White lithium
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > White lithium

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default White lithium

WHat about white lithium grease for the slides? Think it would bind up? Should I just stick to rail grease?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Here's a good article on lubrication. I experimented with the ATF/STP formulation & it is slick as all get out & stays where you put it, but the way I applied it, was kinda messy & a nuisance to mix it. Heard about Finish Line Dry Lube, a bicycle chain lubricant with Teflon, & opted to use it instead.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvRbanArms View Post
WHat about white lithium grease for the slides? Think it would bind up? Should I just stick to rail grease?
I don't think that the white grease will be able to stand up to the temperature change in a gun, I started to use high temp wheel bearing grease after ruining several dress shirts and slacks with gun oil. It may or may not be better than oil but the grease will stay where you put it and not run when warmed up. With over 1K rounds through my Glock and almost that many through my 1911, I can not see any wear problems or gumming issues at all. Everything runs smooth and cleans up easily, I do clean each gun after every trip to the range. I'm not sure about using ATF as it is a detergent or has detergent properties I should say, it is great for polishing metal, and will run easily.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross
I don't think that the white grease will be able to stand up to the temperature change in a gun, I started to use high temp wheel bearing grease after ruining several dress shirts and slacks with gun oil. It may or may not be better than oil but the grease will stay where you put it and not run when warmed up. With over 1K rounds through my Glock and almost that many through my 1911, I can not see any wear problems or gumming issues at all. Everything runs smooth and cleans up easily, I do clean each gun after every trip to the range. I'm not sure about using ATF as it is a detergent or has detergent properties I should say, it is great for polishing metal, and will run easily.
You're using grease on your Glock?!!!
Never heard of anyone doing that before. I'm actually surprised it hasn't gummed up on you. not saying you don't have an idea of what you're doing but Glocks take only a tiny amount of oil.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #5

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvRbanArms View Post
I use it & never had a problem - A little goes a long way-

Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3390 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 1458

I like to use it at places like sear to hammer contact.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used it on my glock. But just on the slide rail only. No internals. And I tried it on my m9. Again slide rail only. I'll use it till it proves not to be a good thing. See how it holds up After the range.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #8

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

So far so good, I use a small plastic hook tool to apply just a small amount to the same spots you are supposed to use oil. It is just a thin coating and I rub down the outside of the barrel with just enough to tell it is there. We are taking a group out to the range in a couple of weeks to get them accustomed to shooting different guns and expect to run 500 rounds thru the Glock so I will check it when I clean it up that evening to see what it looks like.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross
So far so good, I use a small plastic hook tool to apply just a small amount to the same spots you are supposed to use oil. It is just a thin coating and I rub down the outside of the barrel with just enough to tell it is there. We are taking a group out to the range in a couple of weeks to get them accustomed to shooting different guns and expect to run 500 rounds thru the Glock so I will check it when I clean it up that evening to see what it looks like.
I'd like to hear the report

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #10

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

White lithium grease is a good lubricant, for some equipment I guess, but I would never use it on my firearms. It can be very messy. I also think it would attract more dust and other grit than other lubricants. I have a Springfield NM M1A. I was very concerned about what lube to use with it. I did some research and tried different oils and greases. I found a great product that is designed to protect chains and gears under high pressure. It is synthetic aerosol product that comes out as a liquid and quickly turns into a clear grease. I use Q-tips to control the application of it in small places. It sticks to metal surfaces better than anything I have tried so far. I have been using it for a few years and it has worked very well. No, I don't sell the stuff.
clear_gear___cha_4ead7fa2110f3.jpg  

Last edited by BlueTurf; 02-03-2012 at 01:31 PM.