Wife's CC Weapon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Wife's CC Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wife's CC Weapon

I'm not ready right now, but I was thinking that I want to get my wife a .357 Magnum revolver to carry so she can shoot .38 for target practice but load with .357M for carry figuring if she ever had to use it, there would no question on stopping power. I would also want it to be a hammerless. Is this the right kind of thinking? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Sounds like good thinking to me.
Stick with a reputable manufacturer such as Ruger or Smith & Wesson (If you can afford the S&W price).
Take her with you to the gun store and let her see what feels good to her.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Because I don't buy the wife her shoes, clothes, or anything cuz what I purchase is always wrong,
I would let her pick out what she wants to carry.

She would be more likely to carry what she chose, than what we think is best.

"The first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun!"

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How familiar is she with firearms?

Snubby DAO revolvers are hard to shoot. I mean, it is a handgun, which is already hard to shoot. It is small, which makes it even harder to shoot. And it will have a 12lb trigger, which will make it WAY harder to shoot.

If she can shoot it, then definitely great.

But a Glock19 will be way easier to shoot (the equivalent lack of manipulations to function) and have several times the capacity for the same size.

Don't get me wrong, revolvers are sweet. In fact, the only weapon I currently own is a .44mag revolver which is my HD gun, my woods gun, and my CC gun. But as a man of pragmatism, I'll happily admit a safe-action pistol (no active safeties to worry about) is undoubtedly easier to shoot well (rapidly) for beginners than any revolver, almost entirely for the trigger pull.

I know this will get me a lot of crap because everytime someone says the words "gun" and "woman" in the same sentence, the first gut reaction is always "CUTE LITTLE DAO REVOVLER WITH PINK GRIPS!" Small guns are harder to shoot. Guns with heavy trigger pulls are harder to shoot.

Don't let her "pick out her own gun" by having her point to the prettiest gun in the cabinet and then testing how it feels in her hand. At the very least, have her line up the sights at something on a wall, and pull the trigger as carefully as she can without moving the sights. Do this with a couple of single-action guns, and then do it with a couple of DA guns. I guarantee you everyone who wants her to have a revolver will be disappointed with the outcome of this test, if she is not a veteran shooter.

I wanted my Ex to have a nice revolver for herself. She could shoot SA pistols reasonably well, perhaps with 8" groups at 7 yards with one shot per second. However, I could hand her any DA pistol to dry fire, and no matter how hard she tried to keep it steady, the muzzle would easily move 1/4 to 1/2" every time she pulled the trigger. She just didn't have the finger strength to smoothly pull the heav trigger and still keep the weapon steady. That means each of her shots would have been off from desired POA by about 10-20" at 7 yards, for potentially 20-40" groups, heh.

Yeah, one can obviously practice to increase accuracy. But, the quickest way to make your wife hand guns, is to give her one that's hard to shoot and then tell her you're going to make her practice until she is better.

And on that note, you will be way better off in the long run getting her something she enjoys shooting with which she will want to practice. And yes, even if this means it isn't something you want for her in the long run. The only handguns my Ex could ever shoot well (like, even on paper at 5 yards), was a .22lr Beretta Bobcat and a .22lr Walther P22. Yeah, they were a far cry from the .357 revolver I originally wanted her to have. But, after getting the P22, she would actually ask on her own to go to the range with me, and improved quickly and significantly with each outing. She could have eventually worker her way up to a larger .380 (like a Taurus Millenium Pro) that she could still shoot well, and then potentially to a 9mm. But even my heavy 9mm PT92 was too snappy for her to enjoy shooting, so we had to back way down.

So yeah, just like I did, you'll have to step back and decide if the gun is really for her, or if it is just something you wish she would like. I realized it was only my fantasy for her to be able to manipulate a 6" .357 revolver like the Tomb Raider, but realized after some of the above observations (as well her later-expressed dislike for the appearance of revolvers), that she'd never get close if I didn't ler her get something she liked. So, if it is really for her, let her try out several guns. If she decides she wants the Ruger .22/45 and doesn't care for anything else, then either get her the target pistol or don't get "her" anything at all. For the time being, loading it with good ammo and letting her wedge it into her purse will still be way better than nothing, and definitely better than a gun she's put 20 rounds through and can't shoot with a damn (hypothetically). If you get her something she enjoys, and let her have fun with it, then she will improve and select on her own. If you try to just set your choice of gun in her hand and say "here's your gun, honey" she is going to shoot it once or twice when you manage to drag her to the range, and then it's going to sit around collecting dust waiting for its 5 rounds to be shot clean through the walls around the attacker :P .

Last edited by Lindenwood; 04-10-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5809 Times on 3032 Posts
Likes Given: 398

best thing take her to a range that rents let her try some out. the WORST thing you can do is pick one for her. a lot of time husbands decide what their wife wants and works for her and the wife never enjoys it. often times men think women are small and delicate so they have to use a small gun.

women tend to carry purses and often times wear clothing styles that have better options for carrying larger guns than men.

the smaller the gun the more difficult and unpleasent they are to shoot. as a first gun keep the option of full size service guns open. learning to shoot and doing it often enough to get good at it is more important than looking cute and never carrying it cuz you hate the thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
How familiar is she with firearms?

Snubby DAO revolvers are hard to shoot. I mean, it is a handgun, which is already hard to shoot. It is small, which makes it even harder to shoot. And it will have a 12lb trigger, which will make it WAY harder to shoot.

If she can shoot it, then definitely great.

But a Glock19 will be way easier to shoot (the equivalent lack of manipulations to function) and have several times the capacity for the same size.
My wife decided she wants a revolver too. She can't seem to rack the slide on any of the simi-autos she's tried. I just assume she use a revolver anyway. Anything without a safety is going to have a double action trigger anyway, so she might as well have the simplicity and dependability of a revolver. IMHO.

But, that still leaves the problem of a snappy snubby. She may just decide to carry my SW65 with 4" barrel. She loves that gun, but not too fond of the snub 38.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Last edited by Jesse17; 04-10-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #7

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

As a first CCW gun for a novice, a hammerless DA revolver is a great choice. Most ladies don't invest in a CCW purse so there weapon winds up at the bottom of there regular purse, caked in make up and god knows what else is down there.

I'd suggest you have her look at the Ruger SP101 in either .357 mag or .327 mag. The .327 will give her 6 shots vs 5 in the .357 but either way she'll get a SS, "no rust", DA revolver that WILL fire regardless of the whether or not it's taken care of.

TACK

Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The first rule about buying a gun for you sweetie it DON"T.

Bring her to a range that has a ton of rental guns and let her shoot as many as she wants. It she picks a 22 that fine. The .22 in her purse is better than the 45 she left at home.

From personal experience my GF picked a beretta 92, carries it, and loves it!

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #9

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts

These are all great comments, thanks to all. Looking back, I agree that I should not pick a gun for her. I want her to want to go to the range on her own. Right now, she kind of likes that Bersa Thunder 380 so I'll encourage that. She is pretty good at it even as a first time shooter, but as others have said, she has a hard time racking a round, let alone taking it apart to clear a jam. That's why I thought of the revolver, but many of you are right that if she can't shoot it, there's no sense owning it. Personally, I love that Bersa. Very accurate and light. It's the perfect carry weapon.

12FRETTER

Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
The first rule about buying a gun for you sweetie it DON"T.

Bring her to a range that has a ton of rental guns and let her shoot as many as she wants. It she picks a 22 that fine. The .22 in her purse is better than the 45 she left at home.
Ed Zachary!