Why do I shoot revolvers so much better than regular semi autos?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Why do I shoot revolvers so much better than regular semi autos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Why do I shoot revolvers so much better than regular semi autos?

I was at the the range yesterday and my dad was renting a few guns he wanted to consider buying. I shot a Smith and Wesson m&p9, sig p226, and a Beretta 92fs. Out of those 3 I shot best with the 92fs but still wasn't very accurate. I hit probably 5/10 (sometimes more or less) shots most of the time shooting at steel targets 25ft away. Keep in mind I think im a pretty decent shot with a rifle(100 yards with iron sights isn't too difficult for me) Anyway we went in and shot a smith and wesson 686 in 357 mag and every time I got 6/7 shots at least but usually 7/7 and I was shooting 35ft and 100 ft. I hit a 12 inch target 7 times in a row! So why is it I shoot revolvers alot better than regular semi autos? I do think I need to work on my handgun shooting in general though.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #2

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

How are you shooting the revolver, single action?

How long is the barrel?

Trigger pull and sight radius can have a lot to do with it. Also some folks just slow down and pay attention more with a revolver or any "different" gun that they try.

Ammo could have some effect as well. Many reloads for autos, that ranges sell to be used in rentals, may not be the best.

Some folks just do better with wheel guns.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 02-09-2014 at 05:49 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8990 Times on 4852 Posts
Likes Given: 19002

How long was the barrel on the revolver?

Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

some people can shoot revolvers better because they take more time shooting and concentrating on the their shots more than they do with a semi-auto pistol.

maybe the revolver fits your hand better than the semi-autos you have been shooting. the fit of the pistol to your hand has a lot to do with how well you shoot a pistol as well.

there may be many other reasons why you shoot them better too.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #5

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

If you want a challenge, try a snub nosed .38 that is double action only.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

Liked 431 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1588

Most people shoot most revolvers more accurate than Semi autos.
Semi auto have moving loose barrels and revolvers have fixed barrels.
revolvers have a fixed frame semi auto a sliding frame.

if I have a meeting engagement in open terrain with a .357 mag Revolver vs someone with a semi auto of any caliber its not even a fair fight, they will be inside my effective engagement envelope long before I am in theirs

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?
jackrich3 Likes This 
Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1312 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 570

You either have a poorly designed, constructed, and/or maintained semi-auto pistol or you aren't really all that great at shooting. It's not a put-down, it's just an observation from watching hundreds of people shoot over the years. I don't drive one type of car better than others and I don't shoot one type of gun better than others.

It took me a long time to become proficient shooting pistols and revolvers and it's not like riding a bike. I was not noticeably more accurate with one operating mechanism or the other. I've yet to pick up a pistol or revolver that can't put all rounds in the cylinder or magazine into a playing card at 15 yards and I've had plenty of people hand me their pistols and revolvers after watching me shoot. I hand them whatever I'm shooting at the time and let them shoot it so they understand that there's no magic weapon out there that aims for you.

You either keep your sights on target while you squeeze the trigger or you don't. It really is that simple. You don't have to "hold it right", you don't have to "use the right stance", and you don't have to "have the right gun". Anyone who believes otherwise doesn't know anything about marksmanship fundamentals and you don't need to take any more instruction from them if they tell you that any of that BS will increase your accuracy because it won't. It may make follow-up shots faster, it may make absorbing the recoil and getting back on target faster or easier, or moving around easier or more comfortable, but it has nothing to do with marksmanship. So, a lighter SA trigger pull on a revolver may make that task easier, but it's still up to you to do just that and only that.

Blaming a certain type of mechanical device for what is largely a matter of how well you control it isn't going to make you a better shooter. Yes, some weapons are intrinsically more accurate than others, but all of them are remarkably accurate, even the cheaply made ones.

Best advice, shoot whatever semi-auto you intend to carry a lot more. It may be faster for some than others, but it took time for me and even after how everything worked became clear in my mind, it still took a lot of practice. All the books in the world describing marksmanship, no matter how well-explained, aren't equivalent to shooting whatever it is you intend to carry.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1312 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Oh and one other thing, I've shot with enough different people to know that there's no rhyme or reason as to who is going to be a good marksman (apart from proper training and a lot of practice). I've shot alongside active SOF guys and teenage girls and I've seen teenage girls who were better marksmen than I and SOF guys who weren't as good a shot as I am on their best day. It doesn't mean that the SOF guys aren't excellent at what they do and they're certainly far better than I in many, many areas that contribute to marksmanship excellence (more physical training, more practice, etc).

I've noticed that the people who excel at marksmanship generally put in a good amount of practice and have had some sort of formal training. In the end, it's all up to you and has almost nothing to do with what you have in your hands.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #9

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

6" barrel double and single action.
It was probably because I was pulling of the target at the end of the pull with the other guns because of the longer harder trigger pull im not used to. I usually only shoot rifles, 1911's, or revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8659 Times on 5166 Posts
Likes Given: 11406

I think a DA revolver has a pretty darned long trigger pull. Longer than any semi-auto pistol I've shot.
jpattersonnh Likes This