Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Why .380 over 9mm???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Why .380 over 9mm???

Just wondering what is the reason people choose 380 over 9mm when buying a new gun. Way I see it, they are almost identical but less power on 380. Ammo cost is a definite advantage to 9mm supply availability and price wise. Potency wise, I think 9mm also has advantage.

I can understand if they already got the gun but when buying new...is it the recoil? More compact? Just plain choice? What is it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Very simple really - .380s come in truly small guns suited for pocket carry. While I've heard many folks say they pocket carry a Kahr PM9 or a KelTec PF9 - put either of these next to an LCP and compare...

Old 04-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #3

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

MIne is mostly a back up for my 9mm or .45 auto

Old 04-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #4

I had a KelTec 9mm just for pocket carry...what a miserable gun to shoot. Practice with it was no fun at all so I just stopped shooting it.

The tried the Ruger LCP...was much more pleasant to shoot and far more likely to be practiced with.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #5

Liked 3755 Times on 1859 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

I think it boils down to two factors. Size and Price.

The smallest 9mm sub compacts still have more bulk than the current "noisy cricket" flock of .380's of which the Ruger LCP leads the pack and has a strong following here.

Personally, the smallest gun I own for defensive carry is the Kahr PM9. Over the years I've carried .32's, and .380's, mainly for there size, but I've come to realize that for ME, 9mm is the smallest caliber I'm comfortable with, just MHO.

I've also realized that I can not get a natural grip on any of the "noisy crickets". The Kahr is the smallest gun I've found that I can grip quickly and shoot accurately.

Yes, you'll spend nearly double for a good sub compact 9mm from a reputable builder but IMO your getting twice the gun.

If your trying to stay in the .380 price range I'd suggest you look at the Kel Tec 9mm. The trigger is not in the same league as the Kahr but it's 2 bills less money.

Good Luck!

TACK.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys.

Just to clarify, I have no plans or even considered buying a 380. I am just curious why people still buy them as I (personally) don't see a practical reason to buy one.

I guess being compact (for backup use) is the best reason.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I own a lot of "bigger" guns but I generally carry a Walther PPK in .380 as it's convenient and easy to conceal. I don't need to pack a .44 Magnum to feel comfortable and protected...

Old 04-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

It's not the size or caliber of the gun that matters but rather how well you use it

Old 04-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Just wondering what is the reason people choose 380 over 9mm when buying a new gun. Way I see it, they are almost identical but less power on 380. Ammo cost is a definite advantage to 9mm supply availability and price wise. Potency wise, I think 9mm also has advantage.

I can understand if they already got the gun but when buying new...is it the recoil? More compact? Just plain choice? What is it?
I have no idea. I don't like mouse auto's in any caliber. Smallest I want for carry is 9mm or 38special.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
It's not the size or caliber of the gun that matters but rather how well you use it
How well do you have to use a .22short for it to be a viable carry gun?

Newest Threads