Wife's CC Weapon - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Wife's CC Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
she has a hard time racking a round, let alone taking it apart to clear a jam.
Let her try to rack the slide of a Walther PK 380. A friend just bought one and it is remarkable easier than her Bersa.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lindenwood and JonM both nailed it. A couple years ago, my dad bought a CC gun for my mom as a Christmas present. He had the same thinking - small, lightweight revolver. So he bought a Taurus (first mistake) Ultralite (second mistake) .38spl snubby. Very sexy little gun, all alloy and stainless. But the trigger and hammer pull was so heavy, she could barely shoot it (we came to find out later that it had an incorrect piece in it from the factory, story for a different time). In the end, I was the only one who would shoot it. My dad hated it, even my sister hated it. Dad ended up trading it in at Cabela's for a Taurus 94 .22lr revolver that he now carries.

It wasn't my mom's first gun or anything, and she is far from gun shy. In fact, she is one of those natural shooters that pisses you off because you can just hand her something, and she is knocking pop cans down at 10 yards like it's just the way things are supposed to be.

The point is, we all thought the little, lightweight revolver was a good idea. But in the end, it just wasn't.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are tons of techniques for racking the slide, and I've only ever seen one consistently work. With both arms strait out and the weapon aimed down at around a 45* angle, grip the slide with the weak hand. Then, basically push forward with your shooting-side shoulder, and pull backward with your weak-side shoulder. Those are MUCH stronger muscles than your biceps.

My 105lb, 5' Ex, and even my 75yo grandmother were able to rack the slide on every pistol I handed them, using this technique (and none others). I have NEVER seen a slide-racking technique that has been so universally usable than this strait-arm technique. My stepmom couldn't rack the slide on anything we handed her, until I taught her this technique.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 04-11-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #14

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great tip, Lindenwood, I'll give that a try. And if I don't have to buy HER a gun....

12FRETTER