Wife- home defense weapon - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Wife- home defense weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3758 Times on 2084 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub1686
I just did this with my wife. She likes the Glock 9mm and the XD 9mm. We are going to the range to rent in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj84
I started my wife out shooting a glock 19. But it was my gun so I bought her a 380 and I carry a 45 but then I got to thinking it doesn't make much sense to not trust my life to a 380 but trust hers with it so now we both carry 45s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB
A lot of good advice here! I know when I leave for work I don't like leaving my wife and kids empty handed. Sure there's always the shotgun, but that intimidates her. She always seems to like the pink .22 autos, I don't feel that is enough even though I sure as heck wouldn't stand in front of one, plus they seem to be way overpriced! She tried a Bersa Thunder .380 and liked it, nice little gun, problem was the guy who wanted to sell it to me changed his mind as soon as he thought he really had something. Lately I've been thinking another 9mm would be best as she is more than capable of operating my XD, and common ammunition saves money!
When I was looking for a gun for me I had three requirements:

1. It had to be something I felt comfortable with, the first gun I ever shot was a .45 and I hated it. If she's in a situation where she has to use it she'll probably be scared enough she doesn't need to be intimidated by what she's using to defend herself, if that means she has a .22 well in my opinion that's better than nothing.

2. It had to be something I would enjoy shooting. If I don't like shooting it I won't go to the range as often and I won't be as proficient as I could be. And it doesn't matter what caliber you're shooting if you don't hit what you're aiming for.

3. It had to be something I would carry. In the op's case this isn't a concern but I bought a gun and got a permit so I could carry concealed. Honestly I'm a bit more accurate with my full-size 226 than with my little 938 but I won't carry my 226 because it's too big. Since I'm rarely home, it doesn't do me any good sitting in a safe in my room...

That's just how I see it.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #22

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i know you are wanting a handgun, but since this is a home defense gun, you might look into these. 10 rounds of 357 mag, easy to operate, not intimidating, compact size. My wife really enjoys shooting mine and she will put it under the bed sometimes when i am out working on the road.

Marlin 1894c

untitled.jpg  

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My wife had the same problem, so I bought the LC9 and the LCR in 357. After firing and using both, she decided on the LCR, but I only load 38s for her.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 690

My wife likes her Ruger SR9c. The grip is smaller than the G19 so it fits her better. After firing hers I traded off my G19 for an SR9c of my own. I have small hands. If racking is a real issue that can not be overcome with practice, then look at a pistol with an exposed hammer. They are a lot easier to rack with the hammer cocked.
My wife also has a S&W M&P 15-22 that is set up for home defense. I keep it loaded with Mini Mag 36 grain HP. A 22lr rifle is a lot more powerful than a 22lr pistol. The adjustable stock lets it fit and she is very good with it. She has a lot of confidence in it and 20 or more rounds into someones chest is going to make them not think at all.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #25

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Many semi-autos will use a heavier recoil spring as the frame size gets smaller, reason is that the recoil must be absorbed over a shorter distance or the slide will tear the frame apart. Regardless of the gun size they are all firing the same round at the same pressures. Downside to this is it becomes increasing difficult to rack the slide on smaller pistols.

In your price range check out the full size or compact M&P, XD, Glock, Kahr or Beretta, no need to keep a pocket gun on your nightstand. The bigger grip and longer slide may provide just enough leverage to get her comfortable with the slide...best thing is to let her try them out and not pressure her one way or the other. She'll know when she finds the gun she is most comfortable with.
This is the most intelligent and informative post. Get her a bigger gun. Polymer frames can help to counteract added weight, so don't let that be a deterrent.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
What's her experience level?
Itty bitty guns can be a handful for inexperienced shooters. Is the slide problem a strength issue or simply a "hard to hold on to" issue? Get her to the range and test a some of the more common full sized 9 mms out there.
Technique matters as well. You might want to hunt down a female firearms instructor to tutor her on the finer points.
She is not interested in carrying so we are thinking about a full size semi auto.

I am going to have a look see and try to find a good ladies class. That should help!

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are the best!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #27

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Slide is not bad on Sig P238 or Walther PPS

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have tried a dozen or so different guns of my husbands and either have trouble pulling the slide or loading the magazine once it's about half full. The only ones I can manage is my 380 high point (which is too big for me to carry) and a raven .25 (i want to carry a bigger cal. plus it's hard to find ammo for). So we went to a gun show last week and I got to spend a lot of time playing with all kinds of guns. My conclusion is that I am going to feel most comfortable carrying a revolver. Just curious, why doesn't she want a revolver? I really like the no fail simplicity of a revolver. I've seen my husband have so many issues with several different brands of semiautos either getting jammed or FTF that I really don't want to deal with that If my life is on the line.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Here's a video of a slide-racking technique mentioned earlier.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59
Here's a video of a slide-racking technique mentioned earlier.
Thanks, I will be practicing that.