Who is your favorite gun writer? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Who is your favorite gun writer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 265 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
Hmmmm. I'm a little surprised that most of the writers mentioned here are the older ones; nobody's mentioned people like John Taffin, Jim Wilson, Ayoob, etc.

Is todays crop of writers so boring that nobody will claim to enjoy them?
I enjoy all the writers mentioned plus Sweaney. I am not so arrogant that I don't think I can learn from them. I read their books too. I have all of Cooper's books and a bunch of Sweaney's, for example. Ayoob is hard to listen to, but great to read. I particularly like his books and articles on the law and on physiology.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #12

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I always liked Elmer Keith, Skeeter,etc. the current crop of writers don't do much for me. I do like Marco Verobiev(sp?) though.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 AM   #13

Liked 97 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Skeeter Skelton was and is still my favorite. His background was far more well rounded than any of the others and his writing style was comfortable and clear. I also like Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper and P. H. Capstick; but their backgrounds and viewpoints were all more limited than Skelton's.

Current writers are pretty fair. I like Mike Venturino and Jim Wilson. They are knowledgeable of their specialties and communicate well. However, they and most all current magazine writers are not very 'memorable' as writers. Some writers seem to have a lack of historical perspective on many matters, and I find that underwhelming.

There are a few members of various firearms forums who really have an understanding of firearms, ammunition and usage. As it happens, I can't remember all of them, but I appreciate them.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
txpossum Likes This 
Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #14

Liked 1147 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

His background was far more well rounded than any of the others and his writing style was comfortable and clear.

If I'm remembering correctly, he was, among other things, a border patrolman, a sheriff, a customs agent. and rancher, as well as having served in the military. He was also best buds with Bill Jordan, and their potshots at each other in the pages of the gun mags of the time are classic.

And his major in college was English.
OldManMontgomery Likes This 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 720 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 2816

Askins
Capstick
Cooper
Ruark
Skelton

Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #16

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Cooper was pompous and dogmatic and, yes, egotistical but he was no Idiot .

Cooper used competition shooting as a laboratory to find out what techniques would work in a gunfight . He collected AARs from former students who got into gunfights to further find out what works. He codified the Modern Technique and taught it to appreciative students. He wrote excellent articles on gun rights, crime, tactics, ballistics --You name it. Cooper served on the NRA board . I've read his The Art of The Rifle, Cooper on Handguns, To Ride Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth, Principles of Personal Defense and maybe more. Heck, as a boy I was inspired by his article on how to shoot a pistol in the Guns & Ammo Annual 1969 Edition .
OldManMontgomery Likes This 
Old 03-15-2013, 03:38 AM   #17

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The "Golden" age of gun rags was the 1950-1970s. The internet has replaced them for the most part. The writers of the "Golden" age were more astute at connecting with the shooters of that time. The WWII vets and youngsters home from Asia understood the writings of Kieth,Cooper, Askins etc.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 325 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Elmer Rules ! His debates w O'Conner were legendary.
nitestalker Likes This