Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Wife- home defense weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

There are many ways to rack a slide, but most pull the slide.

Try to push the grip away while holding the slide firmly. (One way to look at it, if she cannot push the grip away, would she have enough strength to push the bad guy away?)

Another thing I have seen is a three sided "block" that is high enough for the barrel to fit into but not the slide. The idea was to place the handgun muzzle down and push with one's weight. The opening is large enough for the barrel, but not the slide.

With the revolver, there is no slide. Load the bullets (should have been loaded already), cock the hammer with the non-dominant hand thumb while maintaining a two hand hold.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. I have trouble getting her to the gun store, but I am sure if I am buying her a gun she will get excited.

Btw, we have talked about a gun for her but I haven't told her that the GunVault I bought last week was not for the M&P22. lol.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3010 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbergersworth
Thanks for all the comments. I have trouble getting her to the gun store, but I am sure if I am buying her a gun she will get excited.

Btw, we have talked about a gun for her but I haven't told her that the GunVault I bought last week was not for the M&P22. lol.
Hopefully you find something that works and something she enjoys shooting

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

Hopefully you find something that works and something she enjoys shooting
That will be the plan. Thanks

Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #15

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I recently recommended to a friend that she take a class so she can get some basic instruction and be able to try several guns at the range to see what felt good to her. She ended up with a G19 a couple weeks later. She took a women only class where she didn't feel intimidated and getting instructions from a professional can be a much better experience than from her husband. She loved the class and has signed up for more so she can be confident and proefficent with her new gun.

Here's some more info that might help her. http://www.corneredcat.com/article/choosing-firearms/trying-on-a-handgun/

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #16

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's another good "Cornered Cat" link regarding the technique of racking the slide.....

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just did this with my wife. She likes the Glock 9mm and the XD 9mm. We are going to the range to rent in the near future.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I started my wife out shooting a glock 19. But it was my gun so I bought her a 380 and I carry a 45 but then I got to thinking it doesn't make much sense to not trust my life to a 380 but trust hers with it so now we both carry 45s.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 965 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 392

A lot of good advice here! I know when I leave for work I don't like leaving my wife and kids empty handed. Sure there's always the shotgun, but that intimidates her. She always seems to like the pink .22 autos, I don't feel that is enough even though I sure as heck wouldn't stand in front of one, plus they seem to be way overpriced! She tried a Bersa Thunder .380 and liked it, nice little gun, problem was the guy who wanted to sell it to me changed his mind as soon as he thought he really had something. Lately I've been thinking another 9mm would be best as she is more than capable of operating my XD, and common ammunition saves money!

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbergersworth View Post
Looking for a handgun for my lovely wife.
She enjoys shooting my M&P 9 Shield but has trouble with operating the slide. It intimidates her and effects her shooting and accuracy.
I am looking for a pistol for her to shoot at the range a few times a month and use as a bedside gun for home defense.
Any recommendation of guns for her to try that have a little easier slide operation? She is not interested in carrying so gun format/size is open.
I have already considered the revolver route. i tried to tell her "there is no slide on a revolver". she wants a semi auto.
I am trying to stay under $600 if I can.
Thanks in advance.
Sir B
What's her experience level?
Itty bitty guns can be a handful for inexperienced shooters. Is the slide problem a strength issue or simply a "hard to hold on to" issue? Get her to the range and test a some of the more common full sized 9 mms out there.
Technique matters as well. You might want to hunt down a female firearms instructor to tutor her on the finer points.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman