who shoots IDPA?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > who shoots IDPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default who shoots IDPA?

Shot with some long lost family last weekend up at the local sport shooting range (Memphis sport shooting association or MSSA), it had a very country club like feel (and cost of membership too). They literally had every kind of range I would want to shoot at,i never knew it existed until they told me they were members and invited me out there... and its 10 minutes down the road! But I checked out their web page and its where the local I.D.P.A. has their meets at,I'm currently looking to either sell my fnp-45 and get into a walther PPQ or P99AS in 9mm or trade it in for one of them at a lgs and thought this would be a fantastic gun to start to get into IDPA if it is in fact the way I think it is. From the way IDPA is described on the sports website it seems like an extremely good way to establish a good foundation and build advanced skill levels and muscle memory with your ccw. Also seems like it would be cheaper way of becoming and staying proffecient with your handgun than paying for high dollar fighting pistol classes.

Am I correct in these assumptions? Do you all who have tried it think it can double as a more structured type of training than going to your local range and plinking once a month?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Jstrong,

I have shot IDPA, USPSA, and various other forms of competition for a number of years. IDPA and many others are great for maintaining familiarity and working on fundamentals, but keep something in mind. THEY ARE GAMES!! They will not replace good training from a quality instructor. Competitive shooting is great, but it is not tactical or self defense training. Learn solid fundamentals, good tactics and situational awareness and then use competition to help maintain these skills. The game won't teach you to fight, but it will help you practice and hone skills if you approach it correctly.

JW

Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #3

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver451
Jstrong,

I have shot IDPA, USPSA, and various other forms of competition for a number of years. IDPA and many others are great for maintaining familiarity and working on fundamentals, but keep something in mind. THEY ARE GAMES!! They will not replace good training from a quality instructor. Competitive shooting is great, but it is not tactical or self defense training. Learn solid fundamentals, good tactics and situational awareness and then use competition to help maintain these skills. The game won't teach you to fight, but it will help you practice and hone skills if you approach it correctly.

JW
Thanks for the feedback,I've also looked into taking a class or two from tactical response over in Camden,TN. They're about two or three hours away from me but have good reviews online. While not cheapby any meabs,they are also not as expensive as some other big name instructors. I do plan on taking their fighting pistol class when time and money allows.

It does make sense to get the training first and use the competition to practive and keep the skills learned sharp. But you would agree idpa or some form of competition would accomplish this better than shooting down a range lane or trying to train on your own? It appears to me these competitions are supposedly set up to simulate self-defense scenarios,I would think that along with the stress of wanting to perform good or of being timed would keep your weapons handling and shooting faster and more precise than punching holes in paper every other Sunday at the indoor range.