And why not carry smaller calibers? - Page 50
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > And why not carry smaller calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #491
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I am not a great knife fighter. But you must be one of the best pistol shots on earth if you can hit anything beside the floor with a pistol you can only get two fingers on with a long, gritty 10 lb trigger pull. Even Massad Ayoob required several shots to get the point of impact off the ground with a little DA 25 acp. At 5 yards he emptied the little pistol hitting a silhouette twice. Everything in life involves risk. If a knife is all I had I wouldn't let someone keep shooting at me if I could reach them. I would rather have a knife than a pistol that an expert shot can't hit anything with.
well, being the best is not always a gaurantee of winning. sometimes being lucky is much better. i don't claim to be the best shot, but i do practice some.

with the Taurus 25 auto my brother bought i was able to keep nine rounds inside of a 9" plate at 7 yards. the pistol actually performed pretty good.
25ply_01.jpg  

Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #492

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would take my Buck 110 over some wimpy handguns. The Buck 110 has more range, penetration, accuracy and of course everyone is still trying to build a better knife. Every knife maker has a copy of the 110. Even the $200 110 clones miss what makes the 110 great, the hollow ground blade.
Agreed

Happy Happy Happy

Old 01-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #493

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well, being the best is not always a gaurantee of winning. sometimes being lucky is much better. i don't claim to be the best shot, but i do practice some.

with the Taurus 25 auto my brother bought i was able to keep nine rounds inside of a 9" plate at 7 yards. the pistol actually performed pretty good.
I own the pt22 and it was pretty accurate just a little hard to rack the slide cause my hand slips off

Happy Happy Happy

Old 01-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #494

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
...The Buck 110 has more range, penetration, accuracy and of course everyone is still trying to build a better knife. Every knife maker has a copy of the 110. Even the $200 110 clones miss what makes the 110 great, the hollow ground blade.
I know absolutely nothing about knives but I've got to ask the question.

How does a hollow ground blade improve a knife? I've used hollow golf clubs 2-5 I believe (Taylor Made Iron Cleeks) and they were awesome. But I can't even make up some benefit to a hollow ground blade knife.

Edit: Never mind - I think I found the answer - the name is a misnomer. You can still reply if you would like.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 01-13-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2014, 02:38 AM   #495
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

When I took my knife fighting training I was told there are three rules to knife fighting:
1. DON'T unless you absolutely must.
2. If you do you WILL get cut.
3. The winner is the one who cuts longest, deepest, first!

The definition of stupidity is bringing a knife to a gunfight!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 01-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #496
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 812 Times on 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
just because i don't own one currently, you are again making assumptions about me. i have owned several 25 autos in the past. i prefer something a bit bigger, shall we say.

but please feel free to go about gunfighting with a knife. even a 25 is got more reach than a knife. but i am sure you are a much better knifefighter than i am.

I have told this story here before, so the brief version. Myself and some friends were at McDonalds when we were robbed. BG put a 25 acp to my friends neck, pulled trigger and put a hole in one side and out the other. My friend looked at me and asked if he'd just been shot. At the hospital they scoped the wound and saw how the bullet had hit the jugular and pushed it aside doing no damage sliding between the esophagus and trachea. He received one stitch on either side of his neck and was kept for two days for observation. Lucky, absolutely, but a larger caliber and luck wouldn't have mattered. I think even a .380 would have ended the situation very differently.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 AM   #497
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
I have told this story here before, so the brief version. Myself and some friends were at McDonalds when we were robbed. BG put a 25 acp to my friends neck, pulled trigger and put a hole in one side and out the other. My friend looked at me and asked if he'd just been shot. At the hospital they scoped the wound and saw how the bullet had hit the jugular and pushed it aside doing no damage sliding between the esophagus and trachea. He received one stitch on either side of his neck and was kept for two days for observation. Lucky, absolutely, but a larger caliber and luck wouldn't have mattered. I think even a .380 would have ended the situation very differently.
i have a cousin that was hit in the neck by a stray 30 caliber bullet while driving down the highway on her way to El Paso. less than half an inch the other way it would have killed her instead of wounding her. luck plays a huge part in life IMO.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:31 AM   #498

Liked 124 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
It's entirely possible a .45 would have done the same thing.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:40 AM   #499
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
When I took my knife fighting training I was told there are three rules to knife fighting:
1. DON'T unless you absolutely must.
2. If you do you WILL get cut.
3. The winner is the one who cuts longest, deepest, first!

The definition of stupidity is bringing a knife to a gunfight!!!
Jim I used a very narrow scope when I said a knife is better than a gun. Outside of that very narrow scope it's stupid to pull a knife when someone has a gun. Actually you would be better off to punch someone with a gun than use a knife. We all have been cut with sharp knifes. We all know that a knife is not a stopper. Well, yes a knife is a stopper. 15 minutes later when the bad guy bleeds to death.

Jim I think a lot of you. You always give good information. But if you claim you can shoot a little 25 acp about the size of a zippo lighter with a 10 lb plus trigger pull accurately I would have to call BS on you too.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 AM   #500
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 812 Times on 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
It's entirely possible a .45 would have done the same thing.

The blast from a .45 pressed against your neck would make a mess.