Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Why are people like this with handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why are people like this with handguns?

Seems to me that owning a handgun is a huge responsibility and not to be taken lightly. When purchasing a firearm I want to know everything I can about that firearm.
When keeping a handgun stored it's my responsibility to know if it is loaded or unloaded and where it is at all times. It is also my responsibility to keep it clean and in working order. There's lots of responsibility here, but here's some examples of people I know personally who do not subscribe to my way of thinking. I'm trying to educate them the best I can without sounding like a know-it-all or telling them how to live their own lives.

Person A has one handgun for "home defense and personal use". It is a .40S&W Springfield XD. Person A has shot the firearm on one occasion since getting it last year. Person A also has a concealed handgun license. Person A knows the XD is at home and believes it's loaded with the magazine removed,but not sure. Person A also is not sure if it is in the top of the closet or under the mattress. Person A has not touched the XD in many moons. Person A has small children.

Person B decided on a 1911 Taurus .45acp stainless last year. Person B has no idea how to break it down and clean it. I cleaned it for him and told him where to get the information on how to break it down and clean it. Person B took it to the range several times and asked me to clean it once again. Person B ended up with about 800rds more through it before it was cleaned,by me, again...yuck!

B also decides he needs a 9mm and asks for my advice on which one he should get. I give him several suggestions based on his criteria. Person B calls me today and asks, "can I shoot 38 special through a 38 super? Are they the same? I bought a Taurus 1911 38 super today, but Walmart says they don't carry it." DOUBLE !!!

Person C has an EAA Witness .45. Person C buys .45LC to shoot through it, but soon finds a problem when loading it. Person C asks me to help and I inform him of his tragic error and try to explain a few things to him.

Now, I am in no way a super firearms buff, but good grief man!!!!! What the heck is wrong with people? I know these guys pretty well and they consider me the, "karate and gun guy" and ask for help on certain things. They always ask too late and rarely listen or heed my advice.

These are not idiots or bad guys by my standards, but they seem to have little respect for owning a handgun.

Any words of wisdom I should pass along to help them think differently.??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Some gun buyers are just like buyers of anything else they want to have the shiny thing but have no idea how to use or maintain it. How do I program this remote? No I didn't read the manual...why? Sadly with the situation in question here it's a much bigger deal when we are talking about a firearm. The people like you mentioned are the ones that many times end up in the news for what they will call an accident. Because with the lazy mindset of not learning how to use, maintain, and properly store their weapon they wont know how to take the personal responsibility for their negligence. I never was one that believed in as accidental discharge.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My father baught 357 Sig bullets for his 357 Magnum revolver when he bought it. *FACEPALM*
I know what you're talking about. The first gunsmithng I ever actually did was because I went to shoot a friends Bersa Thunder 380.
He handed me the gun and I cocked it to make sure the slide worked, made sure the safety was off and the hammer was cocked, took aim and pulled the trigger....um...anyone for a bang? The hammer had rusted in place.
This is the gun the family used for home defense...sad...really sad state of affiars.
I went inside and told them they had no choice in the matter and I took it home and cleaned it and put 50 rounds through it after I fixed and re-blued it.
As for words of wisdom, you can only tell them what to do and what not to do like the D.A.R.E. program told the 90s that drugs were bad...over and over....and over...and then another 20 times to make sure the people heard it.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

While at a local Walmart a few months ago a guy was standing there staring at the ammo case. He turns me, "What ammo do I need for my 45?" I asked what kind of 45 is it? He says," a regular 45 Sig Sauer." Oh,I told him he needed the .45acp's right there and pointed them out. He said," It's a Sig. What about those .357sigs there, do they have a 45 sig?" I told him not as far as I have ever heard, but the sig name had nothing to do with what he needed, get the .45acp. He says,"How do I know? What if I get the wrong ones?" I just shrugged and told him to do whatever he thought then. He just huffed and walked off. Seriously........ I thought I was on a TV show or something.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What a sorry individual....
I cant stand when people ask for info and then blow it off as if you're an idiot.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #6

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Many people are really ignorant of guns and ammo. Because society has made the ignorant. We not longer teach gun safety and marksmanship in our schools. Most fathers are estranged from the family now days and they don't know anything anyway so the person gets no quality time with father and guns.

Hunting is almost a memory of a few now days, and is not passed along like it was in the past. Hollywood is about all the exposure to firearms that most people get, and hollywood is no expert.

To the average gun owner we have a deep respect for the gun and tend to care for it, as we should. But when people with no knowledge of guns sees someone at the range spraying and praying with their AK-47 they want one of them thingies also not even understanding what the rifle is for it is just cool to have and shoot.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I understand what your saying but it doesn't just apply to guns. I restore cars for a living and trying to make people understand something as simple as, you can't just change paint color like you change your underwear is a challenge sometimes. They have no idea what is involved.

I don't understand how people can purchase a car for $40k and not have a clue how to care for it AT ALL. Same applies to guns, how can you can you buy a weapon/tool and not know how to care for it or even opperate it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

What we see here on FTF is more of the same. People ask a question, get a ton of good responses, and ignore all of them...

Old 03-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

This goes hand in hand with automotive repair! I've been a mechanic for 12 years, Toyota specific for 4. It gets to me when people ask an opinion about a problem I've dealt with a billion times yet say no that's not right ill try this, that or these..... maintenance of an automobile is much like maintenance of a firearm, keep it clean, care for it, buy the correct parts and it can last a lifetime.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2612 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

People have ZERO common sense these days. They have ZERO mechanical ability. If you poled your neighbors, I'll bet far less than half even knew how to change their car's oil much less every have done it.

I had an officer (with another agency) bring me his Sig P-229 in .357 Sig. It malfunctioned while qualifying at our range. This is unusual as Sigs are normally very reliable. As the armorer, I cleared it and field stripped it in front of him. His immediate response was "How did you do that?" WTF!!!!!?
As I began to look it over, I found it to be incredibly FILTHY! It looked like he had fired 3-4000 rounds with out cleaning it. He did not even know how to field strip it. I told him to come back the next day as I detail stripped it and dropped all the parts in a solvent bath to soak. The next day I detail cleaned it, gave him instructions on field stipping it and handed him a memo detailing his negligence. A copy of the memo was hand delivered to his boss.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball