Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > And why not carry smaller calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #421
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 2031 Posts
Likes Given: 632

I think the "Meaning" is regarding folks who THINK that playing the game makes them a "soldier"....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #422

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I believe you figured it out

Happy Happy Happy

Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #423

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Ive noticed that almost every call of duty fan gets offened really quick over anything regarding the game but im sorry it was good until modern warfare 2. Activision charges people for the same maps off older version and ghosts is a major joke but they know just like apple slap that trademark on it and every slapnut will be out there to buy it reguardless how crappy there product is.

Happy Happy Happy

Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #424

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

People from the armed forces need to learn to distinguish between combat and civilian defense. In combat the objective is to be on the offense, in CCW it is to defend life. With CCW you need to be accurate with your gun and have complete confidence in it (which is also true in war). But in defending yourself or family you can't be taking down any innocent people with your gun, just the perp. There is no collateral damage in a civilian gunfight (at least not intended) you take out the perp, keep shooting till the threat is no longer a threat. And you have your choice of weapons, unlike in the military. You also have the availability of different defensive rounds to choose from. All this means that you should use a caliber which is comfortable and that you shoot well, know your responsibility, and use good ammo. In civilian defense a smaller caliber is fine if you place shots well.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #425

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If smaller calibers are carried strictly for convenience, that, in itself is not reason enough! If Convenience is matched with confidence and mastered ability to shoot quickly and accurately than Its justified! Smaller calibers shrink the room for error, so shot placement becomes even more critical! A shot from a 45 vs 380 will almost always have a different result, no matter where the shot is placed!! Bigger wound cavity= more blood loss at a quicker rate, no matter if the compared wounds are in the chest or the leg!!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #426

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
If smaller calibers are carried strictly for convenience, that, in itself is not reason enough! If Convenience is matched with confidence and mastered ability to shoot quickly and accurately than Its justified! Smaller calibers shrink the room for error, so shot placement becomes even more critical! A shot from a 45 vs 380 will almost always have a different result, no matter where the shot is placed!! Bigger wound cavity= more blood loss at a quicker rate, no matter if the compared wounds are in the chest or the leg!!
However if a smaller weapon gets carried more the your meeting the #1 rule of a gun fight, have a gun. To each his own, 380 w modern ammo is the smallest I'm willing to carry personally.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #427

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I think I agree with you.

If a person shoots well at a range where they are seated, arms on sandbags, holding the weapon with both hands and has a good grip they may be able to adequately handle a larger caliber.

But in a critical situation when they may not have time to aim their best, get both hands firmly on the gun, a smaller caliber with less kick might be easier to shoot with improved accuracy.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #428
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Heh. Pocket pistols aren't usually shooter friendly regardless. The little .25 I learned to shoot on kicked like a mule. Dad said I looked like the shakiest gun in the west. If you're already fighting a too-small grip and too-light weight, wouldn't you want whatever shots you do manage to keep on target when your adrenaline has spiked through the ceiling to actually count for something?

And I'll say this again. "Shot placement" under stress is anything that hits the BG somewhere close to center mass.

If you can manage that with a pocket pistol while giving loud verbal commands and moving towards cover, you are doing great. So dream on about shooting people in the head or shooting the gun out of their hands, because it's probably my going to happen. I've read about it a total of once. From 3 feet away. With a .45.

Oh and the guy tried to get up 3 times after being shot with a .40 and a .45. 4 to center mass and then 1 .45 to the head.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 01-07-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #429

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A gun in Ur pocket is worth a whole arsenal at home when needed. There's plenty of pocket pistols that are manageable, my pocket cannon is a XDs .45 and I find it very manageable.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #430
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock23taBG380ta
A gun in Ur pocket is worth a whole arsenal at home when needed. There's plenty of pocket pistols that are manageable, my pocket cannon is a XDs .45 and I find it very manageable.
I'm not knocking pocket pistols. Just guys who carry pocket pistols chambered in anything smaller than a .38spl and claim that if they have to use it they're going to shoot their attackers in the eyeball because they're freaking Jason Bourne.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 01-07-2014 at 09:30 PM.