And why not carry smaller calibers? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > And why not carry smaller calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2426 Times on 1333 Posts
Likes Given: 333

I personally don't like the fine motor skills involved with all the 1911s safety features in a self defense situation. But that's personal preference. I trust myself to be able to draw point and shoot. And I prefer to KISS. But there are plenty of guys who can operate a 1911 just fine under stress. Competition shooters are great examples. Some people on here need to take a step back and look at the big picture. 1911s have been getting the job done for over 100 years.

They are just as viable of an option as their modern alternatives. On 1 hand you have fumbling with the safety and on the other you have negligent discharges. Both of those are issues with the shooter not the firearm. So cool your jets.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-27-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #42

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I don't like the fine motor skills involved with all the 1911s safety's in a self defense situation. But that's personal preference. I trust myself to be able to draw point and shoot. And I prefer to KISS. But there are plenty of guys who can operate a 1911 just fine under stress.
Um... "the fine motor skills"?

There's only one. If you draw and rest your thumb on top of the safety, with a proper grip, when you decide to fire your thumb falls into place as you flip the safety down. It's no more of a hindrance then taking your finger from "straight and off the trigger" to "on the trigger and ready to fire" with a safetiless gun.

But hey, some folks don't think they can handle that, think it's inconvenient, will get in their way, slow them down, or, according to jaredsquito, I guess some people are too damn stupid to figure it out.

Whatever the reason, it's a personal choice, and does not make the 1911 a bad gun, or even remotely obsolete.

It's just like any other thing, tool, piece of equipment. Learn it, love it, live it, and you never notice it.

Last edited by trip286; 11-27-2013 at 07:10 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #43
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1329 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Jarodsquito, you're getting off on the wrong foot. You need to cool your jets and stop calling people liars because you think you know everything. I suggest you step back, back up, and think about apologizing.
Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black
Old 11-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30USMC View Post

Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black
I actually did apologize and explained my reaction.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #45

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Not calling anyone a liar and simply stated nobody can claim they have NEVER fumbled over a safety...also not stating anyone is wrong just stating my opinion on a forum...I have said that I like and respect the design of 1911's...I just think using something when there are more efficient methods or products is not the best idea...I would never carry a 1911 for those reasons I have mentioned...if you choose to that is your decision...I am just suggesting looking at all options and selecting based on all the facts and not just because it "works"

Old 11-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't concealed carry, just car carry and occasional open carry while fueling the car and such.
I wouldn't go so far as to recommend to any one I liked that they carry a semi-auto pistol in .22LR, strictly for the reliability of centerfire cartridges over the cheapo, mass produced rimfire .22LR. I love the .22 for plinking, but not if it was my life on the line. In a revolver, particularly for the aged or infirm, the .22LR might not be so bad.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Nope. I'm a righty and so is the owner. Maybe a fatter back strap would help. My small hand wrapped all the way around the grip and the tip of my EFF OFF finger was resting on the mag release.

It had no negligible effect, other than being conscious of it, which was mildly distracting.
Gotcha. I understand now. That problem still sounds odd to me. I own a 9c and have small hands. I run it with the smallest backstrap. *Shrug* dunno what to yell ya. Its am excellent gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodsquito View Post
Not calling anyone a liar and simply stated nobody can claim they have NEVER fumbled over a safety...also not stating anyone is wrong just stating my opinion on a forum...I have said that I like and respect the design of 1911's...I just think using something when there are more efficient methods or products is not the best idea...I would never carry a 1911 for those reasons I have mentioned...if you choose to that is your decision...I am just suggesting looking at all options and selecting based on all the facts and not just because it "works"
If people are fumbling over a safety on a 1911 they simply have not practiced enough on it. We need to have 100% muscle memory on any weapons system we trust our lives to. If you've seem shooters fumbling with a thumb safety all it means is they need to practice more.

That, however, is certainly not a reflection of the design of the firearm.

User error.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 11-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Gotcha. I understand now. That problem still sounds odd to me. I own a 9c and have small hands. I run it with the smallest backstrap. *Shrug* dunno what to yell ya. Its am excellent gun.

If people are fumbling over a safety on a 1911 they simply have not practiced enough on it. We need to have 100% muscle memory on any weapons system we trust our lives to. If you've seem shooters fumbling with a thumb safety all it means is they need to practice more.

That, however, is certainly not a reflection of the design of the firearm.

User error.
I thought it was weird as hell too. I could barely even shoot my issued M9 because of my small hands, so when I realized what was up I was really confused. It didn't become an issue though.

I wonder, if I were to get one, if I could switch it to lefty (right side) and if that'd make any difference? I dunno. I don't think I want to do that though, since my 1911 will still have it's mag release on the left side.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

I thought it was weird as hell too. I could barely even shoot my issued M9 because of my small hands, so when I realized what was up I was really confused. It didn't become an issue though.

I wonder, if I were to get one, if I could switch it to lefty (right side) and if that'd make any difference? I dunno. I don't think I want to do that though, since my 1911 will still have it's mag release on the left side.
The only thing I can think of is maybe it'd your grip. I have no way of knowing without SEEING though.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

The only thing I can think of is maybe it'd your grip. I have no way of knowing without SEEING though.
Maybe I'll swing by a shop next week and see if I can get a pic of my hand on one. I'll probably forget though.