For the wife
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > For the wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Default For the wife

Ok guys. I'm kinda in a pickle here. My wife is a beginner, but has gone through some training and has shot some. She has a kahr now and likes it, but is not comfortable with the fact that it does not have a safety. We have 3 kids and does want to carry when she is out and about. She likes 9mm. I know there are options in the M&P shield, bursa and a couple others. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Needs a safety, 9mm, and compact.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

She has a good gun- Let her shoot & handle it more-
Mabe shoot other guns without "safeties" too-
She'll get more confident

Course then you'll lose the excuse to buy another gun!!!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The Sig P938 is a SAO and it has the safety feature. My wife carries a KelTec P32 but she doesn't carry one in the chamber.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I know this is outside your specification, however, I just got a Rossi .357 for my wife and she loves it. It is DA with a long trigger pull so it doesn't need a safety. She also never has to think about taking the safety off or remember if there is a round in the chamber or not. It's just aim and shoot. That is what she likes about it most. She also likes the feel and the balance in her hand. With .38 special ammo the recoil isn't too much for her to handle. I know this is not what you had in mind but belive me, it is not at all what I originally had in mind for my wife. Just another option to consider.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

How about if you both head to your favorite gun shop and she shops around for a while? If she can handle a bunch of different handguns, it may narrow things down a bit. After she finds one or several, see if she can shoot them or something close to get a feel for it/them. I wish her well in her search.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
How about if you both head to your favorite gun shop and she shops around for a while? If she can handle a bunch of different handguns, it may narrow things down a bit. After she finds one or several, see if she can shoot them or something close to get a feel for it/them. I wish her well in her search.
And don't let the dealer sway your purchase, I let that happen once and I'll never do that again otherwise I'd have a Kahr instead of the overly large, not conceal carry friendly XDm40.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #7

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Beretta px4 subcompact

Old 02-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #8

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

SR9c has manual side safety or she could just roll without one in the pipe?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #9

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcrona
I know this is outside your specification, however, I just got a Rossi .357 for my wife and she loves it. It is DA with a long trigger pull so it doesn't need a safety. She also never has to think about taking the safety off or remember if there is a round in the chamber or not. It's just aim and shoot. That is what she likes about it most. She also likes the feel and the balance in her hand. With .38 special ammo the recoil isn't too much for her to handle. I know this is not what you had in mind but belive me, it is not at all what I originally had in mind for my wife. Just another option to consider.
Ya I've TRIED and TRIED TO EXPLAIN THAT to my wife, but she is just more comfortable carrying a gun that has a safety.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Medic, take it from an old married man. Just go with whatever she has in mind. As long as she can handle and fire it well, she'll be likely to carry it and feel good about it. Ultimately if she has confidence in the pistol and how it handles for her, she'll be in good shape and you'll be happy too.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams