Why do people think police are so quick to kill you? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Why do people think police are so quick to kill you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

""anybody that thinks poorly of the police obviously are doing something wrong,""

You must be a cop.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Why do people think police are so quick to kill you?

step away from my donuts boy lol

Old 05-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think people feel cheated with the fact that while most trust the police, the police do not feel the same toward the public.Trusting someone and getting no trust in return is something some people fail to accept with police.

One thing I hate is for someone to go out of their way to make acquaintances with local cops, then when they're stopped for some reason they start calling the cop by his first name and telling him a bunch of bull about knowing each other. That's another reason cop's are not so friendly.

Cops cannot afford to trust people, they cannot afford to be friendly, and they don't get paid to be careless or prejudice. They are paid to be courteous and cautious with the public.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAction View Post
I think people feel cheated with the fact that while most trust the police, the police do not feel the same toward the public.Trusting someone and getting no trust in return is something some people fail to accept with police.

One thing I hate is for someone to go out of their way to make acquaintances with local cops, then when they're stopped for some reason they start calling the cop by his first name and telling him a bunch of bull about knowing each other. That's another reason cop's are not so friendly.

Cops cannot afford to trust people, they cannot afford to be friendly, and they don't get paid to be careless or prejudice. They are paid to be courteous and cautious with the public.
I have been a cop for 24 years and have a fair amount of experience in this matter. I spent 8 years training officers. Rookies to the boss, jailers to SWAT cops.

Many dozens of officers are killed inthe line of duty every year. Many hundreds are seriously wounded. The FBI does an in depth investigation into how and why these officers are killed. The vast majority die because they made a mistake. A mistake in judgement about the person they were dealing with. A mistake in getting too far into a situation that suddenly went wrong. A mistake in driving beyond their abilities that lead to a fatal accident.

The overwhelming personality trait apparent in these dead officers is niceness. The mean ones do not get killed. The nice ones die ugly. There are bad people that take advantage of any weakness. They exploit it to their gain. Officers die as a result.

We walk a very delicate line between safety and courtesy. I try very hard to be polite and professional but MUST maintain my own safety. If your feathers get ruffled because I am curt with you, I will apologize and explain AFTER I have accomplished my mission safely. I have an obligation to the public to be lawful in my actions. I have an obligation to my wife and kids to be safe in my actions. Given a choice between safety and courtesy, I will be safe. If you think I am unreasonable in this, I will arrange a ride out for you to see how scary the job is and then hand you an employment application. I doubt most folks would even fill it out, much less actually turn it in.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:05 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAction View Post

i work at a sandwich shop and see the same 10 cops at least twice a week. one of them pulled me over for speeding after work one day, and despite the fact that he knew me being a polite guy from when i dealt with him at work, he still went through all the motions other cops go through whenever they pull me over. he didnt give me a ticket because he knew me from my job, but he was very thorough in his stop. actually, more thorough than some cops who have pulled me over.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #16

Always remember cops are people and some people are jerks , unfortunately it seems with all of the brain dead antigun politicians making moronic laws and controlling the police forces they specialize in hiring jerks .

It seems like I have been pulled over more in the last 10 years for some of the biggest BS things than ever and had to deal with a jerk hoping to write a ticket .

Few years ago bought a new car and was coming home from work at 3 am to get stopped because the plates didn't match the car "State law is you have 30 days to do a transfer and I had bought it less than a week before and hadn't had a day off to get everything done" even after showing my license and all paperwork including insurance card he stalls asking me moronic questions .

Finally after 30 minutes of playing 20 questions he tells me he is going to "Cut me a break" and not give me a ticket when I hadn't done anything illegal in the first place .

Another night I had one follow me for miles , he had seen me turn into a quicky mart and stop for gas and then followed me into my subdivision making several turns all of which I used my signals . Just my luck on the last turn a signal bulb burned out and didn't flash and he wasted no time at all hitting his lights . Once again I had all papers in order and even said to him he had seen me make several turns and demonstrated the burned out bulb for him .

He decided to not give me a ticket but told me to "Take care of that right away !" I then asked if he knew of an auto parts store that was open at 3am so I could get a bulb , funny he got a real stupid and embarrassed look and said "well just do it first thing in the morning" . Funny part was after having my license for 20 minutes and calling it in he asked me how far I had to go to get home despite being on my street which was a dead end and I was 2 houses away from mine . "Like I would turn onto a dead end street to try and run away from him LOL" .

I have had several more run ins with clowns just like the above including getting pulled over for something as stupid as having my license plate light bulb being burned out "Wow what a hardened criminal I am !!"

Old 05-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Yes, there are some officers that fish for a reason to get into your car. License plate lights are a popular one. Failure to signal a turn or lane change. Some are too lazy to do real "Police work" and fish for warrants.

Statistic driven supervisors are one of the reasons. All supervisors need a way to measure ones work and LE is a field that is difficult to measure. Arrests, citations and reports are measuring tools that can give the wrong message. Some officers feel the need to make BS stops to "pad the stats" and fish for warrants or drugs.

Stat driven management can and does lead to citizen contacts like that. Crappy attitudes of officers make the contacts negative in the eyes of the violator/citizen. I worked traffic enforcement (Motors) for five years. 20,000 stops in five years and only one written complaint. It's a job. Attitude makes the difference.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:41 AM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Stat driven management can and does lead to citizen contacts like that. Crappy attitudes of officers make the contacts negative in the eyes of the violator/citizen. I worked traffic enforcement (Motors) for five years. 20,000 stops in five years and only one written complaint. It's a job. Attitude makes the difference.
wow, thats a lot of stops. average of 20 stops per hard working day. for 5 years straight. fishing for warrants, eh?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #19

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I just treat them with respect and they always return it. The police in my home town were down right harassing me at one point, but I figured out the reason why. I had wreaked my pickup and purchased one from a local guy it was a 1972 Ford F250. The guy smelled like he slept in a bottle of booze. So when I all of a sudden was driving his truck all over town they knew he was an alke and were just looking out for everyone's safety. Did I like being accused of being on meth, crack, PCP, pot, Heroin, drunk. I even got pulled over for going the speed limit on main street because I had a rifle in my gun rack. The rifle was an old marlin 38-40 lever action that did not even function. They had 4 out of the 6 police cars in the town screeching to a halt outside of my house at midnight waking up the surrounding 4 blocks of people. Scared my wife and woke up my 3 month old baby at the time. They beat the hell out of my rifle getting it out of the truck. They had me handcuffed in the back of a car all because I supposdly had a light on my lic plate out they did not like it when I pointed out that both lights were working then it all of a sudden became you were doing 30 in a 25mph zone. Funny thing is after searching my truck and finding that there was no ammo (None was made at that time that I could have afforded). I was a bit soured on them for a long time. That and the point that they the police were some of the biggest drug dealers in my home town did not sit well with me either.

I found that if you are polite and respectful they really notice that and more often than not will return the favor with writing you a polite and respectful ticket. LOL Being truthfull and respectfull goes a long way with many people esp with men and women that have to deal with the scum of the earth day in and day out.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-27-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #20

I love reading posts about over armed police, "militarized" police departments' "why do police need xyz weapon", he/ she treated me like I was a drug dealer/ criminal and so on. The simple answer is: Predicting a persons thoughts is IMPOSSIBLE. Sure, you know you're on the road at 3 am because you just pulled a double shift because you have a newborn at home and you need the extra money and you were speeding because your wife has to leave to go to work 10 minutes after you get home and you were swerving because you're so tired, but the officer doesn't know that. You might be the guy who just killed someone down the street and is hauling ass to get outta the the area.
In todays litigious society I think the LAST thing any cop wants to do is shoot someone, even if it's justified. If you look at ODMP.ORG, the majority of felonious LOD deaths are not the result of some "hot call", but simple things like the call comes in as a disturbance or dispute. I hate to use personal experience, but two months ago I got a simple "citizen dispute" call. I stopped a car that was leaving the scene, and when I got out, the driver backed into me. I don't mean my cruiser, and not a "bump". He hit me hard enough to put me completely through the back window of a Subaru Forrester. Then he slammed on the breaks throwing me to the ground. Then, tried to back over me again. The only thing that saved my ass was the ice on the driveway because he couldn't get traction. After I got out of the way and he backed onto the paved road, I ran towards the car and ordered him to stop and put and put his hands on the windshield. After seeing the muzzle of my G23, he put the car in drive, ducked his head below the dash and tried to run me over. With over half the travel out of the trigger I saw a rear seat passenger so I didn't shoot the prick. "Fleeing felon" ring any bells? I would absolutely have been justified, but I didn't want to hit the passenger. Why did this happen? Because he was drunk, under suspension for DUI 3 etc. and that was reason enough for him to try to run me over. And, as RoboCop said, I was trying to be "nice". I had no information other than "citizen dispute", was not sure what the vehicle had to with it other than it was there, and I tried to be low key because it was 2 AM and the car stopped in a residential driveway. I know better after 7 years, but I was being "nice".
Now, I was the one working double shifts because I have kids at home and need the extra money, this guy doesn't and buying dope is his motivation to make money. So, now, after 2 months out of work, a **** load of doctors appointments, medication that makes me sick, my girlfriend being forced to take care of the kids essentially by herself, falling behind on my bills because workman's comp only pays 2/3 of my salary and I can't work overtime, I might get to go back to work on Tuesday. Meanwhile, the states attorney refused to charge the douche with attempted murder and he was out of jail THE SAME DAY on $10,000 unsecured bond. And he was ALREADY on probation!
Most people are decent and have a decent "excuse" for speeding, swerving, running a stop sign, etc. Some, as my "friend" above, don't, and don't give a second thought about taking out a cop because they're not "real people" (ala Reservoir Dogs). I think my kids, my girlfriend, my parents and my brother would disagree.
It seems that the "******* cop" stories are retold more than the ones about the cop who found a lost kid, pulled someone from a car fire, made a sexual assault case, helped out the battered wife etc. Not that I think cops deserve some special praise at all because that's part of the job, but don't dwell on a bad experience. I despise anyone who makes the general statement "I don't like cops." That is about as ignorant as saying I don't like blacks, whites or hispanics. Yes, some cops are jerks, but so are some store clerks, so are some mechanics, so are some doctors and so on. People just the same. If a cop is a prick, it's a personality flaw and he or she had that flaw long before they donned a badge and gun as an agent of the State.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 05-28-2008 at 09:25 PM.