Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Wife- home defense weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wife- home defense weapon

Looking for a handgun for my lovely wife.
She enjoys shooting my M&P 9 Shield but has trouble with operating the slide. It intimidates her and effects her shooting and accuracy.
I am looking for a pistol for her to shoot at the range a few times a month and use as a bedside gun for home defense.
Any recomendation of guns for her to try that have a little easier slide operation? She is not interested in carrying so gun format/size is open.
I have already considered the revolver route. i tried to tell her "there is no slide on a revolver". she wants a semi auto.
I am trying to stay under $600 if I can.

Thanks in advance.
Sir B

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Try the Walther PK380 my wife had trouble with the slide also, the Walther she could manage fairly easy. And can handle firing it as it was more manageable for her.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #3

Liked 169 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My wife also likes the auto loaders but experienced problems operating the slide. After experiencing a hammer bite while trying my 1911 she selected the Ruger LCR-CT .38. The felt recoil was a problem at first with .38+P, but she now uses wad cutters for practice with no problem(s).

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19532 Times on 11086 Posts
Likes Given: 49174

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbergersworth View Post
Looking for a handgun for my lovely wife.
She enjoys shooting my M&P 9 Shield but has trouble with operating the slide. It intimidates her and effects her shooting and accuracy.
I am looking for a pistol for her to shoot at the range a few times a month and use as a bedside gun for home defense.
Any recomendation of guns for her to try that have a little easier slide operation? She is not interested in carrying so gun format/size is open.
I have already considered the revolver route. i tried to tell her "there is no slide on a revolver". she wants a semi auto.
I am trying to stay under $600 if I can.

Thanks in advance.
Sir B
best suggestion is to take her to a few gun stores and let her try many different ones out to see which fits her the best and which is easier for her to operated the slide and controls on. she needs to be the one to pick what is suited for her and there is no way another person can truly pick out a handgun for another person and have it fit them.

another point is many women have a harder time operating the slides on pistols vs. men. check out some videos of women showing other women how to operate the slide and see if that helps.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Many semi-autos will use a heavier recoil spring as the frame size gets smaller, reason is that the recoil must be absorbed over a shorter distance or the slide will tear the frame apart. Regardless of the gun size they are all firing the same round at the same pressures. Downside to this is it becomes increasing difficult to rack the slide on smaller pistols.

In your price range check out the full size or compact M&P, XD, Glock, Kahr or Beretta, no need to keep a pocket gun on your nightstand. The bigger grip and longer slide may provide just enough leverage to get her comfortable with the slide...best thing is to let her try them out and not pressure her one way or the other. She'll know when she finds the gun she is most comfortable with.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This 
Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2889 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

best suggestion is to take her to a few gun stores and let her try many different ones out to see which fits her the best and which is easier for her to operated the slide and controls on. she needs to be the one to pick what is suited for her and there is no way another person can truly pick out a handgun for another person and have it fit them.

another point is many women have a harder time operating the slides on pistols vs. men. check out some videos of women showing other women how to operate the slide and see if that helps.
I agree, she needs to hold them and operate the slides on as many as they'll let her, even take her to a range that rents them. Maybe even see if you can find a good used one, the slide will be easier to work, and the magazines will be easier to load. Personally it was never a problem for me but I notice a difference in the slide on the gun I have that's used and the one I just bought.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #7

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My wife had problems with the slide on my m&p 45 and my lc9 (when I had it). She had no problem at all with my bersa 383 a.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2889 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Also ask the guys at the store, when I went in he said, we have a lot of women who can't work the slides very well and suggested some that would be good.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

People Like This 
Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Cinderocka brings up a good point. Also, if your wife is looking for some first hand experience from female shooters there is a women's only forum here. Have her sign up and get access to it and ask the ladies directly. Try as we might, none of the guys here can provide a women's perspective on shooting.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19532 Times on 11086 Posts
Likes Given: 49174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Also ask the guys at the store, when I went in he said, we have a lot of women who can't work the slides very well and suggested some that would be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Cinderocka brings up a good point. Also, if your wife is looking for some first hand experience from female shooters there is a women's only forum here. Have her sign up and get access to it and ask the ladies directly. Try as we might, none of the guys here can provide a women's perspective on shooting.
both of these are excellent ideas. both make very good sense and sometimes a woman can relate to another woman easier than a man on such issues. that even now well intentioned we as men are, we just can't relate to the same issues as another woman can.