when to try one hand or weak hand?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > when to try one hand or weak hand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default when to try one hand or weak hand?

i've been shooting about 6 months now mostly with a 9mm sig P226, a beretta 96D centurion in .40S&W, and a little with a colt delta elite 10mm....

whay kind of groupings should i have before attempting to shoot one handed(I'm righty)with my right or left handed with both hands...

for the most part i can keep 8-10 outta 10 rounds in the 6" circle at 36 feet with both the 9mm and the .40

the .40 is tougher for me as its DAO and the longer trigger pull still gives me a lot of room for error that i seem to still be working out.

curious what others have done before moving on.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Mack in my early military training, I learned something very similar to the Handgun Quick Kill Shooting Technique for one handed handgun shooting. Rather then explain it, I will embarrassingly and shamefully, direct you to go to these two websites on another forum.

They will do a much better job of explaining then I possibly can. I am more of a hands on person. If you have any other questions concerning the information, let me know. There are also individual instructional classes out there as well, but they usually end up costing quite a bit.

Everyone that shoots regularly and practices should be very adaptable and comfortable handling and shooting one handed at 3 feet to 15 to 20 yards, even with your off hand. Just like choosing the right handgun that shoots and feels right for you, learning to shoot proficiently one handed comes with practice, muscle memory and self developed and tuned instincts to your handgun.

One handed pistol shooting - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

Handgun or Pistol Quick Kill [ QK ] Shooting Technique © - Threat Focused Forums

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
i've been shooting about 6 months now mostly with a 9mm sig P226, a beretta 96D centurion in .40S&W, and a little with a colt delta elite 10mm....

whay kind of groupings should i have before attempting to shoot one handed(I'm righty)with my right or left handed with both hands...

for the most part i can keep 8-10 outta 10 rounds in the 6" circle at 36 feet with both the 9mm and the .40

the .40 is tougher for me as its DAO and the longer trigger pull still gives me a lot of room for error that i seem to still be working out.

curious what others have done before moving on.
Are you carrying?

If your answer is yes, 6 months ago.

PS. You need to capitalize God in your siggy.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I finally fixed my "milking" issue when shooting weak-handed last weekend. It was one of those rare days when I walk out of the range feeling like I've achieved something important, because I felt confident that as long as I could pick up my pistol, I could employ it effectively.
I'd reeled in a buttload of targets that Stevie Wonder would have been embarrassed of before I tried using my thumb to counter the whole-hand trigger press. In the end, nothing I was doing, whether it was strong-hand or two-handed, related to the problem of pushing my shots to the right. It was strictly a weak-hand thing, and IMO, if you can't shoot weak-hand you are halving the value of carrying a handgun.
It's not intuitive (And I've played guitar for decades) and it's not pretty, but it is a means of ensuring that you will win, even if things don't start out so well.
Start practicing tomorrow.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

IDPA has cured my weak hand shots. They should be practiced regularly.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Mack in my early military training, I learned something very similar to the Handgun Quick Kill Shooting Technique for one handed handgun shooting. Rather then explain it, I will embarrassingly and shamefully, direct you to go to these two websites on another forum.

They will do a much better job of explaining then I possibly can. I am more of a hands on person. If you have any other questions concerning the information, let me know. There are also individual instructional classes out there as well, but they usually end up costing quite a bit.

Everyone that shoots regularly and practices should be very adaptable and comfortable handling and shooting one handed at 3 feet to 15 to 20 yards, even with your off hand. Just like choosing the right handgun that shoots and feels right for you, learning to shoot proficiently one handed comes with practice, muscle memory and self developed and tuned instincts to your handgun.

One handed pistol shooting - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

Handgun or Pistol Quick Kill [ QK ] Shooting Technique © - Threat Focused Forums

Jack
Thank you for the links Jack.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

NRA - member for life

Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Are you carrying?

If your answer is yes, 6 months ago.

PS. You need to capitalize God in your siggy.
Cane,

I do not carry, my profession or occupation would have to require it for it to even be possible here in chicago and or illinois...

although i would eventually like to take the class they offer around here for a florida or utah permit, but more so just to be that much more comfortable and capable with the handgun.

and thanks.

NRA - member for life

Old 06-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
I finally fixed my "milking" issue when shooting weak-handed last weekend. It was one of those rare days when I walk out of the range feeling like I've achieved something important, because I felt confident that as long as I could pick up my pistol, I could employ it effectively.
I'd reeled in a buttload of targets that Stevie Wonder would have been embarrassed of before I tried using my thumb to counter the whole-hand trigger press. In the end, nothing I was doing, whether it was strong-hand or two-handed, related to the problem of pushing my shots to the right. It was strictly a weak-hand thing, and IMO, if you can't shoot weak-hand you are halving the value of carrying a handgun.
It's not intuitive (And I've played guitar for decades) and it's not pretty, but it is a means of ensuring that you will win, even if things don't start out so well.
Start practicing tomorrow.
Well, I see what you're saying, i knew i would get solid advice from everyone here...thanks gorknoids. I'll try something new today, after reading those links.

NRA - member for life

Old 06-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #9

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

One handed and off handed shooting is a must learn and should be learned very early. Though I am lucky at being ambidextrous I still practice one handed and off hand shooting as often as possable.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I practice weak hand (one and two handed) fairly regularly. I find I am a bit MORE accurate when shooting two handed, weak side as I concentrate more on the mechanics.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball