Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > When Buying Used, Ever Notice...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have never bought a used gun from a pawn shop, gun shop or any other business that sells used guns. Everyone talks about high used gun prices as recent. Every time I have seen a used gun in shop it was maybe $15 less than I could have got the same gun new. I have been buying used guns for over thirty years. My best deals have almost always come right before or right after hunting season from individuals.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 1752

I had a dealer, who was selling a S&W Model 657 as new, screw up and tell me he'd taken it deer hunting several times and it always harvested a deer.
I didn't buy it, nor anything else at his shop. Not because I had a problem with the gun, but because the dealer was not honest. I never went back to his shop.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #33

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
The fact that many folks don't realize they have to cycle 300+

rounds through an auto pistol would be a boon to the informed,
Can't agree with that. Maybe with some, but certainly not all. I've got a FIE semi-auto .22 pistol I bought for $50, new in the box, about 20 or so years ago. My carry is a Bersa Thunder, bought new in the box, about 6 or so years ago. Never had any problems from the first round thru either, no failures to feed, no failures to fire, period. Neither are for sale or trade, unless you come up with a really good price, or trade - I would swap the FIE for a good High Standard Victor, but that's about it..

Theo
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Time went bad and I had to sell off my guns. There were some very good ones in there. Circumstances dictate a lot of sales.
Indeed. Had to sell off some very nice ones indeed, raising two boys by myself. Then some @#$%^& broke in and stole the few I was able to keep. I am sure I know who did it, but was never able to get proof, nor were the police.

Theo
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #35

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Purchased or traded for many dozens of used military and sporting arms over the course of decades and test fired nary a one of them.

My system (if you can call it that) was:
research ( occasionally forgo this step for impulse buys )
inspection
purchase
strip/clean/detailed inspection
repair/adjust if need be
fire for function
fire for accuracy
enjoy
insure
maintain
upgrade

*always did ok with this including a couple minor bumps of course...caveat emptor

Be Well.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #36

Likes Given: 4

I've done OK so far buying and trading for used guns; the only time I got a bad one was from a gun shop. I bought a model 5926 several weeks ago and the decocker failed before I got to the range with it. The pistol worked fine while I was looking it over; the shop sent it in for repair at no cost to me. I got it back last week and it works fine now which reminds me... I need to go shoot it tomorrow

Last edited by tireless; 10-26-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20053 Times on 11406 Posts
Likes Given: 50589

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Considering I'm still legally married...
I'd trade mine for a runny watery dog turd, and I'd consider myself way ahead of the pack.
Trip, if it makes you feel better, i'd have traded my first ex-wife for a runny watery dog turd too! i know i'm better off now without her!
trip286 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #38

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I won't even buy used CDs, so buying a used firearm is out of the question for me. Call me picky, but I generally just don't trust people. There are two exceptions to this rule for me, 1- If it's a rare or hard to find gun like a Colt Python for example and 2- If I know the seller.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #39

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Saw a Colt SAA advertised as "Cly never turned" Very smooth action
When I advertised one of mine not too long back, I stated "Low mileage, less than 5,000 rounds fired."

Which, for me, is little used.

P.S. Hossfly,
I see you claim nearly fifty years handgunning experience. Welcome to the club, I count September, 1954 as my handgunning "birthday."

Bob Wright

Old 10-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #40

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
........ so buying a used firearm is out of the question for me. Call me picky, but I generally just don't trust people. There are two exceptions to this rule for me, 1- If it's a rare or hard to find gun like a Colt Python for example and 2- If I know the seller.
I've come across some pretty good bargains in used guns, most recent the Uberti Flat Top .45 Colt. Had to replace the base pin thumb screw and bullseye ejector rod head to get the gun like I wanted, but I now have a first rate shooter.

Bought two .357 Magnum Ruger Blackhawks some years ago, performed a little magic over them, and one now a .44 Special.

Bob Wright