Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Why such bad shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Default Why such bad shooting?

So today I went and bought my first Glock. I got a Glock 23 Gen 4. I also was taking my M&P 45 and Sig P250 9mm out at well. I am constantly shooting high and to the right with my M&P 45 AND my Glock. With I shoot my Sig, in dead on target and there are no issues. I also own and M&P shield and I have the same problem with it. Any answers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you right or left handed? From the limited info, I would first suspect that your hand doesn't fit the larger weapons.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #3

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Grip could be a problem . also thats why the dovetails are made to move around , My Kahr shoots to the left so I have the sight moved over most of the way . My Sig is dead on centered, My LC9 dead on centered , Springfield shoots left , rear sight moved over . Thats just the way it works with some guns and thats why they are adjustable

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcrimedog
Are you right or left handed? From the limited info, I would first suspect that your hand doesn't fit the larger weapons.
Right handed. All of them fit well, and I have fairly large hands. Even with smaller striker fired or SA triggers I'm always high and to the right. I used to have a Kahr that I could shoot tight groups, but since I've changed over to glocks and M&P's I can't shoot worth ****.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Grip could be a problem . also thats why the dovetails are made to move around , My Kahr shoots to the left so I have the sight moved over most of the way . My Sig is dead on centered, My LC9 dead on centered , Springfield shoots left , rear sight moved over . Thats just the way it works with some guns and thats why they are adjustable
I hear ya. My issue is that ALL of my striker fired guns do that. Every.single.one. So I know it's me, but I have no clue how to fix it.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Trade your other guns for another Sig. Problem solved!!!! I also agree it is mostly your grip and position of finger on the trigger. Are you using any of the adjustable back grips on your Glock? If so, take them off. I am only guessing though since I cannot see your grip. The .45 also has a bigger grip than the Sig, so I am once again thinking grip and finger position. Do you have your left pointer finger on the front of the trigger guard? This also manipulates shot placement. Also, most people who have problems with the Glock shoot low and to the left, so I know you are not anticipating the snappier recoil of the polymer gun. Can you show a picture of your grip ready to fire from the left if you are right handed, and vice versa if left handed.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5214 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 4449

Practice.

Slow, deliberate trigger pull at first, getting faster as you improve.

Golda Meier.
rockratt Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

It sounds like you're palming or Healing the handgun,which is anticipating the recoil.

Here's a chart on bullet placement on a target.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7mjCc5ZRqWAAQI1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMTNuNTZ zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=12ch8j8r5/EXP=1368843330/**http%3a//is-lan.com/challenge/images/Pistol-Correction.pdf

Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #9

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Wish I had solid advice for high/right shot placement.....because in most cases low left shot placement is recoil anticipation and improper trigger control. Those can be improved. Took me 2+ years to move groups dead center at 15 yards

So you hit high and right with ALL of your guns, regardless of caliber or size?

**EDIT**

Sorry just re-read your post. So the Sig 250 hits dead center? My only possible answer is that you are accustomed to the long DA only trigger pull.....maybe the light SA trigger is forcing your hand to move right before the trigger breaks?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Are the three trigger actions the same? DAO?

Isn't the Sig a DA/SA?

That could be the difference.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)