When Buying Used, Ever Notice...? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > When Buying Used, Ever Notice...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #41
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 531 Times on 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog
I won't even buy used CDs, so buying a used firearm is out of the question for me. Call me picky, but I generally just don't trust people. There are two exceptions to this rule for me, 1- If it's a rare or hard to find gun like a Colt Python for example and 2- If I know the seller.
I am the same way I have only bought two used guns one rem 870 for 150 and I traded in for a new benelli super back hawk ll . I also bought a used H&k usp 45 at cabelas cause I could not find one new at any of LGS.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

One thing that irks me is if I'm selling a gun to a dealer, it is old, obsolete, worthless, but he'll take it off my hands for $100. Then I go back a few days later and it is in the display case with a $599 price tag on it. A few days after that it is gone.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #43

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love buying used guns - I just have a hard time finding ones that I want. The last one was a Springfield EMP that was stated as "low round count" by the dealer. I looked carefully at the pistol and found only one magazine had been used and the barrel was clean. I asked to field strip the gun - looked at the wear on the rails, etc. - and decided the FFL was correct - low round count. The gun is like new and I've put at least a thousand rounds through it - the best used find in at least 5 years for me.

I don't find it all that difficult to look at guns and tell whether they've been used lightly or have had lots of use. I figure used lightly is as good as new.

As for wives....mine just left to assist in a two day womens' "Introduction to Pistols" class and took her: Springfield 5.25, FNX-9, Dan Wesson VBOB, and S&W .38 Chief's Special - she asked if she could take my Ruger Mark III Hunter because, "We never have enough .22's."

Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #44

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
One thing that irks me is if I'm selling a gun to a dealer, it is old, obsolete, worthless, but he'll take it off my hands for $100. Then I go back a few days later and it is in the display case with a $599 price tag on it. A few days after that it is gone.
If that "irks" you - don't sell them the gun - sell it yourself. Did they somehow force you to accept $100? if you don't think you're getting a fair price - deal with it. Ask for more, or sell it yourself. If they can sell it for $599 - good on them - that's how they stay in business.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #45

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
If that "irks" you - don't sell them the gun - sell it yourself. Did they somehow force you to accept $100? if you don't think you're getting a fair price - deal with it. Ask for more, or sell it yourself. If they can sell it for $599 - good on them - that's how they stay in business.
Have to agree
Before selling or trading a firearm I don't know much about I do a lot of research- I never go into a gun deal of any kind unarmed

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #46

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I trade in used guns all the time. You just have to look at them pretty good and if the price is right go for it. It's pretty easy to get going prices on guns. Gunbroker or one of the price guides will get you in the ballpark. Never get in a hurry to buy or sell new, or used. It's one of the best ways to to wrap your hands around the stinky end of the stick. It's good to know who you are dealing with too. But you get around a bunch of traders you'll find the ones you can deal with.

To the OP, Yeah it's funny how many will say no round count. Kind of like that little old lady from Pasadena that drove all those used cars. If you know what to look for you can get a good idea what's up though.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #47

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

Somthing else to think about. I had it happen. Trying to help a so called friend of 20+ years he got to hurting i bought a marlin 336 from him for 200 he had got it for his son about 5 years ago. Well i got in a tight took the gun to the pawn shop got a 100 bucks cool ill be back in a month to get it!! About 3 hours later get a call from one of my kids the sherif just left the house looking for me wants to talk. The 30-30 is HOT!! It belonged to a sargent in the state police(da da da da oh ****) He lost 24 guns. Thank god these guys know me and know im not a theif let alone the type to bust in a deer camp destroy it and steal everything i could. I sing like a canary. The mans guns were insured so he got paid and the pawn shop got to resell it. That fair priced 30-30 with the intent to help a friend out almost cost me my life as i know it. They got the 2 bad guys finaly with my friends help he didnt know they were hot either.
Moral of my story be very very carfull out there buying an trading used guns out of a shop( person to person no ffl)

Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5934 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
And that, sports fans is why I'd never sell to most dealers. I know the trade-in value of my guns before I try to move them. If the dealer won't give me book trade-in, I won't deal with him. (and most of them won't) If I have a gun that books out wholesale (trade-in) price of, say $300 and a dealer offers me $125 (common) I'd rather give it to a friend.

Some honest dealers will sell them on consignment for 10 percent. Those, I do business with.

Winston Churchill

Old 10-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5934 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Round count can be deceptive. Not long ago, I sold a Chinese AKS.

the buyer, a competitive shooter and part time gunsmith looked the gun over, and asked me if I'd fired it. he didn't believe me when I told him it had about 5,000 rounds of corrossive ammo through it. He said it looked to him like it had only been factory test fired.

Wanna know why I take very good care of my guns???

Winston Churchill

Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #50
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Round count can be deceptive. Not long ago, I sold a Chinese AKS.

the buyer, a competitive shooter and part time gunsmith looked the gun over, and asked me if I'd fired it. he didn't believe me when I told him it had about 5,000 rounds of corrossive ammo through it. He said it looked to him like it had only been factory test fired.

Wanna know why I take very good care of my guns???
makes perfect sense to me! a well taken care of item, retains much more value when you decide to sell it. i use my firearms, and treat them just like anything else i own, i use them for what they were intended, but i don't abuse them.