Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > And why not carry smaller calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 02:47 AM   #501
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 630 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
When I took my knife fighting training I was told there are three rules to knife fighting:
1. DON'T unless you absolutely must.
2. If you do you WILL get cut.
3. The winner is the one who cuts longest, deepest, first!

The definition of stupidity is bringing a knife to a gunfight!!!

That last sentence is actually a fallacy. Ever heard of the 21 ft rule? This study was done by a law enforcement agency(can't remember which one) where a BG with a knife can cover 21 ft and stab a LEO before the LEO can draw and fire. When I went thru NLWIC our instructor taught us the only thing more dangerous than an expert knife fighter is an inexperienced knife fighter. Also take into account that a majority of the time your first couple of shots will be misses and it makes for a bad day.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:55 AM   #502
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well, being the best is not always a gaurantee of winning. sometimes being lucky is much better. i don't claim to be the best shot, but i do practice some.

with the Taurus 25 auto my brother bought i was able to keep nine rounds inside of a 9" plate at 7 yards. the pistol actually performed pretty good.
If it has a eight/nine round magazine it has an adequate stock. Most of the super tiny 25 cal pistols have a five round capacity. I have seen women that could grip a gun that small properly but I haven't seen anyone that could deal with the 10 lb plus trigger.

Axxe55 I am done with you forever. If I saw you walking on the roadside I would keep going. That is how low you have fallen on my list. If I was walking I wouldn't get in a car with you.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #503

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
The blast from a .45 pressed against your neck would make a mess.

Absolutely, to compare a point blank shot from a 25 to a 45 is laughable! The 45 would have left a much bigger entry wound, and mangled or destroyed everything on its way to a much bigger exit wound! Smaller calibers can argue about shot placement and quicker follow up shots! But to compare one shot for one shot at point blank range?? There is no comparing!!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #504

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

It would have to be a certain situation but a knife could be a better option but I would think twice before I do

Happy Happy Happy

Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #505

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'll be switching to a 9mm from a .45 when I can get my hands on the r51. Am I gonna die? What things should I consider when going to a less manly, subcaliber round?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #506
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'll be switching to a 9mm from a .45 when I can get my hands on the r51. Am I gonna die? What things should I consider when going to a less manly, subcaliber round?
Don't forget to match your panties accordingly.

Just kidding. I have an M&P9c for if I ever carry again. Could be the Remington r51 soon though.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #507
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
A matching thong holster and corset mag pouches.

image-693700809.jpg

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 01-13-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #508

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Don't forget to match your panties accordingly.

Just kidding. I have an M&P9c for if I ever carry again. Could be the Remington r51 soon though.
I told you I got to shoot a m&P9C... freaking loved it!

With the only concern I had with it though, I wonder about the R51. It may prove more of a blessing in disguise though. I'm thinking, if I can release a mag with the **** you finger on my shooting hand, and not accidentally, that would be pretty cool.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #509
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1590 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
That last sentence is actually a fallacy. Ever heard of the 21 ft rule? This study was done by a law enforcement agency(can't remember which one) where a BG with a knife can cover 21 ft and stab a LEO before the LEO can draw and fire. When I went thru NLWIC our instructor taught us the only thing more dangerous than an expert knife fighter is an inexperienced knife fighter. Also take into account that a majority of the time your first couple of shots will be misses and it makes for a bad day.
It is not a fallacy. I have trained using the 'reactionary gap' (21 ft rule) and if you are aware and trained you can handle this type of attack and get your hand gun in to play. There are to many variables in a dynamic attack to say 'for sure' what action is best, but for me I prefer to have a gun if attacked by someone with a knife. Refer to Rule #1 and #2 above.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #510
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1745 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 345

you can be trained until next Tuesday and have a fricken cannon on your hip, but if you aren't ready an attacker can defeat you with a lot of things

The OP was about handgun calibers, not knives. If we are going to start changing the rules here I want to have trip wires and claymores set up on my perimeter!