When did hangun grips start to be referred to as "handles"?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > When did hangun grips start to be referred to as "handles"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default When did hangun grips start to be referred to as "handles"?

Since I joined here I see what I have always referred to as grips on handguns being now constantly being as "handles. IMHO this sort of flies in face of traditional handgun nomenclature. Are we "dumbing down" the handgun nomenclature to make it more easily understandable orvwhst?understandable, or what?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #2

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I would think "handle" actually probably came first, as the old SA revolvers of yesteryear were referred to sometimes as "plowhandled".

I don't really have a clue, but it seems reasonable to me.

What is this in reference to? If the old SA revolvers, then that may be your answer. If newer semi autos... Then I dunno.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2960 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Next comes: holdie thingies.
Remember, in this modern age we live in, pointing out people's mistakes is the act of a hateful extremist (or racist), so stop it and just "go with it" you hatemonger.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 12-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I haven't seen too many people refer to them as "handles". Most people here call them grips.

You find "handles" on brooms, mops, hammers, and axes. Definitely NOT on guns.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1857 Times on 1272 Posts
Likes Given: 685

There are a lot of people who buy a few weapons and just shoot them. They don't read a lot about guns because they don't care about other weapons than the ones they own. There are a lot people that refer to a magazine as a clip. This thread sounds more like a pet peeve than a communication issue.

Just like there are many people who can bust an aspirin with a rifle, that have never set foot on a range. They have done plenty of backyard plinking and have been taught to shoot by someone with military training. They can't write a book about shooting but they are damned good at it.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #6

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I would think "handle" actually probably came first, as the old SA revolvers of yesteryear were referred to sometimes as "plowhandled".
Agreed. And I don't know where this guy is looking but I've never seen grips referenced as handles. Though I believe it to be a more accurate term. I would think the grip is the piece attached to the handle, usually screwed on, that's removable and interchangeable. This far I've yet to see our heart anyone differentiate between the removable grips and non, which seems incompetent to me.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5938 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 5487

When did people start referring to handgun stocks as grips?

This kind of stuff doesn't bother me half as much as the severe anal retentive types that go totally ballistic if someone has the temerity to call his magazine a clip.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #8

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

My much older brothers were in WWII and always referred to magazines as clips even though I personally know the technical difference. That probably came from their training with the Garand. Some people should really get a life and stop getting their undies in a bunch over this issue!!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5938 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 5487

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop View Post
My much older brothers were in WWII and always referred to magazines as clips even though I personally know the technical difference. That probably came from their training with the Garand. Some people should really get a life and stop getting their undies in a bunch over this issue!!

Absolutely.

I believe it was Jeffie Cooper that started that krap.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #10

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop View Post
My father, a Vietnam vet, did the same. I'm a big fan of being as proper and educated as I can in everything I take interest or participate in discussion in, so I took it as a kindness when I was first corrected here, but would never do so to him. Older generations don't take such things well, in my experience. And it's truly of such insignificance I can't even begin to explain. Lol

So much agreed!