Who is your favorite gun writer?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Who is your favorite gun writer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Who is your favorite gun writer?

For myself, and many others of my generation, the answer to this question comes instantly and easily: the late, great Charles A. "Skeeter" Skelton, who wrote about handguns in Shooting Times for over 20 years.

It seems unreal that it has been 25 years since Skeeter passed away. For pure enjoyment of reading I have never seen his equal in ST or any other firearms magazine. Instead of just giving a review of a pistol, he wove the specifics of the handgun into a narrative that informed and entertained with never a seam showing.

I bought copies of both of the hardback collections of Skeeter's writings when they came out, and like a damn fool I loaned them out and never got them back. Those books are now out of print, and go for upwards of $100 these days. A couple of years back I scoured the internet looking for any of his writing in the web, and was able to download about 250 pages of his articles and columns. It is on my kindle, and I re-read portions of it every few months.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #2

Here is a site with a collection of his writings:

http://www.darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Elmer Keith was a good one. Wrote some classic material. Jeff Cooper was another.

About Elmer's life:

http://www.sixguns.com/bunkhouse/elmer_keith.htm

Last edited by rocshaman; 03-13-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #4

I liked reading Elmer Keith, but Jeff Cooper (even though at one time he was considered the high priest of the Church of the 1911) to me always seemed to have an undertone of assumed infallibility that sorta irriated me.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

The key is looking past style into the man's knowledge. He did know what he was talking about and in fact came up with a lot of cutting edge concepts, for his time. I still remember reading Cooper's Corner in Guns and Ammo. I always enjoyed his insight.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5535 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Skelton and Keith were very entertaining. Askins was knowledgeable.

Cooper and O'Connor were arrogant egotistical idiots.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In the 50's we had O'Connor at ODL, Pete Brown at Field & Stream and Warren Page at F&S.

I read Phil Sharpe, Askins and my favorite was Townsend Whelan.

We had Ackley, Landis, Lyman, Hagel, Ruark, Taylor, Mann, Wooters etc.

What's happened now is the internet and these forums!

While I still get the American Rifleman and American Hunter from our lifetime memberships in the NRA I no longer subscribe to other magazines.

I used to get the: Rifle, Handloader etc.

I can even trade posts with one or more gun writers on forums!

To add that I see I forgot Keith. He was entertaining ...............

Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5501 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

I for one am glad the interweb has killed off the gun rags. Back in the 80's the world of guns was boring. Everyome only had one of two or three opinions which were espoused for them by the big rags. If you didnt have a 1911 or a pre64 winchester mod 70 or didnt shoot dangerously overloaded keith loads your opinion wasnt worth anything.

Now that we have the web the world of guns has absolutely expanded infinately beyound that old dried up relic of pre-printed opinion pieces.

To answer your question, my favorite gun writers are the folks that inhabit these forums. Honest people who actually invest time and money into their sport and share their honest adventures and opinions with the rest of us.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-13-2013 at 04:53 AM.
locutus Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I liked Bob Milek he was handgun editor of Guns & Ammo. Bob replaced Elmer Kieth and was with Elmer when he had the stroke in Houston.
Bob was a dear friend, who died very young before his time. I was also a Big fan of "Skeeter". I really like the visits to Jug Johnsons Turkey Track Ranch.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #10

Hmmmm. I'm a little surprised that most of the writers mentioned here are the older ones; nobody's mentioned people like John Taffin, Jim Wilson, Ayoob, etc.

Is todays crop of writers so boring that nobody will claim to enjoy them?