When carrying - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > When carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
Since I have started carrying, I have cut back on my alcohol consumption a bunch (or it could be that I graduated college OR got married OR got in the military).

Regardless, I don't drink when the wife and I go out anymore. When we were on our honeymoon I was carrying while she was dragging me into a bunch of girly small town stores. One of the stores must have felt sorry about the poor guys cause they built a "Man Cave" in the back which consisted of a bar with some stools, a TV turned to a hunting show, and a fridge full of FREE BEER. I know, how could anyone pass that up? Right?

So I found myself back there about the time another gentleman discovered the sacred place and handed him a beer while I grabbed one for myself. As soon as that first gulp of sweet nectar slid down my parched throat, I realized I had my gun on me. What was I to do?

I could have finished the beer and stopped right there, but if I ran into trouble then I was gonna be in it deep. However, I don't look good in bright orange.

Then again, I could leave the beer where it sat and walk away, knowing that I don't want to put my future and safety, nor that of anyone who was around me in harm. Of course this breaks some sort of unwritten man code about wasting a perfectly good, cold, delicious beer.

Well I went with the second option because it was the SMART and RIGHT thing to do. Luckily my wife saved me by asking me to come take a look at something and I 'forgot' my beer, so as the other gentleman wouldn't scold me about breaking that man code law.
I bet it's all three. But that was a funny story. I wish I could find a store like that. I'm going to start cutting back more when I get a little bit older. I think I'm just going through the 21 phase.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 548 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
I bet it's all three. But that was a funny story. I wish I could find a store like that. I'm going to start cutting back more when I get a little bit older. I think I'm just going through the 21 phase.
Well I am only in my early 20's but I just have too much going on to go out drinking. Plus I never really liked it unless I had several REALLY good friends around me, some of which who would be sober. It's just always best to have someone around that has their head on straight to help make decisions when others decide to get a little bent.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 08-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1738 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13
And you start drinking, lets say at buddy's house do you put the gun away? Do any of you keep the gun on you after you've put back a few.
If your going to drink don't carry!!! If your going to carry don't drink!!! Simple!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #14

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13

I actually drank less when I turned 21 in December,actually it was before then but I was in high school and the years after anywhere I went had a smoking,drinking,hell raising section.

Started doing electric work and replaced that with 60 hour work weeks,but turning 21 didn't exactly spark my interest In drinking again.

I do enjoy a 6 pack of ghost river golden ale (local brewery) every now and then after work,in my own home. Sometimes you can catche at the local craft beer pub,but I never drink to get impaired anymore and when I do drink outside the house gun stays or goes in the truck if I have or plan on having more than one (some of these micro- brews pack a punch).

Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #15

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you go into a bar leave your carry in the car.
If s#!t happens while in the bar, get out of the bar.
Use your best judgement, if you think s#!t going to happen don't start drinking.
Things like this are real easy the older you get, now I don't drink more than 2 or 3 at any time.
When I was younger there were times I wouldn't have know what a gun was.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 08-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #16

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

Nothing wrong with carrying, if that's your thing.

Nothing wrong with having a few drinks, if that's your thing.

Nothing wrong with carrying and having a few drinks, if that's your thing.

This WILL require the use of what seems to be an ever decreasing trait that seemed to be much more prevalent in the average adult 25 or 30 years ago. No, not a Magnum P.I. style mustache. I'm speaking of good old fashioned COMMON SENSE.

Last edited by FrontierTCB; 08-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #17

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

When I'm drinking I'm either at a bar, my house or a friend's. You can't have guns in bars, and I'm not worried about carrying in my house or my friends houses.

Plus, a night of drinking could have bought ammo or more guns. I don't do it too much.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

you need to make a grown up decision. which is more important, drinking or carrying? doing either requires responsiblity. combining them is irresponsible. making excuses or trying to justify it, well......maybe you need to do some serious thinking and re-evaluate your priorities.

and yes, i too am a grouchy old fart and damned proud of it!
I never said I drank and carried. So do a little more reading before you start saying I need to make a grown up decision. I never said I combined them and never will. Just had a question about what one did when they drink. I said I put mine away. Sorry if that's not good enough for the damn grouchy farts.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

well when you pose such a question, it makes people wonder, like why even ask such a question in the first place. but WTH, i'm just some old guy on a forum. what do i know about anything?
Just curious to others thoughts on this! You seem like you know alot axxe. I'm just saying I'm not that dumb to drink and carry even if it was legal.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #20

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

No one should take the right to carry as only a personal choice. Many thousands of dedicated NRA and pro-gun activist worked for years to allow everyone this right. It will only take one reckless attitude to reverse this hard won freedom for all of us.