Why such bad shooting? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Why such bad shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 563 Times on 302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
I noticed with DAO Guns(my two newer Rugers) that I pull slightly low & to the left. not to the point of being "out of the Black," but a little off center. My RSO who was a Marine Shooting Inst. and Range Master(E7-Gunny Sgt.) tells me it's a product of my "Trigger action" and how i'm gripping the weapon, because i'm used to SA(1911) and DA/SA("92") guns. I did have a few FTE's & FTF's at the beginning last year, but once I "caught" my "feel" of the Gun(The SR9) I had very good groups out to 10 Yds. and Fair to Good beyond that..
I'm not willing to have any work done(internally) to either Ruger, simply from what I have read here from folks is to get used to the trigger pull as another safety feature.
My concern now is finding enough Spare mags. for all of my Autoloader handguns, speed loaders for My wife(she has a few, just not enough) YMMV...
Your jerking the trigger.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #22
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter

Your jerking the trigger.
Right,..and thats what I'm working on, to Not "Jerk" it...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #23

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

For right hand shooters. Reverse for left hand.

forumrunner_20130802_193227.jpg

Old 08-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975
For right hand shooters. Reverse for left hand.
Thats me right there in the lower left with a DAO.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #25

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Check this out:
image-2083612406.jpg  

Old 08-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 3667

The best way I've found to deal with this, is to very gradually apply pressure to the trigger, until it surprises you and goes boom.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #27
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
The best way I've found to deal with this, is to very gradually apply pressure to the trigger, until it surprises you and goes boom.
This helps if you load Snap Caps in with live ammo. Video yourself firing, if you can. Every Snap Cap that you drop a hammer on will show you if you are influencing the gun before, during or after trigger pull. If everything is perfect, the hammer should go "click" with no perceivable change in the gun position.

Better if you let someone else load the gun, if possible. Other way is to load several magazines with Snap Cap mix and then draw randomly from bag or such. The more you can surprise yourself, the more you learn!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater
Except its no surprise anymore when your as old as me...;-) no seriously, what I think I need is 3 strait hrs. Of just the SR and 300 or so rounds. The smaller LC is only for CC/BUG..and that for some reason I don't appear to be doing the same thing with that one or my "92's", and i have not shot my smith 9's in months, possibly anticipating a sell off of some to continue to buy others. My own fault for not staying in competitive shooting since the late 90's......my other main problem is whenever we go shoot I'm either helping my wife or helping other shooters who are newer to shooting.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

This helps if you load Snap Caps in with live ammo. Video yourself firing, if you can. Every Snap Cap that you drop a hammer on will show you if you are influencing the gun before, during or after trigger pull. If everything is perfect, the hammer should go "click" with no perceivable change in the gun position.

Better if you let someone else load the gun, if possible. Other way is to load several magazines with Snap Cap mix and then draw randomly from bag or such. The more you can surprise yourself, the more you learn!
Thx Greg! The better half did vid me with her iPhone which is how I realized what I was doing poorly or not well enough with just that Gun, which I bought specifically for HD/SD because I don't wanna shoot 20 & 30 year old safe queens/princesses...when I untangle the mess of 500 apps and games she has I'll offload it to my Mac and sent it to you. I shot 6 guns that day, including a mag of my friends' Sig p238, my Python which also doesn't come out to play much as its pushing 40...My Dan Wesson .41, and 72 rds. Through the LC9 and 136 rds. Through the SR9, plus a lot of 22's through my 702.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #30

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

It takes a little range time to make the transition from SA to DA only. You are use to the gun going off as soon as you apply pressure to the trigger. Then when you shoot a double action with a longer trigger pull it's easy to jerk or let the muzzle drop. If I am going to shoot my XD I shoot a couple magazines before I leave the house. I never have to warm up with my Ruger P95.