Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Why Do I Like What I Like?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Why Do I Like What I Like?

I don't know,I like certain handguns for certain reasons.I Traded 2 Taurus revolvers that I had for 1 Ruger auto,because that was the deal the gun dealer was willing to give me-so even though I am not an auto guy,I like the Ruger auto I have because I like the brand name.I want another revolver soon,and even though I love snub noses,I won't be getting a snub first because I will be getting a .357,and a .357 is robbed a HUGE chunk of energy by being in a snub-so I will be getting at least a 4" barrel on any .357 I get.I will probably be getting a Ruger GP100.But I still love those snubs!It is just my personal belief that snubs are no good in magnum chamberings.I would rather a snub be a .38 or .22 or something,so I think that's what I'll get my next snub in-probably a S&W .22LR snub.The Idea of a tiny snub in .22 exites me.I like a challenge that I can afford to master.All I got now is the Ruger auto,my next gun for sure will be a 4.2" GP100 .357,and maybe I will get a S&W .22 snub soon after.I don't know why I like what I like-I just do.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Let me address this one thing you said-

357's lose too much energy in a short barreled configuration.(Ad-lib)

But you'd rather have a 38 snubbie.

Consider the fact that 38 is anemic rto begin with, and then factor in incomplete ignition in a short barrel(SB).

It makes more sense to own a 357 snubbie(I have a S&W 60 stainless chiefs). As what ever loss in velocity and energy, is minimal compared to a 38.

And, Speer and other manufactures have been making runs of SB ammo with faster powders to ensure complete combustion.

NOW, if you want a GP100 4", don't let my last argument suade you from doing so. The GP is one of the best 357 revolvers available(I've had 3)

But a 22 snubbie, I think that's a redundant waste of funds.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #3

I reilize that a .357 snub has more power than a .38 snub,but it drives me mad to think I would be shaving 1/3 of the power off a .357 by simply having a 2" barrel vs a 4".I don't think the percent loss of energy would be as high in a .38.And as far as the .22 snub-I have yet to hear from anyone that thinks like me,most people say get a 6" .22,or at least a 4".But for me,a .22 snub would be a fun little toy,one where I don't care if I lose energy in a snub,something that is a huge challenge-fixed sights,short sight radius,just something to put hundreds of rounds through and something that forces me to gain skill to use.But when it comes to my home defense gun-I want a 4" barrel .357 that I know I am accurate with and that retains alot of energy to stop a threat fast.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get an Elsie Ahrrrr and be happy!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #5

I think I have changed my mind and made a decision.I will be getting an airlite s&w 317 snub in .22.I don't absolutely need the gp100 right now because I already own a Ruger p95 9mm,so I don't NEED another HD gun right away-I am getting the 317 because I love snubs,I want a S&W,and I want a .22,so I kill 3 birds with one stone this way,and when I spend the same amount of money for 10 boxes of .22 ammo that I would have spent on just one box of .38/.357,I will be laughing at the people who try to buy 500 rounds of .38/.357 and still enjoy shooting it-I won't be upset or any less wealthy.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I wonder if a .22 snubby would be "worth it" money-wise in comparison to a snubby in .38 special?

My late grandma traded/gave me a snubby .38 special when i was about 15; she said the trigger pull was too heavy for her. It was a fun lil gun, except for the teetiny grip. I think my Mom has it in her bedside table nowadays. I have thought of getting Mom something easier to handle and then trying to find some big rubber grips for the lil bugger. I really liked the look of that pistol.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #7

the 637 and 317 are almost identical exept for one being .38 and one being .22lr.At our local sporting goods store,if I remember right,they had both new-the 637 was $440 and the 317 was $640.I don't understand why a lesser caliber costs more.You just don't see too many high quality .22 revolvers out there I guess.I like the modern police like looking backup gun style of the 317,I hate the old west syle revolvers,I like the modern urban looking snubs for some reason.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Personally, I don't see a purpose for tiny .22's other than just fun. They're not powerful, not accurate, but they suit some people.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #9

I really just want a replacement for the gun I used to have,but traded for a Ruger 9mm.I used to have a Taurus 94 .22 4",and it was 25 oz-I see that the S&W is about 10 oz.Is the S&W worth more than twice the price of the Taurus?Is it built better with better metals etc?I will be forking over about $640 for this little guy and I need to know if it's worth it.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I reilize that a .357 snub has more power than a .38 snub,but it drives me mad to think I would be shaving 1/3 of the power off a .357 by simply having a 2" barrel vs a 4".I don't think the percent loss of energy would be as high in a .38.And as far as the .22 snub-I have yet to hear from anyone that thinks like me,most people say get a 6" .22,or at least a 4".But for me,a .22 snub would be a fun little toy,one where I don't care if I lose energy in a snub,something that is a huge challenge-fixed sights,short sight radius,just something to put hundreds of rounds through and something that forces me to gain skill to use.But when it comes to my home defense gun-I want a 4" barrel .357 that I know I am accurate with and that retains alot of energy to stop a threat fast.
If your going to buy a .38special revolver ALWAYS buy a revolver chambered in .357 magnum. you can safely shoot .38 special out of a .357 but not the other way round. why hamstring yourself. firing a .357 out of a half inch barrel is better than firing a .38 out of a 6 incher...