Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   For the wife (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/wife-85189/)

ALfiremedic1 02-26-2013 12:47 AM

For the wife

Ok guys. I'm kinda in a pickle here. My wife is a beginner, but has gone through some training and has shot some. She has a kahr now and likes it, but is not comfortable with the fact that it does not have a safety. We have 3 kids and does want to carry when she is out and about. She likes 9mm. I know there are options in the M&P shield, bursa and a couple others. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Needs a safety, 9mm, and compact.

HOSSFLY 02-26-2013 12:49 AM

She has a good gun- Let her shoot & handle it more-
Mabe shoot other guns without "safeties" too-
She'll get more confident ;)

Course then you'll lose the excuse to buy another gun!!!

GeneralPatton 02-26-2013 01:49 AM

The Sig P938 is a SAO and it has the safety feature. My wife carries a KelTec P32 but she doesn't carry one in the chamber.

dblcrona 02-26-2013 02:16 AM

I know this is outside your specification, however, I just got a Rossi .357 for my wife and she loves it. It is DA with a long trigger pull so it doesn't need a safety. She also never has to think about taking the safety off or remember if there is a round in the chamber or not. It's just aim and shoot. That is what she likes about it most. She also likes the feel and the balance in her hand. With .38 special ammo the recoil isn't too much for her to handle. I know this is not what you had in mind but belive me, it is not at all what I originally had in mind for my wife. Just another option to consider.

CA357 02-26-2013 02:29 AM

How about if you both head to your favorite gun shop and she shops around for a while? If she can handle a bunch of different handguns, it may narrow things down a bit. After she finds one or several, see if she can shoot them or something close to get a feel for it/them. I wish her well in her search.

Viking 02-26-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 1154503)
How about if you both head to your favorite gun shop and she shops around for a while? If she can handle a bunch of different handguns, it may narrow things down a bit. After she finds one or several, see if she can shoot them or something close to get a feel for it/them. I wish her well in her search.

And don't let the dealer sway your purchase, I let that happen once and I'll never do that again otherwise I'd have a Kahr instead of the overly large, not conceal carry friendly XDm40.

kiabe1 02-26-2013 02:50 AM

Beretta px4 subcompact

Wiebelhaus 02-26-2013 02:53 AM

SR9c has manual side safety or she could just roll without one in the pipe?

ALfiremedic1 02-26-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblcrona
I know this is outside your specification, however, I just got a Rossi .357 for my wife and she loves it. It is DA with a long trigger pull so it doesn't need a safety. She also never has to think about taking the safety off or remember if there is a round in the chamber or not. It's just aim and shoot. That is what she likes about it most. She also likes the feel and the balance in her hand. With .38 special ammo the recoil isn't too much for her to handle. I know this is not what you had in mind but belive me, it is not at all what I originally had in mind for my wife. Just another option to consider.

Ya I've TRIED and TRIED TO EXPLAIN THAT to my wife, but she is just more comfortable carrying a gun that has a safety.

CA357 02-26-2013 03:10 AM

Medic, take it from an old married man. Just go with whatever she has in mind. As long as she can handle and fire it well, she'll be likely to carry it and feel good about it. Ultimately if she has confidence in the pistol and how it handles for her, she'll be in good shape and you'll be happy too.