Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   When Buying Used, Ever Notice...? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/when-buying-used-ever-notice-74891/)

KMO 10-23-2012 11:26 AM

When Buying Used, Ever Notice...?

I find it amazing, and even a little bit humorous, that most gun owners will support the practice of breaking in a new handgun by firing several hundred rounds through it, especially a semi-auto pistol. I happen to agree...it's a good idea. I've had pistols that have required 500 rounds or more (and some ramp polishing) before they became reliable.

But, it seems that whenever I go to look at a used gun for sale, it always is reported to have an extremely low round count, typically 200 rounds or less. This just happens too often for it to not cause one of my eyebrows to raise a little...:cool:

mountainman13 10-23-2012 11:31 AM

You'd be surprised how many people buy guns on a weekly basis, shoot them once and then trade them in. That said, not all gun traders and ffls are honest. You can usually tell if a gun has had a lot of rounds through it.

HOSSFLY 10-23-2012 11:43 AM

Saw a Colt SAA advertised as "Cly never turned" Very smooth action :confused:

therewolf 10-23-2012 11:44 AM

The fact that many folks don't realize they have to cycle 300+

rounds through an auto pistol would be a boon to the informed,

if the gun and pawn shops weren't charging 25% over retail new

value for these "low round count" pistols, anyway... :cool:

mountainman13 10-23-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Saw a Colt SAA advertised as "Cly never turned" Very smooth action :confused:

Lmfao. That's a good one. Even better than "never fired, great shooter". Lol

HOSSFLY 10-23-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 986563)
Lmfao. That's a good one. Even better than "never fired, great shooter". Lol

Folks get creative when discribing stuff for sale huh :D

mountainman13 10-23-2012 11:54 AM

They sure do. I often get laughs out of it and wonder if I'd sell more guns if I wasn't honest. If a gun is junk (auto ordnance 1911 for example) I'm gonna tell you and recommend something better in the same general price range. I get a kick out of people who bring me guns and say they haven't been shot much but they are packed full of lead and brass filings.

KMO 10-23-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

You'd be surprised how many people buy guns on a weekly basis, shoot them once and then trade them in.
Well, I will admit that I once came across the ultimate low-round-count revolver for sale. This poor young guy had never owned a firearm before, and he chose to buy a Ruger Alaskan .454 for his first gun. I have no idea how he landed on that selection right out of the chute. Anyway, he loaded it with .454 casull rounds, went out to fire it, it hurt his hand, and the revolver immediately went up for sale. His story was very believable. When I bought it from him, he didn't even seem to want to touch it!:eek:

mountainman13 10-23-2012 11:57 AM

Stuff like that does happen.

therewolf 10-23-2012 11:58 AM

My issue with used guns is the last person broomed it, for one

reason or another.
Anymore, I'm a little reluctant to discover

that true reason for myself, in light of the sad fact many new guns are considerably

cheaper.