Wife- home defense weapon - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Wife- home defense weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

sorry, when i first read the title i thought your wife was the home defense weapon. .

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1586 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 548

I have never seen anyone have a problem with the slide on a revolver.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbergersworth View Post
Looking for a handgun for my lovely wife.
She enjoys shooting my M&P 9 Shield but has trouble with operating the slide. It intimidates her and effects her shooting and accuracy.
I am looking for a pistol for her to shoot at the range a few times a month and use as a bedside gun for home defense.
Any recomendation of guns for her to try that have a little easier slide operation? She is not interested in carrying so gun format/size is open.
I have already considered the revolver route. i tried to tell her "there is no slide on a revolver". she wants a semi auto.
I am trying to stay under $600 if I can.

Thanks in advance.
Sir B
The following is based on the experiences of my daughter and myself. It is not meant to be a statement that you should buy one, but it is something for your wife to consider. Let her try it out, and if she likes it, buy one for her.

Sig P238 or Sig P938. Amazingly low felt recoil and an easy to operate slide. Sig has done an excellent job on the springs on these guns. I can't tell you how long the springs will last, but both my daughter's and my P238s have over 1000 rounds through them without a failure.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
sorry, when i first read the title i thought your wife was the home defense weapon. .
She may be!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

The following is based on the experiences of my daughter and myself. It is not meant to be a statement that you should buy one, but it is something for your wife to consider. Let her try it out, and if she likes it, buy one for her.

Sig P238 or Sig P938. Amazingly low felt recoil and an easy to operate slide. Sig has done an excellent job on the springs on these guns. I can't tell you how long the springs will last, but both my daughter's and my P238s have over 1000 rounds through them without a failure.

Thank you!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #36

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

For what its worth, my wife is a very gun shy individual but when a friend of hers wanted to do some target shooting she agreed... she did well with my ruger sr9 full size. She also shot a Gen 4 glock19 and an xd45 but felt the grip on my ruger was most comfy...

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bought my girl a lil Browning 32 cal Tomcat, just break open the barrel to load and fire away...I want one now

Last edited by ikeepem; 12-10-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbergersworth View Post
Looking for a handgun for my lovely wife.
She enjoys shooting my M&P 9 Shield but has trouble with operating the slide. It intimidates her and effects her shooting and accuracy.
I am looking for a pistol for her to shoot at the range a few times a month and use as a bedside gun for home defense.
Any recomendation of guns for her to try that have a little easier slide operation? She is not interested in carrying so gun format/size is open.
I have already considered the revolver route. i tried to tell her "there is no slide on a revolver". she wants a semi auto.
I am trying to stay under $600 if I can.

Thanks in advance.
Sir B
If your wife can be shown all the ways a semi-auto can flabbergast all but very seasoned handgunners, compared to the simple, reliable, double action revolver maybe she will make the common sense (my opinion) choice. Can't be simpler than just pulling the trigger of a DA revolver. No safety. No slide. No magazine to fail or be accidentally ejected. And with a DA revolver if a round doesn't fire pull the trigger again. No repeating handgun is simpler or easier. Personally my choice for my wife would be the SW hammerless snubby, which has nothing that can catch on the pillowcase, pocket, or purse. I will go with the stainless version in .38 Special +P if and when she is ready. About $450-$500.

Last edited by EDsaid42; 03-22-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #39

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

You can always add grip tape. Lighter calibers have lighter recoil Springs, but gun size alters resistance more than anything.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 AM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I thought the objective of this thread was how to keep the wife out of the house... ha ha!