Why .380 over 9mm??? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Why .380 over 9mm???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
What? You carry a pocket gun with an empty chamber? What for? How long does it take you to get it out and rack the slide so you can shoot?

Might as well carry a small hammer imo.
I had a feeling that some one might object to this. Let me explain that without a holster there's no guard for the trigger & I'm not anxious to pull a Plaxico Burris.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
I had a feeling that some one might object to this. Let me explain that without a holster there's no guard for the trigger & I'm not anxious to pull a Plaxico Burris.
"The best safety device is between your ears."

I read an article in "Shooting Times" a couple months ago regarding the use of more "convenient" firearms (and calibers) that we now carry when compared with a typical J frame revolver or something of the likes which was the standard carry weapon 25 (and so) years ago. I believe the writer promised a "more in depth" review of this and further reporting of this in the future.

It boils down to how much power you are willing sacrifice for convenience and how well you shoot with that particular "lesser" gun/caliber. I got rid of a Kel-Tec P11 because I hated the way it felt (among other reasons) and couldn't shoot it as effectively as any of my other handguns. I now carry only .357's and feel safer with 5-6 rounds (before reloads) than I did with 10+1 of 9mm. But that's just me.

On the other side of the coin a fellow hand-gunner (damn near master) chooses to only carry a 9mm now. He used to carry a .45, but feels more comfortable, accurate and deadly with the 9mm (and he is ). Of course we live in an open carry state, so that 9mm is usually a XDM with 19+1 rounds that will all hit their mark.

Everyone is different.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anyone mention marketing. Not trying to blast the 380 or anyone who decides to carry one but I think one of the big reasons for the sudden surge in popularity of the round is marketing. There has been a big push for pocket autos as more people want to carry and they want to carry without changing their current mode of dress to accomidate it. A few year ago there were only a couple of pocket 380s that come to mind and now every manufacturer has one, it's the current gun trend.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Being a gun person for over 50 years and shooting in competition for many years, I own numerous pistols in just about every popular caliber ranging in power from a 44 magnum down to a 22 long rifle, so I could conceivable carry just about anything I want. My carry pistol of choice is a Walther PPK/s in 380 acp. I carry this particular pistol for several reasons. First, is the small size. It fits comfortably in my pocket. I can carry this pistol while wearing shorts and a tee shirt without anyone the wiser. I can carry this pistol, and do, when I am working in the yard. I carry this pistol when walking across the a parking lot at night, with my hand on my gun and my thumb on the safety. I can draw and fire no less than two rounds long before a bad guy even knew what was in my hand, and yes I do practice. I would never even think about not having a round in the chamber for a defensive firearm, especially since this pistol has a safe firing pin block and a trigger pull similar to a revolver on the first round. How much reaction time do you think you will have when you first become aware of a knife or gun on a bad guy's hand? I know of no cop that carries his gun on a dead chamber? Only someone that's dead drunk is just going to stand there while you pull your gun, rack the slide, hope it doesn't malfunction, then draw down on him? Maybe it might work with enough practice, but you are betting your life and possible the life of you loved ones.

My second reason for choosing the Walther is the design of the pistol, even though it's a 70 year old design. It is very accurate at a distance far greater than I plan to be shooting at someone. It is comfortable to shoot, an afternoon at the range is not a problem. It is dependable, I typically never go to the range with less than 200 rounds for practice. It will fire these and more with NO functioning problems. It is safe to carry without the worry of an accidental discharge.

So many of these subcompacts have terrible triggers, are miserable to shoot and are only accurate for extremely short distances. Many of these guns would be hard pressed to pass the concealed carry shooting test, even in capable hands and certainly not with a casual shooter. Additionally, these subcompacts have malfunctioning issues. American Rifleman magazine recently tested many of these subcompact and almost all had functioning problems, read the article for yourself, not what you want for a carry firearm.

The 9mm pistols are simply larger, thicker, heaver and harder to conceal with the possible exception of the Walther PPS in 9mm, which is thinner and similar in size to my PPK/s, but more square in design. As far as power the 9mm has the advantage, but not by much with the proper load in a 380.

Everyone has an opinion and this is mine and it works for me.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #25

i carry a kel tec p3at and i love it. i got the finger grip extension on the mag which helps gripability alot im gettin really accurate with it i know some say 380 is too small but i think i can do enough damage with my six shoots and i got a back up ten round mag doesn't really matter what caliber if u can't hit your target with it your not gonna do a good job of defending yourself

Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anyone mention marketing. There has been a big push for pocket autos as more people want to carry and they want to carry without changing their current mode of dress to accomidate it. A few year ago there were only a couple of pocket 380s that come to mind and now every manufacturer has one, it's the current gun trend.
I think that is a BIG factor in all of this .380 popularity. I simply don't care for the current pocket pistols' functionality. They don't feel right to me, so I choose not to carry one. If I can can pack a .357 just as easily and be more effective with it, it is not even a consideration.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #27

Im new to the carry but when I took the carry class in sc they stated that the .380 is 62% gonna put someone down in three shots or less, where as a 9mm was 75 to 90% gonna put someone down... To me a .380 would be a decent gun for someone who doesnt shoot, or has never shot a gun before, but thats MHO , I have owned a .380, but I mow own a 9mm, and honestly I will not go back to anything smaller than a 9 for carry purposes

Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the forum, 06Ranger. You do realize this thread is over a year old right?
I'm only commenting because I completely disagree with your statement. IMO, most of the 380s being made today, ie LCP, Keltec, Sig P238 and that ugly thing Taurus makes are going to be snappy little guns that most people find unpleasant to shoot. I would not recommend them for a new shooter or someone who doesn't spend time at the range and a person that doesn't spend time at the range has no business carrying a weapon.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #29

Liked 353 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I've shied away from 380acp for the typical reasons...the ballistics and cost of 380 vs 9mm. I did think it over a bit though.

But I do understand why people carry them. It's for the same reason I favor carrying a KelTec PF9 over the XD45 I used to lug around. It's not a better defense gun, but it's a heck of a lot more convenient. And that means there's a much greater chance that I'll be armed at any given moment that I need to be.

I think 380acp really walks the line between backup option and acceptable primary carry caliber. It's not the ideal defense round, but it'll do the trick in most cases...even out of those micro barrels. Like any caliber, it's usefulness is best measured by the competency of the shooter behind it.

I chose the micro 9mm in part because of the added ballistics, but also because I seem to be constantly sitting on about 3000rds of it. So again, convenience.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi Spittin Fire,

I just wondered if you had actually fired any of the .380's that you mention? I have, and a lot of the new .380's are indeed belly guns. You have to stick it in there belly to hit anything. I think if you have ever fired the Walther PPK you will have a different opinion. I have not tried the Sig, but I have a friend that tells me his is accurate.

I used to carry the PPK because I could not find a handgun that was small, dependable and accurate. When Walther came out with the PPS in 9mm I switched because it too was easy to conceal and had more punch. The workings of the PPS is like the Glock and my PPS has never jammed and is very accurate.

When it comes to carry a new shooter is no different from an old pro. You need to carry what you can shoot accurately. A .45 is great, but a .380 that you can carry all the time is better than a .45 left in the car or at home.

Newest Threads