Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Wife- home defense weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I agree that a good first handgun, specially for a woman, is a revolver. A S&W featherlight .38 spl. Easy to load, no mess and no hassle. As she gains experience she can try out a semi-auto pistol.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #42

Liked 264 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I agree that a good first handgun, specially for a woman, is a revolver. A S&W featherlight .38 spl. Easy to load, no mess and no hassle. As she gains experience she can try out a semi-auto pistol.
My wife's first gun was a little Heritage .22. She still likes it. But she is much more comfortable with her S & W 686 ..357....and in her hands it's dead on accurate. She never cared too much for the auto's. I told her I'd like to get her a "Lady Smith" to fit her purse....but she said she'd prefer the 686 and get a bigger purse.....so there you have it.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #43
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2901 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 122

And I love my Semi autos, just depends on the person.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbergersworth View Post
Looking for a handgun for my lovely wife.
She enjoys shooting my M&P 9 Shield but has trouble with operating the slide. It intimidates her and effects her shooting and accuracy.
I am looking for a pistol for her to shoot at the range a few times a month and use as a bedside gun for home defense.
Any recomendation of guns for her to try that have a little easier slide operation? She is not interested in carrying so gun format/size is open.
I have already considered the revolver route. i tried to tell her "there is no slide on a revolver". she wants a semi auto.
I am trying to stay under $600 if I can.

Thanks in advance.
Sir B
You said she wants to stay with a auto, BUT has she ever shot a mid size revolver???? If not I would ask her to shoot a good 38 sp mid size revolver because as we know women have an open mind!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

If you have her "finger pinching" the slide? Teach her to "palm" the slide it's a stronger grip and allows her to utilize the push pull force of action when she's racking.

PALM.. Grasp top of slide with weak hand, thumb is indexed toward her body; rack the slide push pistol forward while pulling slide back release.

Become steel or get cut.