are cheaper but they go bang just like all the others. I have a Hi-point .40 that has never jammed in the 5 years that I've had it. And it's had thousands of rounds run through it. I'm with SGT_MILLER, I can't afford to go out and spend the money on a Kimber or other high end guns. Do get me wrong, I've held them in gunstores and they are comfortable, but they have the same result as my $300 1911. They all make holes in things.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All of those that you inquired about are available at a few of our local shops here in Awreeygawn (Oregon to the locals ). Price wise, +/- $20 on most.

As far as your choices, to each his own. Not knocking any of them. I've been to ranges where you see the folks with the latest/greatest/most expensive pieces getting out-shot by other folks with lesser known makes and models on a regular basis, and vice versa. And my hat is off to you for taking the family into consideration in figuring out what you can and can't afford. Many don't...and sometimes suffer the consequences.

It's all about knowing what you can afford, maintaining it, finding out what works well in it, and practice, practice, practice.

I too have a Keltec P3AT and it is usually in a pocket close by. I looked at the new Ruger and haven't decided yet as to whether or not it will replace the Keltec. The reviews seem to speak highly of it though. I also have a SP101 sitting somewhere around my night stand, within arm's reach. It's not a COLT PYTHON or even a S/W, but it's never failed me either, and never fails to give the 10-ring a bad day at the range. It's only a matter of time before it gets joined by their new .327mag

Good luck to you Sgt on your search.

Slo

Old 10-22-2008, 05:01 AM   #14

As far as the less expensive guns go, I'd rather someone buy a less expensive piece and learn to shoot it by spending the saved money on ammo. I'm there now, shooting an RIA 1911, as often as possible. Had I spent $1K+ on a 1911, it would probably be a better unit, but I would not be able to afford to shoot as often.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I noticed a nice, brand new Ruger LCP .380 for the same price as the Kel-Tec P3AT .380 pistols.

They are virtually the same pistols, with the exception of a slide stop, but it's still nice for someone who really likes Ruger products (like me...lol).

I'm also really interested in the Ruger SR9. The feel of the weapon is very comfortable to me, but my only concern is the recent recall because of the drop safety issues. If everything has been fixed, I may go for purchasing that weapon.
The SR9 is OK after the fix. Actually, it takes a "specific" set of circumstances to initiate the drop safety fault. I'm not too worried about it, as I have never dropped a gun, ever. I looked and handled the SR9 and it's NICE! I did however end up getting the P345 instead. I like 45 caliber...

Old 10-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #16

SGT-MILLER the prices here in Idaho are almost identical as what you have listed. I do own glocks and rugers and brownings, but I don't have any hi-points. That don't mean I will knock them. They are ugly as hell but they actually shoot very nice. My brother in law has a .40 hi-point that his wife(my sis) got him for xmas last year. When he opened it we both laughed and boy did it piss her off. But after we went out and shot it, the laugh was on us. I was really impressed with how well it handled. And it is completely american made. So everyone should quit bashing on someone because they like a certain gun. To each his own. Hell you might not like my wife but I love her and wouldn't change a thing about her. I hope I got my point across.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Finding "anything" made in the USA is rare anymore. I guess that's why I like my Rugers & Smith & Wessons...

Old 11-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like to use Gunbroker.com for my price shopping. Sometimes the tax savings is great enough to offset the shipping charges ($400 plus at 7% tax savings will take care of shipping). Of course at the price points you are looking at that won't work, but the prices are still good for information purposes.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #19

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Did you find those prices yet, Matt?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Did you find those prices yet, Matt?
What do you need prices on? I checked over the thread but couldn't figure out what you're talking about.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.