When did hangun grips start to be referred to as "handles"? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > When did hangun grips start to be referred to as "handles"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

When the hell did PC creep into the gun culture? Facts are most people really don't know the reciever from the grip frame. Yes, grip frame not handle frame. And I will say clip because it takes less wind to say than magazine and I am lazy.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #12

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
When the hell did PC creep into the gun culture? Facts are most people really don't know the reciever from the grip frame. Yes, grip frame not handle frame. And I will say clip because it takes less wind to say than magazine and I am lazy.
Grip frame or frame grip? Isn't the frame one piece and the grip or handle is a part of it. I think I'm going to start calling it handle honestly. It most accurately describes the part without exaggerating it with convoluted nomenclature.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #13

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Lots a luck, call Ruger and order a Black Hawk handle! The SA has a reciever and a grip frame.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #14

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I haven't seen too many people refer to them as "handles". Most people here call them grips.

You find "handles" on brooms, mops, hammers, and axes. Definitely NOT on guns.
Beg to differ Sir...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my personal viewpoint is that those that are more knowledgeable about firearms should correct the newbie's mistakes so they learn the correct terms and nomenclature for the firearm and it's parts, but in a friendly and unbiased way. if they are truly here to learn and gain understanding, they won't get bent out of shape or take offence. many of them are just new to firearms and don't know the correct terms for parts of the firearms and do want to learn. using the correct terms and names helps us to help them when they are having a problem.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Lots a luck, call Ruger and order a Black Hawk handle! The SA has a reciever and a grip frame.
Don't have that problem, no such fun in my collection.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #17

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Never before heard older or younger refer to grips as handles.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1619 Times on 1108 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
my personal viewpoint is that those that are more knowledgeable about firearms should correct the newbie's mistakes so they learn the correct terms and nomenclature for the firearm and it's parts, but in a friendly and unbiased way. if they are truly here to learn and gain understanding, they won't get bent out of shape or take offence. many of them are just new to firearms and don't know the correct terms for parts of the firearms and do want to learn. using the correct terms and names helps us to help them when they are having a problem.
There is a time and a place for everything. If someone is trying to order parts, I agree help them out! Tell them the proper names so there is no confusion on the phone.

Newbie training can be confusing. Most people are close to being overwhelmed by just trying to line up the sights to hit a can or target at the range. The range it's self is overwhelming for new shooters. You want to turn someone off from going to a range, overwhelm them with information. The idea is to let them have fun and become regular shooters.

I know people that can't point out a charging handle that can fix a gun in their sleep. Knowing the proper name of parts has nothing to do with experience. Knowing the proper names of parts means you have spent a lot of time reading about guns. I have seen people walk into a gun shop with a Browning lever action all tore down. They walk up to the counter and say I need this here thingamabob. They stick the thingamabob back in the action and show the gunsmith how it's broke and the gunsmith orders a part. This guy puts the Browning lever action back together on the counter and goes home.

I would guesstimate that 75% of trained armorers can't disassemble and reassemble a Browning lever action.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5758 Times on 3257 Posts
Likes Given: 5197

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would guesstimate that 75% of trained armorers can't disassemble and reassemble a Browning lever action.
Armorers are usually trained and certified by the manufacturers. A certified Browning armorer can reassemble a BLR, or he won't get certified by Browning.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

There is a time and a place for everything. If someone is trying to order parts, I agree help them out! Tell them the proper names so there is no confusion on the phone.
I just refer them to the owners manual. Lol