Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Where do you buy your ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Where do you buy your ammo?

I'm still pretty new to the whole firearm game, and not invested to the point where pressing my own bullets is anything I'm exploring. As far as hundguns go, I've got a Sig p226 that shoots 357sig, 40sw, and 22lr, and a CZ 75b in 9mm. I'm just curious what some of you more experienced folks have found to be the best options for purchasing ammo?

Thus far I've got most of my ball at Walmart and BiMart (a Pacific NW chain) and most of my HP online through Ammo To Go and TDS. I'm all for supporting the local gun shops, but not at the point of paying 50% more for rounds.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #2

Wal Mart is a good source if they have any in stock. Down here in SoCal that's been pretty hit or miss lately, and all the stores have imposed a 6 item per day limit for ammo.

SurplusAmmo.com and Palmetto State Armory are a couple other good online sources.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #3

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

As I have gotten away from cheap Mil surplus ammo quite some years ago I usually buy from local sporting good stores when on sale. Lately not much "on sale". However, I do find .308 Win. for as cheap as $14.00 a box and .223 for around $8.00 a box from time to time. Usually PMC or Remington brand for .223 and Winchester brand for .308.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #4

My local gun store has a good selection and I like to purchase and get solid advice from the local guy; I also buy from Cabelas and Natchez for bulk buys - when available.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Walmart is a good place to find range rounds. My local range seems to do there best to offer good range and personal defense rounds at a reasonalbe price but found if I am looking to buy in volume on line is the best. I buy from Cabelas or Cheaper than dirt

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Any where I can find it right now.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:10 AM   #7

"Anywhere you can find it" is going to be the most common answer to this question. I've actually had a lot of luck lately with the larger "big box" sporting goods stores. In my case it's been Dick's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain. Lately the local Dick's Sporting Goods has been absolutely great about having the ammo I need in-stock every time I walk through the door AND their prices aren't bad thanks to their buying power.

I'm usually all for supporting the local gun store, and of course I still am and always will be, but right now my local gun stores just don't have the buying power in a lot of situations to keep the most popular calibers in stock, at least in my area. For example, I've been to 3 gun shops lately that haven't had .380, 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45ACP, often all at once and even when they DID have it, it was in very short supply.

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Fortunately, it seems the "wherever you can find it" issue has started to resolve itself a little over the last month. I noticed the online options started expanding about three weeks ago, and practice ammo has just started showing up a chain stores the last couple weeks. It still gets snapped up quickly, but at least it's getting there.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Usually Wall Mart or Dicks Sporting Goods. There is an independantly owned place called Zack's that has a lot of G&A but they don't seem too friendly there so I don't go there often.

OC

"magbum"

Old 08-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I buy from....

I buy from my local gun store. Good prices, good service and no limits.