Wildey .475
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Wildey .475

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Wildey .475

I have been looking for the most powerful handgun to possibly use for carry/personal defense. I saw somewhere that the Wildey pistol in .475 is the most powerful commercial semi-auto on the market. It has 4-5 times more energy than the great .45. 1900 ft/lbs of engery dumping into the upper thorax of the human body from a well aimed shot is sure to "STOP" the threat. The only thing I can think of more powerful is maybe the single shot Alaskan 50 SSK, which is a 50 BMG rifle round. So, how do you feel of possible carrying the Wildey .475 with a 5 inch barrel?? Ive always been told carry what you shoot well, im not sure how I could shoot it other than purchase one. Also, what is the legal aspect of this pistol?? If its good enough for Charles Bronson, it should be good enough for me, right.
wildey.jpg  

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3488 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The Wildey may be the most over-thought, over-engineered pistol on the planet.

It REALLY is a pistol that is about fine tuning, and less about out of the box performance.

The thing is heavy, it weighs something like 4 pounds unloaded. That is a TON of weight to carry around.

The thing is built as a large caliber, proprietary, hunting handgun.

3 locking lugs, a Ruger MK II and MK III type bottom of the pistol grip magazine clip, and a gas adjustment system just doesn't lead me to the kind of reliability that I am looking for in a self defense pistol

This is not a weapon I would recommend for self defense, unless your idea of self defense is massive over-penetration and a risk of collateral damage.

But, if you really have your heart set on it, I would maybe look around and see if you can find one to shoot before you spend THAT kind of money on a pistol you probably won't end up carrying much past the first week or two...

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-02-2009 at 01:11 AM.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10986 Times on 4758 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

That big, and that heavy- some punk with a box cutter will have you in the hospital before you can draw and take aim. The best self defense arm is not always the biggest. OTOH, if you are 6'8" and weigh 270, I retract my statement.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #4

But, can there really be overkill though. Dead is dead. The only difference between a 12 guage shotgun blast point blank to a badguy's face and a 22LR shot to a badguy's femoral artery is one is a closed casket funeral and one is open. How about a .460 rowland kit on a Colt Commander (to keep the barrel under 6 inches including compensator). What about that for carry/home defense?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 09-02-2009, 02:05 AM   #5

Yes. Over-penetration is a VERY serious issue that needs to be considered.

That, and carrying 5 pounds of handgun is something one should consider.

.460 Rowland??

You mean, something like this??
img_1558.jpg   img_1561.jpg   img_1539.jpg   img_1542.jpg  

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-02-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #6

Liked 353 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 53

[QUOTE=michigan0626;154252]But, can there really be overkill though. Dead is dead.QUOTE]

I think the point is that you may be trading away a lot of cash, comfort, convenience, and practicality for an unnecessary amount of power (unless you're hunting Bigfoot).

It's hard to imagine a senario where this is a more viable option than a .40 or .45. And if you're open to carrying a larger gun for improved ballistics, an FN-FiveSeven is one interesting option. It's only 40gr, but the bullets fly (~2000fps) and tumble like .223s, resulting in a nasty wound cavity. The things exit sideways more often than not.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You really should carry one of these.

Wildey .475 - General Handgun Discussion

Old 09-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #8

^^^^

You do realize that gun doesn't really exist, right??

A handgun chambered in that cartridge would DESTROY you as a man for pulling the trigger....

Old 09-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
You really should carry one of these.

Wildey .475 - General Handgun Discussion
I would definitely cc that thing. How about this for home defense. A real 50 BMG, remove the scope,add a laser and light.
alaskan-50-ssk.gif  

Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

.460 Rowland??

You mean, something like this??
Where's the range report!!!

Newest Threads