Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Who is your Gunsmith when SHTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My choices of firearms are not typical, and this is part of the reason. The ones I own and shoot, I understand to the barebones, with a few exceptions.

Being able to use, maintain and repair stuff is important to a certain type of individual. While learning the finite details of firearms can be a long process, it seems to be not terribly different than many other mechanical devices in modern life.

I am working on a S&W wheel gun currently.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:11 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5109 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Check the firing pin on your Springfield. I think you will see that it is not the same as a Colt, or USGI FP. No issue, but get a spare for an SAI from Brownells. As far back as 1987 (that I know of) Springfield Armory was using a FP very similar to a .38Super FP. But USGI 1911 parts have dried up.

And that blown case in the Glock is due to high pressure loads causing a case rupture. It is an ammo problem, not a gun problem. 1911's do that too, which is the main reason for fully supported chambers and ramped barrels on many custom 1911's. .45ACP is not a high pressure round, so hot (+P, +P+) loads can cause problems. Standard velocity ammo will never be a problem in a Glock .40 or .45.
i understand the hot ammo thing but shtf beggers cant be choosers when it comes to ammo. i do have spare pins with three different 1911's plus spares im gtg. main gun will be a rifle handgun is not primary. even full auto parts from military sources will work in a civvy AR15.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-02-2011 at 04:17 AM.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i understand the hot ammo thing but shtf beggers cant be choosers when it comes to ammo. i do have spare pins with three different 1911's plus spares im gtg.
Amen to that. That's why I have "plenty" of ammo. Good on ya for having the spare parts.

But those over pressured loads are gonna blow anything. It is fashionable to blame Glocks, but everything KBs when over loaded. Ever wonder why most of the blown guns are .40's and .45's, and not 9x19 or 10mm? The 9x19 and 10mm are designed for high pressures and the .40's and .45's are not. Asking the round to do more than it was designed for is never a good idea.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I am. My gunsmith also happens to be a former military type that did work on 5 continents...JD
What he said.

Except, only 3 continents for me, and If it comes down to reconing a hard to find, or a much needed part not on hand...well you did say it was a worst case/SHTF scenario.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Who is your Gunsmith when SHTF?

I'd fire my gunsmith in a heartbeat if I could find one that worked cheaper.
Limited knowledge, not big on finesse. All his tools are old and are more suited for changing a transmission or laying track for the railroad than for gunsmithing,

Yep, I'd fire myself if I could

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #16

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My father-in-law barely even has enough ammo to fill one cylinder of his revolver. If we can hook up in a bad situation, I'll have to be his gunsmith. I've got an extra (or more) of every spring and pin in my arsenal.

I wouldn't have it any other way. This is the reason for 1911 and AR-15!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have been tinkering with my guns for some years now. I am nowhere near a gunsmith, not even close. However, I am pretty handy and have become somewhat more proficient as time has gone by.

I can probably get by. Maybe only just, but I think I can get by.

BTW, having good manuals makes all the difference. I have a bunch of the Gun Digest Assembly/Dis-assembly Manuals. They're worth their weight in gold. (or they could be )

Great thread idea Rock.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I have been tinkering with my guns for some years now. I am nowhere near a gunsmith, not even close. However, I am pretty handy and have become somewhat more proficient as time has gone by.

I can probably get by. Maybe only just, but I think I can get by.

BTW, having good manuals makes all the difference. I have a bunch of the Gun Digest Assembly/Dis-assembly Manuals. They're worth their weight in gold. (or they could be )

Great thread idea Rock.
I'm like Don as I'd never call myself a gunsmith but I am knowledgeable of the guns I own and I do keep common spare parts on hand. Actually just ordered another batch of 1911 spare parts just because. Great thread and hopefully it makes folks think a bit...

Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Although not a true gunsmith, I do all my work myself (with very few exceptions).

Having parts that swap is one thing, but having the knowledge of how to do it and how parts work together is another.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 02-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I also hope people keep a hard copy and not just electronic copies of them. In extreme SHTF, there might be no power or all computers are fried.