And why not carry smaller calibers? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > And why not carry smaller calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 376 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's only getting up to 27 here today.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #12

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Carry what ever you feel comfortable with. The small caliber handguns do tremendous damage bouncing around inside the victim and not exiting. Most of the choices in carry guns is driven by firearms marketing. I have never heard of civilian being disadvantaged by the caliber of the carry weapon.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #13

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I carry a .45 because it's what the classic 1911 is chambered in, that's what I wanted, and so that's what I bought. I've carried a 22lr as a woods gun, and a k frame .357 as my daily carry also.

I am considering a smaller gun. When I got the dog my son and I adopted, the guy that runs the rescue let me shoot his M&P9c. I freaking LOVED it. I worry about my finger hitting that mag release though. The middle finger of my dominant hand was resting right on top of it.

My dear old mom carries a JA22 and likes it. She had to put the first hundred rounds or so through it with -2 in the mag to break it in, but since then it's run perfect. She calls it her "get to the truck" gun. Her truck gun is an M&P40. I've been considering the JA22.

Fact is, I think something like over 80% of BGs shot in self defense survive. And they RARELY ever continue the fight in the face of loud noises. Actually, watch any surveillance video of one getting lit up by an LAC, and it's really quite hilarious how fast they try to get away from anyone who stands up for themselves.

My opinion is that larger calibers just aren't necessary for SD guns. I carry what I carry because the gun I wanted was chambered for it. I have no desire to kill anyone again.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #14

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
. I have never heard of civilian being disadvantaged by the caliber of the carry weapon.
"Liked......"
Couldn't be said any truer.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #15

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Carry what ever you feel comfortable with. The small caliber handguns do tremendous damage bouncing around inside the victim and not exiting. Most of the choices in carry guns is driven by firearms marketing. I have never heard of civilian being disadvantaged by the caliber of the carry weapon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
"Liked......"
Couldn't be said any truer.
Yup-
Hell I got tired of never finding any BG's to shoot with my big heavy 45's so I just started slipping my little pussified kel-tec 380 into my back pocket

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1157 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Yup- Hell I got tired of never finding any BG's to shoot with my big heavy 45's so I just started slipping my little pussified kel-tec 380 into my back pocket
Go big or go home

Old 11-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #17

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Over the many decades of hunting big game I have used many handgun calibers. Back 40 years ago the "Wonder" nines were the way to go. I was guiding an Antelope hunter from Pennsylvania. The hunter wounded an Antelope and discovered he had lost his ammo box.
My personal carry weapon at the time was a S&W Mdl. 39 9MM. I was able to approach the "Goat" with in 15 yards. I had a magazine of super magic 9MM hollow points. It took 7 well aimed shots to put the animal down. The facts are a .22 Mag. will kill a pissed off Mtn. Lion with one round. I really think all this caliber dispute over CC weapons is based more on drama than experience.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Over the many decades of hunting big game I have used many handgun calibers. Back 40 years ago the "Wonder" nines were the way to go. I was guiding an Antelope hunter from Pennsylvania. The hunter wounded an Antelope and discovered he had lost his ammo box.
My personal carry weapon at the time was a S&W Mdl. 39 9MM. I was able to approach the "Goat" with in 15 yards. I had a magazine of super magic 9MM hollow points. It took 7 well aimed shots to put the animal down. The facts are a .22 Mag. will kill a pissed off Mtn. Lion with one round. I really think all this caliber dispute over CC weapons is based more on drama than experience.

Hollowpoints shouldnt be used on animals. They are much tougher than humans. I can dig up youtubes of 45-70 hp disintigrating on a hog shoulder if your interested... no one disputes the 45-70 can and has killed plenty of american buffalo.

It boils down to using the right bullet for the job at hand.

Hollow points arent good for anything but defense against goblins.

I carry a 380 all the time because its small discrete and allows me to never violate the prime rule of self defense. I prefer a good 45 i sometimes also carry a 9mm when the situation allows.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Hollowpoints shouldnt be used on animals. They are much tougher than humans. I can dig up youtubes of 45-70 hp disintigrating on a hog shoulder if your interested... no one disputes the 45-70 can and has killed plenty of american buffalo.

It boils down to using the right bullet for the job at hand.

Hollow points arent good for anything but defense against goblins.

I carry a 380 all the time because its small discrete and allows me to never violate the prime rule of self defense. I prefer a good 45 i sometimes also carry a 9mm when the situation allows.
If I think I might run into a mountain lion when hiking or jeeping, the 357 is loaded with 158 grain semi jacketed soft points. I use them in the rifle too.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default There is no reason to not carry a smaller caliber

There really is no reason with quality ammunition to not carry a smaller caliber but there actually are several reasons you should.

First lets talk about the mythical powers of the .45ACP. It has a little under 10% increase in power vs a 9mm. It was developed because in warfare it is generally accepted that hollow points are "illegal." The U.S. is not a member of the Hague Convention and has never agreed to it but has followed it. The slower traveling .45 ACP has less chance of going all the way through the threat and transfers most of its energy to the threat.

With modern defensive ammunition the bullets expand and are more effective than FMJ. A 9mm Defensive round is far superior to a .45 FMJ. Guys who love the .45 ACP will defend it to the bitter end. They also will carry a less effective bullet (.45 FMJ) because their 1911 that they cant even think could be inferior to a striker fired gun will jam if they feed defensive ammunition.

A smaller caliber defensive round can give you the ability to shoot faster and more accurately with an even greater effect to the target. You have less recoil to manage and can carry a smaller lighter pistol.