And why not carry smaller calibers? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > And why not carry smaller calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

A .22 mag or a .32 acp at close range will definitely kill a mountain lion, wolf, bobcat, or coyote. The .380 acp at close range has killed wild boar and bear. So don't underestimate smaller calibers.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #22

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If you read the post closely I did not endorse Hollow points. This was an emergency situation. The hunter had lost his rifle ammo my carry gun was all we had to finish a wounded animal.
The Antelope is a very thin skinned small boned animal. There hair is hollow and they provide little resistance to a bullet. I have put down elk and moose and bears with solids in .44 and .45 caliber weapons as well. Bullet choices in handguns is a very over rated science.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #23

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

*sniff sniff *
Holy shyt.
Did I just get a whiff of a GLOCK fanboy?
People Like This 
Old 11-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #24

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I assume you referring to me and no I am actually not a fan of GLOCK...just not my thing but there is nothing wrong with them...I also love the 1911 but it is not a good choice for a self defense gun IMO...I see far too many issues with failing to feed in classes (we actually kept track on one recently and it was approximately 5% failure) and fumbling over the thumb safety...The 1911 was a great innovative design over 100 years ago...but so was the model T and I don't see anyone saying the model T is the best way to get around in 2013

Old 11-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #25

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My apologies. Most often when people bash the 1911 unprovoked, they're GLOCK fanboys with sand filled vaginas.

They pretty much operate the same way liberals do when they're still bashing Bush for Obiteme's failures, and for some reason they assume that if you hate Odouchebag then you consider Bush the Messiah.

Just too many examples of one begetting the other. It's the way stereotypes are born. When you see it 1,000 times out of 1,000, it just stands to reason that number 1,001 will be no different.

For the record, my 1911 has failed a handful of times. 3 times when I was feeding it a bunch of dangerously out of spec reloads in an impromptu torture test of sorts (one case was cracked so far back that you could actually see the base of the bullet through the side. It functioned fine) and more recently when I tried frog lube. Sticking to any factory ammo and any reloads that are simply within normal specs, and using GUN OIL instead of the latest whiz bang masturbatory lubricants, I have no problems.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #26

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodsquito View Post
I assume you referring to me and no I am actually not a fan of GLOCK...just not my thing but there is nothing wrong with them...I also love the 1911 but it is not a good choice for a self defense gun IMO...I see far too many issues with failing to feed in classes (we actually kept track on one recently and it was approximately 5% failure) and fumbling over the thumb safety...The 1911 was a great innovative design over 100 years ago...but so was the model T and I don't see anyone saying the model T is the best way to get around in 2013
I carry Glocks and 1911s from time to time. The 1911s I have actually perform rather well with all of the hollow point ammo that I have fed them. In the 100 plus years that they have been around, manufacturers finally started doing some of the reliability tweeks at the factory that custom gunsmiths used to do up into the 1990s.

I've done a few tests on my main carry 1911 including some sand and mud tollerance tests (not the smartest thing I've done), but the gun did a lot better than I expected, running side by side with my Glock 17 and Glock 19. the big weakness with teh 1911 and most hammer fired autos is when grit gets into the area between the hammer and frame. this can cause light strikes or failures to fire. but really it took a lot of crud to get this particular 1911 to not fire, feed and eject, FMJ and Holllow point ammo. It's why I trust that gun enough to carry at times.

Most 1911s today are not the average issue guns that were just about completely worn out at the time the 1911 was retired from service.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3318 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1670

Cluznar,

It certainly boils down to personal preference! And yes, generally I am a larger caliber advocate. But I also carry a Kahr P-380 a lot. The reason is simple! First of all well placed shots is the issue always. Secondly if I ever have to use it, you can rest assure there will be at least three shots fired before assessing the threat! REMEMBER *You will do as you train! So what I mean by this, is when I go to the range with the little guy I do drills of three rounds and assess! Including some weak hand shove offs on the target before firing the three rounds! (Use caution if practicing this drill!) After the shove OFF! * Always return weak hand to the center of your chest when firing to prevent a dangerous issues!) Thirdly, the ammunition for these little guys is much improved over the round nosed bullets of the past. I am carrying Hornady Critical Defense in it. But the most important reason for the 380 is it generally conceals so well no matter what clothing I have on. And my theory is as I have stated here on the FTF in the past. You are much better off with a smaller caliber weapon on you than a larger weapon of a larger caliber in the truck in the glove box when you need it. Threats normally come out of the blue with very little warning and time to think or prepare. So the bottom line it is a personal preference.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #28

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I see no reason to go any smaller than my S&W snub 357. If God forbid I am in a position that I need to use to get back to the truck it is all the gun I need and the 357 does a swell job dealing with threats.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3403 Times on 1950 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodsquito View Post
Most of the 1911 problems can be traced to users who have not gotten to know their pistols ("fumbling over the thumb safety"), reloads or mags (" failing to feed in classes").

Considering how many shoot the 1911 in competition, and how many are being manufactured today, and by so many companies, there must be some reason that the 1911 is still a weapon of today.

One cannot compare it to the Model T. If the Model T was still being made today, and by the same number of companies as the 1911, then, yes, it would be a good comparison.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
M&P9c. I freaking LOVED it. I worry about my finger hitting that mag release though. The middle finger of my dominant hand was resting right on top of it.
Trip,
Are you a southpaw? Either that or the owner of the gun you shot is one and you're a righty. Regardless, on all M&Ps the magazine release can be swapped to the other side. That should alleviate your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
if I ever have to use it, you can rest assure there will be at least three shots fired before assessing the threat!
That makes it sound like you don't identify the "attacker" as a threat before you fire. "Shoot first, ask questions later" kind of mindset.

I understand what you mean, I think. But you worded it poorly. We have to make 100% certain the individual we are shooting is a threat to our lives or the lives of loved ones BEFORE we shoot. Really before we draw the gun.