Where do I start ??
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Where do I start ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Where do I start ??

Alright so I have been watching the builds on here progress and I have decided I would like to get going on one myself.

So I need to tap into some of the vast knowledge on here. I have been looking around at frames and slides, parts kits ect. Who is the best to order parts from?? Anything to stay away from.. any good books on the subject about fitment adjusting stuff like that ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Alright so I have been watching the builds on here progress and I have decided I would like to get going on one myself.

So I need to tap into some of the vast knowledge on here. I have been looking around at frames and slides, parts kits ect. Who is the best to order parts from?? Anything to stay away from.. any good books on the subject about fitment adjusting stuff like that ?
Get the Brownells 1911 catalog and start there. Great place to see some of the best parts available.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

What's your skill level?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Novice with guns but very mechanically inclined

Old 10-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

While I'm a 1911 fan and I enjoy tinkering with them, I've never had the desire to acquire all the special tools & fitting jigs necessary to do a complete build. If I were going to build several of them it would probably be worth the investment; however, not at this point for me...

Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here's a link to a project that I started, but then took to a 1911 gunsmith for a real customization. I continue to acquire skills and knowledge, but I'm still not certain if I would be capable of a complete build.

link: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/1927-colt-sistema-rebuild-project-10296/

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams